What's new

R.I.P. Windows XP

F

Fanatic 64

Today is the day, when Microsoft removes all life support for Windows XP (and Office 2003, and Internet Explorer 6). From now on, XP won't receive any updates, meaning it will soon become a malware fest if just connected to the internet.

rip-windows-xp.jpg

I'm sure many users here, including me, have fond memories with this OS. It even predates vBulletin EmuTalk.net (Oct 2001 vs Nov 2001). I guess it's a good thing that EmuTalk outlived Windows XP, but I bet many will miss it, having spent over a decade using it.

This also means the definite death of Clippit.

If you like it's visual style you can get a somewhat convincing Luna theme for Windows 7.
And if you want an operating system with a similar design and compatible with Windows XP (and to which you can stick the original Luna theme) consider donating to the ReactOS project.

Sent from my Windows XP x64 Edition PC using Internet Explorer 6. Afterwards I'm going to go back to my laptop (with Windows Vista SP2 x64 :cool:) and wipe this PC, and find something that has all the drivers and runs reasonably well...

So long, fellow EmuTalk users. And goodbye forever, Windows XP.

EDIT: Post 666, how fitting.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
That screenshot is very fitting. No doubt XP was great, but it's more than high time to let it go.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Yes, that image is more then fitting as XP has grown from a clean OS to one that has new item planted within it.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
XP was great. Out of all the Windows OSes it was the most compatible and could have remain like that with proper system updates (usb3, dx11, kernel, proper ipv6, etc). It offered great hardware access on all aspects, something that new OSes only selectively do.

It will live on though. No matter what MS says, if you just want to run your old software (pre dx10) on your old single core system it's the best possible choice and will remain like that. Take the bloatware out, disable all sorts of network connections, anti malware apps and the likes and enjoy.

For networks and non-gaming it's goodbye though.