What's new

pc slowdown

Ruthless_Edge

owns a dollar-can buy your ass
Hi I am having some problems with a pc. I have tried scanning for viruses, spyware, defrag, reducing startup items, etc.

for some reason though, this computer is very slow. its really odd, too. as there are two pcs in this house, and the other one is almost as fast, but not as fast as this one, and not only that, but the other computer also usually operates two login names at the same time (so therefore, uses more resources) yet it is still faster than this one.

can anyone give me suggestions of things to look into, try, etc.? if i boot into safemode, the computer works fine, but once things start loading up it really slows down. almot to the point of not even bothering with it.

programs, utilities, resources, web links, anything.

the only thing i can think of at this point is to reformat everything, which i dont have the time to do so thats why i came to you guys. if anyone needs more details, specs, etc let me know.

WhiteX

Check your PSU.
Check your PC for Overheating.
Check for uninstalled sofware leftovers.

smcd

Sometimes adware/spyware etc can do a good job of hiding - plus not all can be detected since some are newer than definitions for scanners... Rootkit revealer might be able to detect ultra-stealthy programs running on your machine.

OP
R

Ruthless_Edge

where would i get this rootkit revealer?

i said i was hoping not to reformat, as i dont have all that free time

psu is fine. its brand new, not even a month old, and it was still slow even before the newer psu was installed.

temp is average. not overheating. not even close.

how do i check for "uninstalled software leftovers"?]

any other ideas?

Toasty

Sony battery
Start->Run->"msconfig"->OK.

On the Services and Startup tabs, try unchecking items that look like they might be the culprits, then reboot.

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
u could try cleaning up your registry

i used
WinASO Registry Optimizer;
and got a cleaner running system

OP
R

Ruthless_Edge

i did the msconfig thing before. tried the "safe" mode option i think it was, basically the one that unchecks everything. that made the computer speed up back to where it should be, so obviously its something there. maybe it would help if i showed the msconfig startup items? you guys point out to me what might be the prob, cuz i dont know and dont want to uncheck too much, they do use SOME of the resources, and i dont want to cripple xp on them.

cant think of the specs at the moment, but either way it doesnt matter as both are relatively fast, and my old pc i used to have was only like 1.3 ghz celeron, these are a p4 and a dual core, the dual core being the slow one, and it had a p3 before with an older motherboard, and even after the upgrade my celeron pc was still faster.

ill try that rootkit revealer when i get a chance, and the other softwarez. thanks.

Miretank

Lurking
Hmm, I didn't read the entire thread. My bad.

Edit: or maybe not. Just because a spyware search gave no results, doesn't mean it is malware free. Dude, if possible, post a shot of your task manager.

Last edited: