What's new

pj64 4ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
(warning: if you don't know or care who i am, please skip this, but otherwise there's some stuff i want to say publicly). if someone else did this i'd be the first to complain of feeling sick...

:blush:

true (not very good) story .

well this really made my sunday, or week, or some longer time, to see there's been a v1.6 release. i was looking this afternoon for an n64 emulator for my little brother to play Smash Brothers and thought, hmm i remember one ;) but it seemed too sad to use something that wasn't pj64 (don't misunderstand, e.g. the 1964 guys - if they're still around? - and their work is just as worthy of respect; i just mean to me it's a reminder of my failing with PJ64). i felt it was partly my fault it hadn't been updated. well i did, i did f*** it up. i can't apologise enough, especially to the team. i'll come back to this in a sec.

the new release. haven't tried it yet but from the pics some of this stuff i remember playing with, before i dissappeared. it was sad, i thought no one would get to see or even know that we'd done more work on it. you know the project64 style was never to brag (much ;)) about what was coming. but that doesn't mean seeing peoples' reactions wasn't a thrill :) btw very much i was nervous of getting that off other peoples' talents, but it was a setup that worked for us for a long time, and as long as zilmar and jabo could afford the time, it didn't need to end. it looks like they have managed to find some time, and i'm thrilled about that.

as i said, i was going away for a few months. i got thinking about how much time i'd used up on pj64 and it scared me. i thought: if i went back, even just to say hi, i'd see what was going on, and i'd be unable to resist doing little things, and then i'd want to be bossing people around again trying to get another release ;)). frankly, working on pj64, even in my limited way, is more fun, in a deep satisfying way - yes ok ok its only a stupid emulator - than most things in my life. (yes, crocodile tears) and then maybe another two years would have gone. so, i felt so bad about not coming back, and that got worse as time went on, i did the selfish/moronic thing & tried to push the whole topic outta my mind.

seeing this release perversely is what's got me out of this rut. thank you! let me get "deep 'n' personal" for a moment. that period of my life, from before PJ v1.0 to 1.4 never quite felt real anyway, not because it was bad, but because it was so good, so detached from physical world, and i was with such a perfect (or close as) group of people. yeah, that sounds soppy, but behind the names you see on this forum are genuinely some of the nicest people i've ever (virtually) met. anyway, it's great to see that you guys are made of stronger stuff than i and you've made another good one by the look of it!

i don't know if i want any more involvement, or if you want me back. i don't think what i was doing was that important anyway. zilmar and jabo are the indespensible ones, to me, what they did was largely magic. but if someone could msg me & let me know how to contact the team that would be great... you still on the same irc channel?! it looks like most of the regulars (Gent! Radeon! everyone else!) are still around, so good to see. but also, makes me feel even more of a shit, forgive me. i have been around on other parts of the 'net, not doing much, you've probably seen me and thought it was a different Smiff. only once have i gone on an emulation site under a different name. oh so pathetic. no excuse.

i really can't help anyway right now, i've been well away from emulation, literally afraid to look at what's happening for 2 years. (in a Mario accent) I Know Nothing. i'm thrilled to be downloading the new PJ64 that you've done without me. if i can just find those er games. god forbid i find a bug in it! ;) :p. hmm that was in bad taste i know. you guys... well as someone (no doubt also a very bright boy) said in the 1.6 feedback thread: i love you guys (but i'm not gay).

P.S. i've been watching a lot of Spongebob Squarepants while i should have been working on PJ64/updating my website.

P.P.S my brother will be happy because he'll be allowed to play smash brothers again :p

Last edited:
OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
oh my god i'm still a moderator. i really love you guys ;)
/feeling bad.
/awaiting the flames.

just started 1.6. and you left me in the credits. f**k. you are so much better people than i. the only good excuse for this would be if i had actually been run over.
how am i going to make this up to you all...

oh my god #2, i have 150 msgs.. mostly from 2003. i'm really sorry if you sent me a msg and obviously didn't get a reply.

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

It's really great to see you back Smiff :) Of course you were going to remain in the credits to PJ64, you were one of the main group of people that helped to shape it into what it is today.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
to say ive missed you is an understatement and im not {}:{ :p

what ever you have been upto and wherever you have been i and the rest of the gang know it must have been pretty important to you and thats all that matters. Yes you can still find us on the old irc chan and of course the poxy yahoo we made you get :p Welcome baby nice to see you :blush:

Jabo

Emulator Developer
I guess this proves that we could have really written a book about our team and the adventure. "Project64: Behind the Games" or something

I was reading this and it kind of felt like I was dreaming, I had to pinch myself quite a few times. I think I can speak for the everyone on our team, and emutalk, when I express how much we missed you. Not only as a member of the team, but as a friend who helped made us laugh and enjoy things.

