What's new

Pentium 4 3.0 HT slower than the old P4 2.4

Miretank

Lurking
I've got a Pentium 4 3.0 HT and a 512MB PC3200 RAM stick, replacing my old Pentium 4 2.4GHz and the old 512MB PC2700 RAM stick. I thought I would gain a lot of speed with this upgrade (hence I could OC the CPU higher than I could with the old Northwood), but that is not what is happening.

First of all, right after the swapping, my Vista started being victim of random BSODs. One of the diagnostic wizards said I should update my motherboard BIOS (my mobo is an ASUS P4S800, with the 1009 revision BIOS rom at that time). So I went to the ASUS site and updated it. The BSODs are gone now. Everything was damn fine, the desktop enviroment was slightly faster. Then I went to my XP partition to beta-test NullDC when I noticed the friggin speed drop on the game I was testing (comparing to the speed I used to get with the old Northwood 2.4GHz). The speed cut was about 45%, none the less. I contacted drk||razi and we talked about it, it's not NullDC fault. Convinced it was something related to my new CPU, I downloaded the Intel Processor Frequency ID Utility and also the HT check utility. The Frequency ID utility wasn't able to recognize my CPU, and the HT Check utility gave me two errors (see attachments below). They are not recognizing this Prescott Processor! Windows' Device Manager recognize the "two" CPUs correctly (since I've enabled HT on my BIOS setup), and CPU-Z also recognizes my CPU (screenshot and LOG attached, and yeah, I even OC'ed the processor).

Checking those utilities' help, I was strongly advised to try another mobo BIOS. And that's what I did last night. Tried switching back to my mobo bios' default (revision 1008) and regained 10% of speed. But that's not enough, it is slower than my old Pentium 4 2.4GHz!

Could someone explain me what is happening? Why the performance decrease? Isn't my mobo handling things right? Any kind of help is EXTREMELY welcomed. :)

Toasty

Sony battery
I'm only replying because no one more knowledgeable has yet. :p I have absolutely no experience with HT processors, but the first thing I think I'd do in your situation would be to try disabling HT and see if the problem persists.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Apparently, you have the wrong version of the Intel utility.

Also, make sure that the heatsink and fan are setup properly.

Garstyciuks

My friend has a P4 2.8GHz HT processor and 1 stick of 512 ram. With HT enabled, he is experiencing constant crashes. The support service told him to disable HT, and with it disabled, his pc works fine. They explained why his pc was crashing, but my friend isn't quite a tech guy, so he doesn't remember what they said. :p