What's new

Problem with controller configuration...

Merlin644

Okay, here's the problem...I put in my 'Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D controller and popped open Project 64. Everything was going okay for the four directions on the joystick, the four digital pad buttons, and the four C-buttons. But when I came to the ABZLR buttons, as soon as I hit the button to place an input, the button was replaced with Z+, or rz-, and every time I hit a button after that it says 'sorry the input selection made is already in use'. Now that happens every time I hit a button to place an input under that controller. This means that I can't configure my controller. It was working for awhile so I'm pretty confident that the controller was compatible but this Z+ (which occurs if I hit the button while holding the joystick to the up, left, or right) and rz- (which occurs if I hit it while holding the joystick down) has my confused. Any help?

q_armando

Z+ or minus or X/Y stand for the analog input of your controller.
X stands for horizontal movement and Y vertical on the primary axes, Z and R are the same on the secondary analog stick ( to be clear on a playstation 2 controller it would be the one on the right )
I usually map the N64 analog stick on the primary analog of my ps2 controller , and the c-buttons on the seconday analog.
If you enter the wrong input when defining the controller plug in , you can momentarly assign a keyboard button to that particular contool and then re-enter the right one on your controller, this way you don't get the error of selection already in use.
Or you can click on the " Default " tab, which will reassign the standard keyboard layout to emulate a N64 controller, and re-enter each definition from scratch.

Another reason would be the analog deadzone.Even if you don't push any analog stick, the standard 'game device deadzone " might be too low and therefore too sensitive, getting a movement response even though you are not pressing anything.
Try to change the deadzone under the widows controller utility or maybe trough the controller plugin itself, that should really fiz your problem.

Windows XP Home Edition v2002 SP 1
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz 1.50GB DDR RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
SoundBalster Live!