What's new

pentium 3 or celeron?

Ruthless_Edge

owns a dollar-can buy your ass
Hello this is my shameless thread to stick my nose out and introduce myself...I am a noob *ducks to try and avoid any possible projectile objects* to the Emutalk forums. However, I am just a noob as I signed up just today. I have followed Emutalk ever since emulation64 merged with emutalk etc (or however it went, cant remember now.) anyways, I love the site and format. It always keeps me updated as im a major emulation gaming freak. As a matter of fact, emulation is what got me started and into computers in general. I know quite a bit about computers, but I don't savvy myself as a guru or geek.

So hello everyone and welcome me. You all seem like a very nice community and you all also seem friendly.

My question is (to make this not a worthless thread) which is better? As you can see in my specs, im using a celeron but basically what im wanting to know is lets say for example I tried in the same machine my specs are under, would a pentium 3 outperform a celeron of the same speed?

I've done alot of research on my crappy desktop system. Basically because of the motherboard, nothing can be upgraded any further except the memory, but only to a full 512mb. So basically its at its peak performance, and I think it shows when the computer is in extensive use for a good while, and once you turn off the system, and open the case, pretty much every major part inside is close enough to being too hot to touch if it got any hotter.

right now I cannot afford upgrading to a newer system. But I was just wondering out of curiousity if a pentuim 3 is better because thats the only other processor that can be switched with. maximum speed is 1.4 ghz as well.

Also, I was wondering if it did, what kind of performance increase would it provide?

Thanks for your answers. I hope to be a good member and not bug any of you (good luck with that by the way)

GCFreak

You would notice a speed difference with a Tualatin Pentium III, as the Celeron is nowhere near Gaming standard. Welcome to emutalk!

revl8er

That Damn Good
Well most people can run mario 64 at full speed. I was able to run it at full speed on a 900mhz gateway pc with an intel chipset and 128mb ram on 1964 and pj64.

Clements

The performance increase would be very small, a couple of percent faster in an emulator. Probably not worth the cash as a P3 1.4GHz is still rather costly even now.

OP
R

Ruthless_Edge

Ok well thanks for everyone's input. I was hoping if it would be a signifigant increase. I wouldnt mind paying $50-$100 but since clements answered the question rather fluently, I will just keep with my celeron. I have a laptop also, thats a big faster as its a p4 2.0 ghz 768mb memory, 64mb radeon 9000, just at the moment im waiting for toshiba to give me an rma number so i can ship my new hard drive thats not even 6 months old back to them for repairs since it took a dump on me. i much prefer the laptop, as everything is so much speedier, even with the crappy 64mb card compared to my 256 card on my pc, but the diff is the desktop is only pci, as the laptop i belive is 8x. gotta make with what ya got.

oh and mr xbox lover freak.....sorry about the thread being in the wrong topic. I recalled there being a tech talk but i looked for it and couldnt find it. I guess i was overlooking it or something. anyways sorry for the mistake in topic posting. also my apologies for the name xbox lover freak :p cant think of ur name at the moment and too lazy to go back hehe.

thanks again everyone. :)

(ps) all major emulators run fine and at full speed with practically every game for every system on up to before gc, xbox, and ps2 emulators lol......oh and i love pj64 and 1964 the authors all deserve a medal!

:party: settle for a beer? :p

jamesyfx

We've just bought a bunch of Pentium 3 machines. For £50 each. Old technology though.

Dual Processor ones.. 600MHz x2, SCSI hard drive, pre-DDR memory etc.. really old technology.

OP
R

Ruthless_Edge

Heh, well not to be mean or anything. I'm not tryin to offend him or anyone else, and im sure he finds the nickname amusing as well. :p But like I said ive kept an eye on this place for a long time now and every time theres a new thread from him, typically its about xbox. and furthermore, every mention of xbox and his replies are giddier than a schoolgirl. Hehe. :-D But thats ok, Jaz or rather "mr xbox lover freak" seems like a really cool and nice guy much like the rest of you chaps.....

(i know, could i KISS anymore ass? :bouncy:

BlueFalcon7

sorry for being a few days off but, i say get a celeron dual core, and overclock it to 2.8 ~ 3GHz (depending on your coolant system) and ur good to go

WhiteX

Ruthless_Edge said:
Heh, well not to be mean or anything. I'm not tryin to offend him or anyone else, and im sure he finds the nickname amusing as well. :p But like I said ive kept an eye on this place for a long time now and every time theres a new thread from him, typically its about xbox. and furthermore, every mention of xbox and his replies are giddier than a schoolgirl. Hehe. :-D But thats ok, Jaz or rather "mr xbox lover freak" seems like a really cool and nice guy much like the rest of you chaps.....

(i know, could i KISS anymore ass? :bouncy:

Yes, indeed you could kiss his actual ass. :evil:

OP
R

Ruthless_Edge

i like your reply whitex, haha......

just pm me his address and ill find him and do just that!:bouncy:

oh and bluefalcon7, i doubt i can do that because i dont have a dualcore system. its just a socket 378 (i think, cant remember exactly) and the max speed is 1.4 ghz.

sorry if im off a little on all this, i did my research like 2 years ago lol.

anyways, my only question was typically meant to be which would be better in general? like with the same exact system specs, the only diff being p3 or celeron, to give me a better idea of what im looking at here lol.

WhiteX

Celeron is budget, P3 is the main line (for that time) so it is quite safe to say that with the same specs and the same cpu speed that the p3 will be faster.

GCFreak

Ruthless_Edge said:
socket 378

Socket 370 ;)

BlueFalcon7 said:
sorry for being a few days off but, i say get a celeron dual core, and overclock it to 2.8 ~ 3GHz (depending on your coolant system) and ur good to go

There's no such things as a Dual Core Celeron ;) I think you mean a Celeron D (Which is based on the Pentium 4 Prescott).

:)