What's new

Pcsx2 <running PS1 games on>

halfdan

Hi,

I've got the simulator Pcsx2 and I am trying to run Final Fantasy VII on it. This works for perhaps ten seconds - when the playstation intro plays. After this the screen turns black. Can anybody help me out with this?

xneoangel

Persona User
As far as i know PCSX2 doesnt support PS1 games i f you want to play FFVII on your PC go get a PS1 emulator like ePSXe.

BTW why did you post this on the programming section?

Last edited:

Cyberman

Hi,

I've got the simulator Pcsx2 and I am trying to run Final Fantasy VII on it. This works for perhaps ten seconds - when the playstation intro plays. After this the screen turns black. Can anybody help me out with this?
  1. Welcome to Emutalk
  2. This forum is programing, the correct forum is Other Emulation Discusion
  3. Please take some time looking at the forums before posting, as this had nothing to do with programming, unless you were considering modifying PCSX2's source code.
  4. Please take the time to make a title that describes your question in a brief and susinct manner so people can know what you are asking and if they can help you or not.
I'm moving this thread to Other Emulation Discusion
Cyb

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It would be foolish to run a PS1 game on a PS2 emulator since the PS2 emulators are still premature and compability isn't great. PS1 emulators on the other hand are very compatible and can make most games work.

OP
H

halfdan

Hi again,

First of all - I'm sorry for posting the thread in the wrong forum and with a bad title. I had tried to work out the emulator all night, but still I should be able to post in a right place and with an informable title. Sorry.

I am trying to start the game with the ePSXe simulator now - as suggested. I am finished configuring it, but it still seems to be a problem. When I try to start a game in the emulator I get two messages:

"Missing render texture extension"
"No pixel format available"

Does anyone know what I can do to make the emulator work properly?

Doomulation

Depends on your graphics plugin and your GFX card. Try pete's plugin and the lowest settings and work your way up.

OP
H

halfdan

I have got Pe.O.P.Soft Driver 1.17 as my video plugin. When I run bios it works perfectly but when starting the game the screen turns dark...

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Posting your computer specs can help us solve the problem or at least give some recommendations.

Cyberman

I have got Pe.O.P.Soft Driver 1.17 as my video plugin. When I run bios it works perfectly but when starting the game the screen turns dark...
It does that on my machine as well, however you probably should wait quite a seconds before deciding it's not working. :D
Your original post sounds like you were using 2.xxx of pete's OGL plugin, DON'T it's only good if your card supports many of the advanced features it uses.
DX or OGL 1.XXX versions should be what you use. If you have a REALLY old card DX6 variant works well.

Another thing BE CERTAIN you have set up your CD correctly. This sounds like you didn't. Essentially the playstation thinks there is no CD. Check to be sure you set the CD plugin AND you set the drive number correctly for ePSXe to querry the drive.
My recomendation is to grab ePSXeCutor and use that it allows you a plethora of configurations for any number of games and makes your life much easier.

Cyb

OP
H

halfdan

Now it works!

The only problem left is that the music (and the screen) stops up once for a short moment once in a while - the game is not so smooth as on Playstation. Can this be fixed?

Clements

You might want to make an ISO of your PSX CD(s) if you have the space as reading from CD is often quite a bit slower than reading from a hard drive.

You could also try switching to another SPU plugin like EternalSPU which works a bit better for Final Fantasy games (has a few special settings that need to be checked) if it's those in particular than have the problems.

Doomulation

You might want to make an ISO of your PSX CD(s) if you have the space as reading from CD is often quite a bit slower than reading from a hard drive.
Nonsense. Today's drives can do it just fine. Just set to no read ahead and you'll be streaming from the CD live with no pauses.
If pauses occour, then the CD is scratched, dirty or your reader is just slow.
If it is simply pauses in the audio, then it is probably the audio plugin's fault.

You could also try switching to another SPU plugin like EternalSPU which works a bit better for Final Fantasy games (has a few special settings that need to be checked) if it's those in particular than have the problems.

AFAIK, only Null has accurate emulation, at least of FF9. The others work fine, but they cannot do everything right.
Good plugins include Null, Pete's and Eternal.

OP
H

halfdan

I've switch to EternalSPU now. The music is still stopping up - it use to happen when I go into fights. Can it be something with the graphics that is slowing it down? Would it be better if I changed from P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.17 to for example Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.8 (a newer (?) plugin)

Clements

Nonsense. Today's drives can do it just fine. Just set to no read ahead and you'll be streaming from the CD live with no pauses.
If pauses occour, then the CD is scratched, dirty or your reader is just slow.
If it is simply pauses in the audio, then it is probably the audio plugin's fault.

AFAIK, only Null has accurate emulation, at least of FF9. The others work fine, but they cannot do everything right.
Good plugins include Null, Pete's and Eternal.

Not nonsense. Making an ISO is common advice for skipping problems (and also a reduction of load times). I'm paraphrasing Lord Kane's ePSXe config site where it says to make ISOs from CDs as well as use EternalSPU for FF7 (and also FF9).

Lord Kane's FAQ said:
Lag When switching screens

There are 2 possibilities here

1. It's owing to the CD-Rom access time. Try creating an ISO from the CD-Rom, then run it directly in ePSXe (File>Run ISO), or
2. You are using OpenGL2 and have left Framebuffer Effects on 1 or 2. This introduces pauses when invoking framebuffer effects, like the fade out effect. Set FE to 3 to solve this

[ePSXe Configs]

His problem though is probably due to the framebuffer battle swirl that can cause slowdowns with Pete's D3D/OpenGL1 plugins.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
I have to agree. The cinematic areas in FF9 always skipped horribly for me when I played straight off the disc. PSX games are among the few that are actually easy to rip with conventional equipment too. :)

Doomulation

Toasty & Clements: I have played both FF9 & MMX6 without pausing & skipping directly from the CD / CDs. That goes to prove it isn't impossible.
Oh and btw, if you're using Pete's plugin, try pressing Delete. You'll see a little FPS counter there... It should stay on 50/60 (PAL/NTSC) respectively. If not, then your computer can't handle the emulation, and yes, that probably means you have to lower your GFX settings. If not, then it's probably the Audio Plugin's fault.

Last edited:
OP
H

halfdan

I have lowered my GFX settings and the game is working perfectly now. The only problem is how to save. I have tried to download some memcard plugins but it doesn't seem like they work properly..