What's new

Problem with directx 9b (I think)

Asfarkus

Hi, this is my problem:

I used to play paper mario perfectly with Rice Daedalus 1.0d. Then I read in the forum rules that it was best to upgrade Directx and your video drivers. So I downloaded Directx 9.0b and the last Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 440 drivers. And when I played it, the grafics were all messed up. Can someone tell me what I did wrong? or what to do to fix it? Thanks. Look at the attachment...

Legend

I've got your answer. If you just got the new forceware 52.16 drivers for your card then that's your problem. you can try to use middle or low-end textures BUT since I have the SAME card I recommend you use Glide 0.5 + evoodoo 4.0.21 for paper Mario-I think it's the best choice for these drivers.

Last edited:
OP
A

Asfarkus

Thank you very much, so what you are saying is that I won't be able to use rice's plugin agian?

Trotterwatch

In Rices plugin try messing around with the combiner/blender modes. And ensure you are using the correct combiner, High end (or Geforce) not sure which one is the best for a 4MX.

OP
A

Asfarkus

Thank you all very much for your help. At least I don't see the grafics messed up now. I played perfectly papar mario before with the rice plugins and now after I updated, things are not the same. For example: sometimes when you were in a cave, mario turned all black, which was O.K. with me, but now I can't even see mario. And when I use the hammer, a multi color square apears instead the hammer. Things worked better before the update. Is there something else I can do?

OP
A

Asfarkus

Yes I did, and as i said, There is an hugh improvment in the grafics but there are still lots of bugs I didn't have before... ie: Toad town's floor is all black.

karth95

Lord of the Cats
Yep, I have the same issue, after I moved to the 45.23 drivers. The previous version, 42.whatever it was, was much better. downgrade drivers, or deal.

Trotterwatch

May be worth checking 3D Analyze out and forcing SW T&L... you never know it may just work :) I'm on 44.03 on a Geforce 3 at the moment and I need to use that in conjuction with the high end combiner otherwise the graphics are rubbish on Rices plugin.

Edit:// This isn't always the case, a lot of games work perfectly without 3D Analyze.

Last edited: