What's new

Paper Mario possible issue

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Dunno if it's a real issue never having played it on an N64, but I am having a problem in one of the side quests. I am trying to get Luigi's autograph, but when I go home, he isn't there. Inside, at the back of the house there are musical notes rising from the floor, and there appears to be some sort of trap door though I don't see any way of opening it. I tried bombing it and hammering it but neither work. One FAQ I read said he should be sitting on a rock, singing, but as I said he isn't there. There isn't a rock either. The reason I think this might be an emu/plugin issue is that the musical notes seem to suggest that Luigi is singing, as the faq says, but he doesn't appear. I have tried both Rice's 5.3.1 and Jabos 1.5 GFX plugins. The problem could also be that this part of the side quest needed to be done before starting chapter 2, but that doesn't sound like something Nintendo would do in a Mario game as then there is no way to get any further in the side quest without Luigi's autograph.

I'm just taking stabs in the dark, though. Maybe someone can shed some light on this?

head21

¸,~*'~,¸¸,~'*²¹
I'll just tell ya its not the emu, You can not
do the side quest al at once play a little futher
in the game and then go back and he'll be on the
rock. And once you get the ground pound you can
ground pound the floor where the music was coming
from to find???... you'll just have to see. :whistling

OP
Qun Mang

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
head21 said:
I'll just tell ya its not the emu, You can not
do the side quest al at once play a little futher
in the game and then go back and he'll be on the
rock. And once you get the ground pound you can
ground pound the floor where the music was coming
from to find???... you'll just have to see. :whistling

Yes. I got a little further and Luigi was back. He wasn't on a rock, but was being terrorized by a shyguy. I found the secret room below, too. Now, as for a REAL plugin issue, if only I had a cross between Jabo's plugin and Rice's so I didn't have to keep going back and forth... Jabo's has intense flicker that Rice's doesn't, but Rice's has extreme slowdown issues at some points, like on top of SS Summit, in the sewer, and in the forest.

Edit: Nevermind. Another post without thinking it through. Seems that it is the framebuffer that slows it down. Changing the setting works, so I don't have to switch to Jabo's. So far.

Edit 2: Well, now my settings are destroyed and I get black screens when going to a new area- definitely not good. I think I will go back to switching between the two plugins. That is, if I can figure out how to fix it. I just replaced the ROM_Properties.ini with the original. Now I'm searching the registry.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
There are uninstall files located with pj, but I'm not quite sure if they can remove rice's settings. But maybe they do (if you delete all).
But hmmmm...I know that if you don't user framebuffer at all (at least from the beginning), all framebuffer lit rooms should be lit; and not dark. Otherwise, you could simply lighten up the room, enable framebuffer and disable it again.

Glide64 also works very good for this game. And for the next version's frambuffer...oh, if you only had a voodoo! Since unfortunaly eVoodoo won't support this...

OP
Qun Mang

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Doomulation said:
Glide64 also works very good for this game. And for the next version's frambuffer...oh, if you only had a voodoo! Since unfortunaly eVoodoo won't support this...

Actually, I replaced my Voodoo3 with this card, so it is sitting off to the side somewhere. However, the new framebuffer emulation won't work with it anyway, from what I understand. Just VSA-100 Voodoos (4/5).

Anyway, I deleted all the Rice entries in the registry and replaced the ini files with their originals. Then I still had problems and changed to a different Rice plugin (many to choose from...). When some problems started again, I realized that my card was probably overheating since I had been playing PM for the last several hours. Guess the Card Cooler I bought for my Voodoo3 (then was too chicken to overclock it...) doesn't work for the Radeon, at least allowing its use for more than a few hours. I have given it a rest, so all should be well today.

jessman1988

Banned
Qun Mang said:
Actually, I replaced my Voodoo3 with this card, so it is sitting off to the side somewhere. However, the new framebuffer emulation won't work with it anyway, from what I understand. Just VSA-100 Voodoos (4/5).

