What's new

Radeon 9200se or GeForce FX 5200?

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Another "What should I get?" post... Sorry. :freak:

ATI Radeon 9200se ($52) vs Chaintech GeForce FX 5200 ($58)
128MB DDR

Both are about the same price range I'm looking for ($60) but I'm not sure which is better. the Radeon has the same RAM and connections but I can't find the speeds on it's site. The GeForce for a similer price I think is newer and also has support for DX 9, is this a good plus?

I'll just be using them for PC games, no emulation, so plug-in support is irrelevent. Please, give any oppinions. I can go up to under $100 if the better card is worth the extra price.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Get the Radeon.

The FX5200's DX9 support isn't worth anything, considering the "frame rates" it gets (read: No more than a single digit for anything that uses a lot of DX9 shaders).

OP
EdgeBlade

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Sounds good, I like ATI better anyhow. Is the card it's self still faster than the other? With the FX being a newer line of cards... or is FX just a modified version of something older... ;)

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Technically the FX 5200 is a bit faster, and it IS based on the newer NV3x line, but it isn't enough to warrant supporting it. Especially with nVidia's dubious drivers at this point. >_>

Remote

I have a fx 5200 and considering what I payed for it, not much, it's pretty good. Not even close to top notch but I rarely play games so it doesn't matter. I've tried a few and it does however play some games quite nicely, MP2 ran quite fluently however if gaming is what you want this card, even heavily overclocked, is perhaps not what you are looking for...

OP
EdgeBlade

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Allright, thanks guys, I'll definaltly go with the 'Radeon 9200se' or the 'Radeon 9200' if I can find it for a similar price.

Remote

From what I've heard you should go with a Radeon card but with a higher number, not sure which but perhaps 9500 / 9600. Not sure how much more that will set you back, perhaps eBay could have some nice deals...

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
EdgeBlade said:
Allright, thanks guys, I'll definaltly go with the 'Radeon 9200se' or the 'Radeon 9200' if I can find it for a similar price.

Actually, see if you can get a Radeon 9100... or even an 8500. (everything from 8500 to 9200 has almost exactly the same feature set).

OR if you can, it would be a VERY good idea to see if you can get a 9500 non-Pro (should be pretty cheap), 9500 Pro (bit more expensive, harder to find, but FANTASTIC card, plus one of the cheapest fast-performing DX9 cards), or a GeForce4 Ti4200 (probably cheaper than 9500 but no DX9). :flowers:

OP
EdgeBlade

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
According to pricewatch:

$127 - RADEON 9500 128MB

$124 - RADEON 9600 256MB
$107 - RADEON 9600 128MB
!or!
$156 - RADEON 9800 128MB

The 9600/256 is cheaper than the 9500/128!? But I could save for a little while and get the cream of the crop for $156. I told my wify and she said wait till Xmas... She'd probly get me the best one, but I don't want to wait. Oh well, I'll need to wait a couple weeks anyway to save up some more money for the next step up anyway, But id the 9800/128 worth $156 id I can get something with 256mb of ram for only $124? I'm just not sure what I'm giving up by using the 9600 line instead of the 9800.