What's new

Perfect Dark Blur Effect Problems

rampaging-poet

Hello everybody, I'm just a lowly noob who will like never show my face around again, but I couldn't seem to find an answer to an issue that's really been bugging me.
The issue in question is the fact that I can't seem to get the blur effect to work properly in Perfect Dark. It works fine with the default plugin (and I have indeed used the default plugin for some time now), but I'd really like to be able to use hi-res texture packs and whatnot and I can't get it working properly with the other two video plugins I have.

The first of these plugins is Mudlord's version of Rice's plugin, version 6.1.4. With this plugin, a single punch/tranquilizer shot causes the screen to go almost completely black. This darkness fades in time, but makes the game almost completely unplayable until it does. I've fiddled with most everything, but nothing works quite right and some configurations (especially framebuffer stuff) crash the emulator.
I also seem to be getting some choppiness whenever any character is nearby, but I'm sure I managed to clear that up on my own once and I can probably fix it again if I have to.

The second non-default plugin I have is Glide64 Napalm 1.0. When I turn on framebuffer effects and motion blur, the game freezes momentarily the first time the motion blur effect is used, then runs at about 80% speed until the effect dissipates.
With framebuffer off but motion blur on, I get a darkness effect similar to what I get out of Mudlord's Rice plugin, but significantly less dark and more playable. This darkness effect also freezes for a moment when it is first seen, but not for as long. However, there is a lot of choppiness while the darkness lasts.
The rest of the game runs just fine when the motion blur is turned off, but if I didn't want motion blur, I wouldn't have posted this.
Also, as noted in the Glide64 manual, I get significant flickering when the framebuffer is on and there is more than one player. Everything else seems to be working fine.

In case it helps, my computer is running Windows Vista (32 bit) and my video card is an nVidia GeForce 7900 GS.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to mention this when I first posted, but the emulator I'm running is Project 64 version 1.6
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this!

Last edited:

ThomasH

You may wish to become a registered member on the PJ64 home page as there are a few Beta test versions that may fork for you.

OP
R

rampaging-poet

I would, if I had any money. PJ64 1.7 is supposed to have built-in texture pack support and eventually internet/LAN play. Unfortunately, I'm broke at the moment, so I can't get it...

Thanks for the suggestion, even though I can't follow through with it at the moment!

OP
R

rampaging-poet

Thank you very much for for the link, I'm trying it now. Sorry about not replying until now, I thought I had set this thread to "instant e-mail notification" and so hadn't bothered to actually check the thread...