I hope you consider staying this time, and talking to us before going on any more fantastic adventures without us :p

I think you'll find its very easy to find us. (Just gotta know where to start)

Martin

Administrator
Great to see you back again, and that first post was awesome. :)

It's great to see what a awesome community pj64 has created, after all these years the key players are still around. :D

zilmar

Emulator Developer
hey smiff, don't leave, we promise not to send you version that crash your machine, We all have busy lives these days, and do not always do things emulation wise, but it is always good to catch up every now and then anyway .. I am glad to see you alive and kicking not run over. I know I still count you as part of the pj64 team and always will, gent wanted me to make sure you only worked up to 1.5 just so people did not bitch at you if he made a mistake ... your still part of the team .. even if we never do another release again .. or we do a couple more

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I hope you do a couple more, infinite respect for all you have done so far though, if you do more or not I will still respect you, there is no limit to what you guys can achieve it seems! :D

RadeonUser

Yeah you were really missed and this may sound a bit shameless(?) but you were missed both as our buddy and general foreseer type guy :p You're still as welcome as ever and of course you're not compelled to work on PJ64.

Heck look at me... Near the final release part of things Gent and Trotter were handling most of the testing due to my er... involvement in college life and general "Oh no! Its due tomorrow! Must finish!" type atitude. During the *final* run Gent even had to borrow some old lady's internet account at a public library to upload the final rdb :D

*waits for Gent to kill me and runs away*

So anyway, welcome back ;) Not sure if you received my e-mail but I fired you one a whiles back giving you a general status update. We're still the same wacky people :| Well almost... Jabo has gotten a bit more... "funky" *looks at the disco ball installed in the dev channel*

Allnatural

Welcome back Smiff. You're always welcome around these parts, Mr. Suddenly-Sentimental. *sheds tear at your first post* ;)

Had to check the date and make sure this wasn't an old thread dug up from the past, lol

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
aw, virtual group hug. what an amazing, quick and generous response. really, thanks guys.

z, j, hi and lol. again, so pleased you've carried on. i know you do that for yourselves, you don't need anyone else. you don't need to release. j, if i remember right, most of the time you don't want to. thank you because i (we) enjoy your work like everyone else. and thank you for not being at all angry with me (or not showing it! i would be).

trotterwatch, thank you it looks like you especially have been doing my job & well :) just from glancing at a couple of threads. i'm sure others have aswell, some names i don't know. i'm still amazed how the Right People get attracted to this project.

it's cool to see just about everyone i remember well reply so quick. i doubt anyone else has done a two year runner, have they? i expect some people have left for good reasons and that will be sad to find out. Project64 IS Zilmar and Jabo, if we have them.. it's not the setup.exe, it's not the source code (as some people seem to think is all you need to continue), it is the people. it's what's in their heads. is this sounding like a load of hippy bullshit? am i preaching to the converted :phone:

i've been having a go on v1.6 - a quick bit of mario, smash and zelda, on my new HTPC, and what can i say.. you didn't f**k it up! j/k of course, zilmar's and jabo's work is always good, at every stage. and it's still got that good old pj64 feeling, just a bit better. i'm already making notes, haha. (uh oh)

Last edited:

ggab

Emutalk Member
yes, nice to see you too :)
welcome back!

PS: your home page is still rocking, it has a lot of (great) information ;)

loopsider

See...this is why I hate the search function. I never thought you, smiff, had ever been missing in action for so long. I had read old posts (just searching for game fixes, etc) and you were quite active then. So I had in my mind that these topics were only a couple weeks old, and that old superman avatar was VERY familiar. I though "what a good moderator too have". Then I heard that you were missing in action in the 1.6 credits, i was like "what the heck?!?".

Then I look at your posts and all those posts I've read and I thought were recent were really back in 2003. Really crazy stuff.

Hearing these stories makes me like n64 emulation 200% more. It's like having Martha Stewart bake you a cake personaly :happy:

e2zippo

Nice to have you back smiff, i really enjoyed reading your posts back then!
Don't disappear again now :bye3:

Status
Not open for further replies.