What's new

Qbasic

pradipna

Can q basic create emulator of game boy and game boy colour of of any? If yes than where can I download qbasic.:p I know basic qbasic.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
oh man, blast from the past, yes qbasic came with DOS if i remember lol, i dont think its at all sufficient for making an emu, you probably could do it but you are better sticking to more mainstream languages like VB, C, C++ or Java, qbasic is very old now.

bcrew1375

It is possible, I have one written in Qbasic. It's unbelievably slow though. It won't run at full speed on a 2 GHz computer, probably not even a 3 GHz. The sound is also pretty much non-existant.

Flash

Technomage
bcrew1375 said:
It is possible, I have one written in Qbasic. It's unbelievably slow though. It won't run at full speed on a 2 GHz computer, probably not even a 3 GHz. The sound is also pretty much non-existant.
Qbasic or QuickBasic ? It's a huge difference - in qbasic you can't even compile programs and make .exe :)

Flash

Technomage
pradipna said:
Can q basic create emulator of game boy and game boy colour of of any? If yes than where can I download qbasic.:p I know basic qbasic.

If you need to write emulator for DOS - learn C++, asm (both x86 and Z80) and use DJGPP.

BGNG

QBasic doesn't have any processor-level optimizations, which means what you get as a compiled EXE is pretty much a direct, fully-error-handling, unoptimized copy of what you see in the source code.

There's a reason "BASIC" stands for "Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code"

Erm, well... It's not inherantly slow, but C has always had favor for compilers. There's no reason there can't be a good BASIC compiler, but QBASIC is not such a good compiler.

Flash

Technomage
sethmcdoogle said:
Actually you can... QBasic 4.5 and 7.0 (7.1?) have 'compile' options. The QBasic that came with Win9x didn't have that option though, it was version 1.xx something like that. You can still get this version from MS's ftp as 'olddos.exe' which is a pack of tools iirc.
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Windows/Windows95/CDRomExtras/OtherUtilities/olddos.exe

No. QBASIC is "demo" version of QuickBASIC (4.5 is QuickBASIC and 7.1 is BASIC PDS - professional development system or something like that)
P.S. wrong link, working one is http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/tool_s/1.0/w95/en-us/olddos.exe

smcd

OK I didnt know the difference between QBasic and QuickBasic, but my link works (I just clicked on it :p) Oh well, I only ever used it for Nibbles & Gorillas anyhow

bcrew1375

Flash said:
Qbasic or QuickBasic ? It's a huge difference - in qbasic you can't even compile programs and make .exe :)

Yes, my mistake. It's just when ever I hear QBasic I assume the person is talking about QuickBasic 4.5. It still might be possible, but slower than you could possibly imagine :p

BGNG

Most successful high-level languages like recent incarnations of BASIC and C are more or less equal as far as capabilities and functionality are concerned (although Microsoft did a good job of failing to implement the use of pointers in Visual Basic). For the most part, no programming language is "better" than another, per se.

But in terms of C++ and Java, you'll be happier with C++, or perhaps just plain ol' C (which isn't a WHOLE lot different, but more straight-forward). Java is almost entirely object-oriented, which makes simple tasks like CPU emulation a hassle because you have references running rampant all over the place. Why would it need a garbage collector? Think about it.

With C, you'll be able to manage your program's memory on a low level as well as compile to native system code, which Java can't do. The net result is a faster program with higher flexibility and functionality. C is more approperiate for emulator programming than Java.

OP
P

pradipna

Java SDK is large. I won't be able to download that file with my PC. So, maybe I will use Quick basic and make emulator for GB and GBC. I have downloaded hadware info of GB. SO will any help me with coding. How will I start?:saint:

Cyberman

pradipna said:
Java SDK is large. I won't be able to download that file with my PC. So, maybe I will use Quick basic and make emulator for GB and GBC. I have downloaded hadware info of GB. SO will any help me with coding. How will I start?:saint:
Someone wrote a nice thing on writing an emulator.. I don't know where it is now (hmm). Anyhow most people will not tell you how to write an emulator instead they'll point you to existing resources. I suggest if you are planing a GB emulator you go to the GB sticky thread and read it. Lots of information reguarding the GB in there.

Cyb

bcrew1375

pradipna said:

Basically, it'd go:

1. Load ROM into memory.
2. Set CPU to initial state.
3. Get opcode.
4. Execute opcode.
5. Update the Input/Output registers.
6. See if an interrupt should be executed.
7. Repeat steps 3-6.

Of course, there's a little more to it than that, but that should be the basic flow of things.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Def go with C. Someday if you ever want to program an emulator for a more sophisticated system (say snes, and up) you'll be happy you learned your basics with a "real" language (excuse my bias :p). Java is fine for simpler emulation, but it has its limits.