What's new

"Plug It In" Open Source

BGNG

The project that I'm working on (non-emulator), I plan to make open source. What I plan to be able to do with the source code is construct it in such a way that it can easily be inserted into anyone's program to be used; no implementative conversions or program re-architecturing required.

For example, let's pretend that the source is wrapper code for file i/o. Let's say that this file is in "FileIO.cpp," has a header file "FileIO.h," supporting source file for online files called "FileIO_Online.cpp" and I was part of a development group called "The EmuTalk Bumsicles"... Let us also pretend that my file i/o method is brand new super-cool and everybody in the world wanted to use it; and thusly I release the specification and a lot of other development groups make their own code to work with my file i/o standard and their code can ALSO be included in anyone's program.

What I want to know, basically, is any kind of file naming convention that may be floating about. If my group name is abbreviated "ETBS" and my file i/o is called "Mega Filez," or "ME" for short, then how would I go about naming the files? I'm thinking something like this: etbsME_FileIO.cpp or perhaps ETBS_ME_FileIO.cpp

Any other ideas?

Cyberman

BGNG said:
What I want to know, basically, is any kind of file naming convention that may be floating about. If my group name is abbreviated "ETBS" and my file i/o is called "Mega Filez," or "ME" for short, then how would I go about naming the files? I'm thinking something like this: etbsME_FileIO.cpp or perhaps ETBS_ME_FileIO.cpp

Any other ideas?
Hmmm I suggest first using a file heiarchy IE
ETBS/ME/src/FileIO/BaseFileIOClass.cpp
ETBS/ME/src/FileIO/FileManipulationOperators.cpp
etc.

Putting source files in a heiarchy makes it easier to find what you are looking for I've discovered. If I didn't do that some of my source files would be a few hundred thousand lines long.

Cyb

OP
BGNG

BGNG

Whoop... "ME" isn't a very good abbreviation for "Mega Filez," is it? Let's go with "MF"

My knowledge of combining source files in C++ isn't very extensive, so I ask: will that work in the event someone wanted to program something with multiple "engines," where they would use both the EmuTalk Bumsicles source AND the Ubersoft Binkies source? By the looks of it, a directory hierarchy will only organize existing source files; but it won't allow the combination of two of the same thing, more or less...

For example, there could be ETBS_MF_FileIO.cpp and UB_MF_FileIO.cpp in the same project. Both do the same thing (and thusly have a different name), but are from two authors.

Cyberman

BGNG said:
Whoop... "ME" isn't a very good abbreviation for "Mega Filez," is it? Let's go with "MF"

My knowledge of combining source files in C++ isn't very extensive, so I ask: will that work in the event someone wanted to program something with multiple "engines," where they would use both the EmuTalk Bumsicles source AND the Ubersoft Binkies source? By the looks of it, a directory hierarchy will only organize existing source files; but it won't allow the combination of two of the same thing, more or less...

For example, there could be ETBS_MF_FileIO.cpp and UB_MF_FileIO.cpp in the same project. Both do the same thing (and thusly have a different name), but are from two authors.
Actually you put them in different directories under the same directory which could be the retronurcabulator interface directory and the code could reside in the bumsicle directory beneath it. Make sense? If you plan on the interface consisting of DLL's then you need to have within the common directory the 'interface' header file for both (because it would be the same for both). For your 'main' code you can name your files acordingly. IE make a sensicle name such as 'retronurcabulator_publics' for the definitions of public functions in a DLL, and for actual functions that do stuff you could have a file named 'inductor_reactance_gram_meter_adjuster' for something like that (as an example).

Cyb