What's new

Qt Interface: Call for Translations

Slougi

Hey all,

I recently (yesterday/tonight :)) added support for translations to the Qt4 interface. I will add any contributed translations to the next release. Here is how to produce translations if you're interested.

1) Check out the translation directory from svn
Code:
svn co --username mupen64 --password Dyson5632-kart svn://fascination.homelinux.net:7684/mupen64plus/trunk/translations

2) Create an appropriately named translation file. You need to know the language code of the translation. For English this is "en", German "de", Finnish "fi", Polish "pl", etc. Append the language code to the filename like so:

Code:
cd translations
cp mupen64plus.ts mupen64plus_en.ts

3) Use the Qt Linguist utility to translate. On Ubuntu this is part of the qt4-dev-tools package. The binary is named "linguist", and has extensive documentation.

If you want to try the translation you will need the svn version of mupen64plus, compiled with the Qt gui.

Translations received so far:

Dutch (nl) by Surkow
German (de) by 2fast4u
Norwegian (Bokmål, nb) by olejl
Portuguese (pt) by Tillmann
Finnish (fi) by me

Last edited:

Tillmann

Whatever
hi, sorry for my ignorance, but my guess (in my humble opinion) it is that gettext utils could do it a better job, since the .po file could be applied to qt and gtk uis :D
why did you do not use it instead?

Edit: Using it it will not be needed to translate both guis :D

Edit2: Since The original Brazilian Portuguese Translator didn't show up with his translation file (over 4 months now) I felt that it was time to Mupenplus64 speak portuguese too :D

mupen64plus_pt_BR.ts.7z

Last edited:
OP
S

Slougi

hi, sorry for my ignorance, but my guess (in my humble opinion) it is that gettext utils could do it a better job, since the .po file could be applied to qt and gtk uis :D
why did you do not use it instead?

Edit: Using it it will not be needed to translate both guis :D

Implementing the translations using Qt was trivial, and I have no experience with gettext. I also find linguist to be a nice translation tool because it enables people on all platforms to contribute :)

Edit2: Since The original Brazilian Portuguese Translator didn't show up with his translation file (over 4 months now) I felt that it was time to Mupenplus64 speak portuguese too :D

mupen64plus_pt_BR.ts.7z

Thanks a lot! Two questions:

1) Can all people Portuguese-speaking people use this, or should this indeed be used only for pt_BR locale? Otherwise we could name the file with _pt suffix only for wider exposure.

2) In SVN there is now an updated file with new strings, do you want to translate them too? :)

Edit: Added the translation to svn with one small change. If you want to add the new strings please get the file from svn :) And thanks again!

Last edited:

Tillmann

Whatever
1) Can all people Portuguese-speaking people use this, or should this indeed be used only for pt_BR locale? Otherwise we could name the file with _pt suffix only for wider exposure.!
As far as I know, You can use the same language file to another portuguese speakers, Just you need to change the suffix for _pt (pt_BR it is used specifically for brazilian speakers, it acts like en_UK or en_AU for example)
2) In SVN there is now an updated file with new strings, do you want to translate them too? :)
Yeah man why not :D, the only thing it is that i've downloaded all the branches and used the ts file from 1365...
Should I download the .ts from another branch!?

OP
S

Slougi

As far as I know, You can use the same language file to another portuguese speakers, Just you need to change the suffix for _pt (pt_BR it is used specifically for brazilian speakers, it acts like en_UK or en_AU for example)
Excellent. I have renamed the file to translations/mupen64plus_pt.ts in revision 1380. This means it will be used for all portuguese locales, i.e. pt_* :)

Yeah man why not :D, the only thing it is that i've downloaded all the branches and used the ts file from 1365...
Should I download the .ts from another branch!?

I updated the translation templates in revision 1369, it is unfortunately not automatic yet and has to be done manually every now and then. You can just run "svn up" in the translation directory you checked out to update to the latest version, then edit the file called mupen64plus_pt.ts :)

Edit: Just to be clear, the latest translation stuff is in svn trunk.

OP
S

Slougi

Try running make and make install again so the translation gets compiled and installed properly.

OP
S

Slougi

make install isn't making any difference. Must KDE be running? I'm not running KDE.

Nope, KDE isn't required.

Are you sure your translation is being compiled and installed along with the rest? There should be some compilation output about that right after mupen64plus itself is compiled, before the plugins. The translations should end up in $PREFIX/share/mupen64plus/translations.