Anyway, I deleted all the Rice entries in the registry and replaced the ini files with their originals. Then I still had problems and changed to a different Rice plugin (many to choose from...). When some problems started again, I realized that my card was probably overheating since I had been playing PM for the last several hours. Guess the Card Cooler I bought for my Voodoo3 (then was too chicken to overclock it...) doesn't work for the Radeon, at least allowing its use for more than a few hours. I have given it a rest, so all should be well today.

use Glide64 with Evoodoo 4.0.21 Alpha. It works like a charm if you set the options right. i pity you. you've never played the REAL game. the pc DOESN'T do a good job at playing this game like it really is. look for it in a pawn shop for $10-20 tops.

Doomulation

Indeed...this game doesn't make really much use of the framebuffer. You should be ok while not using it (besides, newest version isn't released yet.)

OP
Qun Mang

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Glide64 is a little slow on my machine. I gave it a try using the EVoodoo version you said, and it is quite a good compromise between Rice's and Jabo's plugins. Aside from the speed, the only other real issues were in the sewers the sprites turned into black & white rectangles and, like all other plugins, the selection screen has a checkerboard background. If I had a faster machine I would definitely make use of this plugin. It's funny- I have frameskip turned on and Mario just kind of slid across the screen most of the time with this plugin. Too bad my Voodoo3 is an AGP card. I would be tempted to put it in my computer alongside the Radeon if it was PCI. I'm sure Glide64 would be faster without EVoodoo. In fact, I know it is because I used it with my V3 before I relaced it so I could play newer games.

It really would be interesting to play this game on a real N64. All I need is the cart and to borrow my nephew's N64 which is gathering dust (having been replaced by XBox and PS2). I am getting used to the save states though...

Edit: A couple more Glide64 issues: the star on the dialogs (telling you there is more text) has a rectangle around it and some of the textures on the island are just plain wrong. Dunno if this next one is related or just coincidence, but three times I have gotten corrupt save state files and all times were when I was using Glide64+EVoodoo. There are improvements over Rice's, too, just so you see that I'm not complaining,

Last edited:

Doomulation

1) Most likely eVoodoo issues.
2) Use natives saves (save the normal way in the game). It's much more secure than save states.

jessman1988

Banned
Doomulation said:
1) Most likely eVoodoo issues.
2) Use natives saves (save the normal way in the game). It's much more secure than save states.

Yeah. I never use saves states because I don't trust 'em, and if I got in the habit again, I'd keep loading a state each time I get hit, lmao. It's happened with NES,SNES, and GENESIS emulation. Trust me, it's a BAD habit to form.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Qun Mang said:
Too bad my Voodoo3 is an AGP card. I would be tempted to put it in my computer alongside the Radeon if it was PCI.

Sorry, even if the Voodoo 3 video card is PCI based, it won't work with another video card installed at the same time, because Voodoo Banshees and newer Voodoo video cards aren't secondary video cards, thus cannot support the functionalbility of being beside another video card installed.

To have a Voodoo video card working with another video card installed at the same time, you're required to get a Voodoo 2 video card or older.

OP
Qun Mang

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
jessman1988 said:
Yeah. I never use saves states because I don't trust 'em, and if I got in the habit again, I'd keep loading a state each time I get hit, lmao. It's happened with NES,SNES, and GENESIS emulation. Trust me, it's a BAD habit to form.

Definitely true. I probably should get out of the habit. With PM, though, the native saves are unreliable too. That is, trying to use them often crashes 1964. I read about a workaround involving deleting the save file (fla) while the emulator is running, but that file gets locked (in use). I did find that I can do a save state, close the ROM, delete the .fla save, run it again and load the state, and then native saves will work again- for a while, anyway.

RJARRRPCGP said:
To have a Voodoo video card working with another video card installed at the same time, you're required to get a Voodoo 2 video card or older.

Well, to use it as a pass-through card you're right. I was thinking more of the Windows XP definition of a secondary card, though. It would ordinarily require a second monitor if I intended to use both at the same time. I was thinking more of sharing the monitor, but switching the primary display to the Voodoo card when using 1964. Dunno if it can be done in the software, but I'm guessing it could. All I would have to do is change my Radeon display to my TV then plug the monitor into the Voodoo card and tell XP to use the Voodoo as the primary display. Anyway, the whole point is moot since my V3 is AGP. I would have to get another Voodoo card.

Last edited: