What's new

PC Upgrade.

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
Ive decided that im now gonna be goin for a few more upgrades, but this time it'll be a bit more major.
I want this comp to last a while, and to do that, i wat to have the formats that have been introduced and, in the last few months, have been set as the new standard, such as SATA and PCI-Express, so im going to not only change the motherboard, but the processor to an athlon 64 and a geforce 6800 PCI-Express card.
Now this will prob happen over the next 3 months, by decidin exactly wot products and where i'm goin to buy them from.
So im wonderin a few things:
1. when i install all of this, will i have to format my hard drive so it'll be able to work wiv them properly?
2. What is a gud motherboard at the mo wiv wot i want? i'd like a fair few usb ports followed by some firewire ones too.
cheers

Last edited:

GCFreak

hmm....i think firewires only for laptops? :p DO NOT make the move to athlon 64, ur cpu's alright as it is ;) but u might have to upgrade to athlon 64 cause i dont know any particular intel mobo's that have pci express :p

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
GCFreak said:
hmm....i think firewires only for laptops? :p DO NOT make the move to athlon 64, ur cpu's alright as it is ;) but u might have to upgrade to athlon 64 cause i dont know any particular intel mobo's that have pci express :p
:plain: Right.
No offence but is there anyone ELSE to give me some useful help please?

xneoangel

Persona User
Thats great that motherboard is pretty good and if you get an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ your computer will be a dream.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
GCFreak said:

There are plenty intel motherboards that supports pci-e.

I can suggest an Ati x800xl, you get a great card for that money that it cost. I think it's a litte cheaper then a 6800GT (just know the prices in sweden ^^) and
a little better too (orginal without oc).

xneoangel

Persona User
GCFreak said:
w00t nice mobo, get athlon x2 64 3800+ thats much better...
i suggest get a Geforce 7800gtx :)

Yeah everyone wants one of those but they cost more than 500$ ... sigh

WhiteX

in my country we have this saying:
"A GeForce 7800GTX is like a midget´s funeral, we know they exist but no one ever saw one".

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
well i passed my exams yesterday so i can go into sixth form :D:D:D
so i think me dad is givin me £100 for each grade i passed, which will be £500 in total :D
so if i sell the graphics card, processor, motherboard, i'll definitely get the 7800GTX and the athlon 64 X2 3800+ :D

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
an update, ive found the best deals i could, so im gonna buy an overclocked 7800GT for £300, along wiv a athlon 64 X2 4200+ for £250, and the motherboard for £80
so i'll try to sell the 3.2ghz processor for £100, motherboard for £50, and graphics card for £50, if anyone is in the uk and is interested and has paypal, PM me :D

GCFreak

DarthDazDC said:
an update, ive found the best deals i could, so im gonna buy an overclocked 7800GT for £300, along wiv a athlon 64 X2 4200+ for £250, and the motherboard for £80
so i'll try to sell the 3.2ghz processor for £100, motherboard for £50, and graphics card for £50, if anyone is in the uk and is interested and has paypal, PM me :D

*wishes i live in uk so i can get ur fantastic specs, weeps*

lol, excellent choice, does that 7800gt have pixer shader model 3.0?

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
yep.
im thinkin of gettin a lower processor, maybe the athlon 64 X2 3800+ again or the athlon 64 4000+