What's new

Power Problems? or What does this part do?

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
I recently updated my system with a new motherboard and processor and used my old parts to build a friend a better machine. I got all the hardware set up, what I think is properly, but it apprently isn't. pressing the power button will give power very breifly, less that a second, and then cut off. the fans on the motherboard will spin once and then slow down. It sounds like a bad power supply to me, but it's new.

Also, something else I noticed was a part on the mother board that looks kinda bad, see attached foto. I don't think it's suppost to look like that, but I don't know if that could be the problem.

Ideas, suggestions?

smcd

Looks like a bum capacitor... if that isn't the problem, I'd definitely keep an eye on it for future problems. *it is what mine looked like when it "blew" a few months back...

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Yikes!!! The dreaded faulty capacitor syndrome!!! Yes, there have been a rash of faulty electrolytic capacitor components. A classic warning sign of a faulty capacitor is bulging. The second classic sign of a faulty capacitor is leaking, just like what the screen shot is showing.

Thus please see the website:

http://badcaps.net

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yep. thats yer problem. The big problem is capacitors aren't that hard to replace, but finding the right one is near impossible. If it blows, its probably easier and cheaper to get a new motherboard with today's prices. My dad works at a TV station and he fixes these things all the time, its a simple as soldering in a new one, but often you have to have one that is unique to your motherboard which means only the manufacturer has them and only if the motherboard is recent. Of course my dad fixes thousand dollar machines and the companies for them always produce the capacitors, but in your case, unless it happens to be a common radio shack every day capacitor, its not easy to find.

Flash

Technomage
Eagle said:
but often you have to have one that is unique to your motherboard which means only the manufacturer has them and only if the motherboard is recent.
No. There's no unique capacitors in common PC mobos. Any good electrolytic capacitor with same capacity and same or bigger voltage is ok.

If it blows, its probably easier and cheaper to get a new motherboard with today's prices.
No way it's cheaper - capacitors is only about 5-15% of mobo's price.
And if you know how to hold soldering iron it's better to to try to replace capacitors as it will cost no more than $5-15

Last edited:

Slougi

EdgeBlade said:
Whould a bad cap prevent the power supply from feeding the board with power?

Possibly, although more likely there's a problem with the wiring, or a PCI card not being plugged in all the way or something like that. It can definitely be the capacitor too though.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Flash said:
No. There's no unique capacitors in common PC mobos. Any good electrolytic capacitor with same capacity and same or bigger voltage is ok.
No way it's cheaper - capacitors is only about 5-15% of mobo's price.
And if you know how to hold soldering iron it's better to to try to replace capacitors as it will cost no more than $5-15

OK, I'm guessing you just didnt read my entire post there.

ChaosB

Eagle said:
OK, I'm guessing you just didnt read my entire post there.

No, it appears he did. You just don't understand that there aren't any "Special" Capacitors so to speak. There are capacitors that are non-radial, but that's nothing special. You go to Digikey.com and order one of their books, you look through it and you will know what we mean. Like he said, if they match the Capacitance rating (UF) it's fine.

Last edited:

Jakob

evil *******
Another thing worth mentioning, periodically, there is a really bad batch of capacitors, and it's becuase of corporate espionage no less:) Sometimes, a company comes up with a great new electrolyte formula, another company steals the formula.. but not the entire formula and starts pumping out the new capacitors for dirt cheap prices only for them to die a quick death, to this end, it may be worth checking out your motherboard manufacturers website and look for any recall notices... Then again, sometimes a bad capacitor is just a bad capacitor:)

Flash

Technomage
ChaosB said:
No, it appears he did. You just don't understand that there aren't any "Special" Capacitors so to speak. There are capacitors that are non-radial, but that's nothing special. You go to Digikey.com and order one of their books, you look through it and you will know what we mean. Like he said, if they match the Capacitance rating (UF) it's fine.
And voltage (same or bigger) of course. And they must be low ESR ones

P.S. Just replaced 6x 3300uf 6.3v dead GSC "capaSHITors" on Gigabyte GA-7ZXE with 6x 3300uf 16v Rubycon capacitors and everything is fine (16v capacitors was same diameter as 6.3v ones but just a bit taller)