What's new

RAM question

mix

Ok basically, my question is that, if I get 1 512MB stick of RAM will it be compatible with my other 512MB stick? They're both made by different brands, so will they work correctly?

Allnatural

Same speed, latency, etc., should work just fine. Any difference though, and the system defaults to the slower module. Should work regardless.

Clements

I'd personally use this opportunity to lose the old PC2100 RAM and replace it with new PC3200 (or better) RAM. You'll need two identical sticks for Dual Channel mode, which are best bought a kit to save a little money and ensure compatibility.

OP
M

mix

So should I get 2 x 256MB of RAM or 2 x 512MB of RAM? How much does 2 x 512MB cost? It's not my money that's going to be used it's a B-day present for me so it can't be too much. I'm gonna be 13! Also PC3200 is the highest my motherboard supports.

Last edited:

Clements

I strongly suggest 2x512MB, unless you cannot afford it. It's possible to find 2x512 RAM for just over $80 on Newegg.

Clements

Yeah, the Wintec is a bit crappy if you're going for good performance. It's not an enthusiast brand of RAM.

The GeiL RAM ought to be faster (due to lower latency), and also very overclockable too (thanks to the heatspreader and better voltage range).

OP
M

mix

Cool, well the overclockability isn't going to help because I don't know how to overclock RAM and I couldn't find anything on google.

Yeah i'm going for speed because I have to turn AA off to run UT2004 perfectly at the highest ingame settings, the jaggies annoy me alot though. It's weird my other games like Half life 2 and F.E.A.R run fine with AA on though.

How much of a peformance increase can I expect?

Last edited: