What's new

possible CMOS/BIOS fryup!

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
My95ZR2 said:
Yup, that's why I like NT a little better. It stops and gives you a cryptic error message before hosing your system, where 9x/Me just hoses it :p

Adam

The above was *not* true for me:

I recalled after installing a nForce IDE driver on my Asus A7N266-VM/AA
motherboard, Windows XP Pro crashed after the first reboot, to boot
Windows XP with the nForce IDE driver installed, but after the second reboot, Windows XP Pro decided to run Chkdsk, Chkdsk reported orphaned files all over my hard disk drive and started deleting some files
without warning!!! Because of the above, I lost some of my priceless AVI
files. :ranting:

My95ZR2

Couldn't you of brought up the boot menu and told it "Last good know config" ?

Then again, I've done stupid stuff like:

I was cleaning out a partition and fixing it up to be just a swap partition on drive C: I moved (copied, whatever) all the files off it and formatted the drive. I then checked everything to make sure it'd still boot from that drive (WinXP was on D: ). It was kinda late at night, and for some reason Mom was ticked at me, and to me to get my butt in bed. I hit the power switch, watched the computer shutdown, and went to bed.

The next morning I woke up, and mom was ticked again. Seems she couldn't get the computer to boot ??? It dawned on me I had everything set up right, but no boot files to load. I told her it was her own fault for making me shut it down, and she told me I should of know it'd take me that long. Problem was that before I started, I still couldn't boot in, and that's what I was fixing! Anyway, the recovery console wouldn't let me copy the files over, no matter how hard I tried, so I gave up and reinstalled windows. It overwrote SP1 and all the hot fixes I had installed. 3 days after that, I had to system patched up (we have dial-up :barf: )

Adam

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

well, the CPU does have a heatsink but no fan. only fan on the computer is part of the PSU and it is directly forcing air onto the CPU in the proccess. I have pulled out the CPU once before, disassembled, and reassembled, but this all started before that happened.