What's new

Puzzled ???!???

Neo-TheAnomaly

:huh: Ermm bear with me on this. Im not too good with computers. I managed to do pj64k and made my own server but its nothing compared to this. I have quite a lot of DREAMCAST GAMES and wanna play them on my computer.

I downloaded Chankast and configured my ps2 controller so itll work with it.

1: my cd-r drive doesnt work
2: Is there anything that'll make this work. Put the cd into the dvd-rom drive and it will be playable on chankask.
3: The FAQ I found really hard, i dont really wanna attempt it incase i blow up my computer or something.

4: When u do all the stuff in the faq what do u end up with? a .rom ? and are they like n64 ones? 30mb in size or are they huge?

Thanks! Neo.

(My games are PAL, Europe)

The_Agent

This Is A Custon User Title :p
Neo-TheAnomaly said:
1: my cd-r drive doesnt work
2: Is there anything that'll make this work. Put the cd into the dvd-rom drive and it will be playable on chankask.
3: The FAQ I found really hard, i dont really wanna attempt it incase i blow up my computer or something.
4: When u do all the stuff in the faq what do u end up with? a .rom ? and are they like n64 ones? 30mb in size or are they huge?

1: you cant use your DC games in a normal CD-ROM, reason being is that dream cast games are on a disk called a GD-ROM (basically a normal CD but burnt different)

on a GD-ROM the drive has to read it from out side in, like vinyl, where as a normal CD that goes in your CD drive is read from the inside out, also the laser on a GD-ROM drive is more focused than that on a standard CD-ROM drive to allow them to put more information onto a standard cd disk infact up to about 1.5gig or more so i heard, so a GD-Rom disk in a normal CD, is a bit like trying to read 3 lines of text on a single page of a book all at the same time, good for ripping - bad for reading

2: part from going out and buying all the necessary things to rip your games from the originals on to your PC in CDI format (the best format to use for chankast) the only other option is dodgy means, but be-warned most have a intro by echelon and have ruined it for chankast use by adding a intro that chankast cant handle sometimes (I'm yet to use one but going on posts from this site i doubt i will bother ill just stick with trying to get me homegrown backups bootable)

3: i doubt you will blow up your PC, tho u might turn it into something just as useful as a food blender j/k , best to read up on that sort of thing before you do anything

(PLEASE NOTE: i will not be held accountable for any transformation/liquidation/Mal-use/or general "screwing up" of your own system best to save a restore point before doing anything "unsavory")

4: N64 Roms are totally different in there architecture an thus are a lot smaller than anything you can fit on to a CD, most home-brew dreamcast games are usually in the 100+ meg range, so most normal games are around 200meg upward

and if u want to know where to get them from
READ whats in this link first

[READ THIS CONCERNING ROMS/CDI's and other stuff]

hope all that helped

Last edited: