What's new

P2P Legal Defense Fund

Gorxon

Administrator
Some of you might have heard of it long ago, but I thought I would post so those of you who hasn't and has a lot of money to give away would get to know it. Basically it's a fund where those who have been sued by RIAA can get donations, and you donate directly to a family. Some of you might even have been sued by RIAA already, so check it out:

http://www.downhillbattle.org/defense/index.shtml

No, I haven't donated myself...hipocrasy?
Well, I am not touching paypal with a 10 feet pole...but many of you have PP accounts already.

Geoz

De Master
RIAA are going the wrong way about trying to curve the MP3 download 'problem'

Suing people is not going to help anything. It will just drive people to do it more. People will develop tools so IPs can’t be traced or scrambled. And it will go underground. Which will make it even more difficult for RIAA to trace. What they should be doing is pressuring the P2P companies to patrol the servers and remove MP3s

Suing is wrong. The whole culture behind it I don’t agree with. I feel sorry for the families of the people who have been branded criminals because personally I don’t believe that it true.

Personally i use the iTunes scheme. Not that suing me detered me or anything, just that i wasn't too fond of kazaa & iMesh. Just too much spyware and viruses.

I would donate myself but i dont use PP.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Yeah well in my opinion, if you were dumb enough to use Kazaa, even though it was a known fact that it's full of spyware and other crap, you deserve to be sued. It's shit, and there are far better alternatives out there.
Better yet, why should I donate my hard earned money to some noob pirate?

Geoz

De Master
2fast4u said:
as much as the actions of the riaa are wrong imo, i have no interest in helping these folks.

Both as bad as each other. Damn. Thats Cynical. :naughty:

i suppose id donate like 3 euros just cos i felt sorry for them. But then again. Thats like 3 Us less fuel... Hmm choices eh?

Hell i supose if you are going to pirate then do it properly but i dont think people should complain when they get caught. I mean they could have used iTunes. No-one forced them to use P2P apart from there own greed. But i still dont agree that being sued is the way to go around about it.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Geoz said:
Suing is wrong. The whole culture behind it I don’t agree with. I feel sorry for the families of the people who have been branded criminals because personally I don’t believe that it true.

So if somebody burglarized you, you wouldn't sue them?

/me pulls out his "Mission Impossible breaking and entering playset."

Last edited:

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
I think that they should burn in righteous law-fueled flames.

I buy EVERY one of my albums legitimately and utterly DESPISE any form of music copying and burning to CDs. It's completely shit, and is no way to enjoy music, nor build a music collection.

Downloading legally is fine of course, but just not my personal preferance.

In any case, even if these characters were downloading you'd expect maybe, say, downloading a single, liking it and BUYING the album, but ohhhh no, from the sounds of things they've been downloading fucking hundreds.

Well fuck them.

Geoz

De Master
AlphaWolf said:
So if somebody burglarized you, you wouldn't sue them?

I sleep with my door unlocked. And leave it unlocked all day. Where i live its very rare that people get burgled. But yeah i see what you mean... Downloading MP3s is a crime is you dont own them. But no i wouldnt sue them, i just leave law enforcement to take them down, thats good enough for me. Because too be honest if Suing people is frowned upon from where i come from. And anyway the person obviously cant be that well off to justify suing if he has too stoop to stealing from other people in the first place.

http://www.emutalk.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=14994&stc=1

rcgamer

the old guy
hmmmm actually communism in its pure state would be great. as for this legal defense fund, I say you did the crime now do the uuuuhhhh paying.

Geoz

De Master
rcgamer said:
hmmmm actually communism in its pure state would be great.

Yes, in theory Communism works. But that’s just a theory. All previous attempts at complete communism have failed. We can never have pure communism because your minds are just not capable of being pure. It will always screw up somewhere, we are just too easy to corrupt. :getlost:

And anyway I defiantly would rather have Democracy than anything else. It has to be the greatest French invention ever. (Apart from the Citroen Saxo)

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
I don't own that many albums, about 20, however I do rip friends CD's to MP3.

I can see that this is wrong but hey, im a student. :beer:

revl8er

That Damn Good
There really isn't any way that the RIAA can stop people from downloading anything. As long as the internet exists then there will alway be downloading so they should just give up.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Geoz said:
And anyway I defiantly would rather have Democracy than anything else. It has to be the greatest French invention ever. (Apart from the Citroen Saxo)

French invention? Actually democracy is old, ancient greece old (modern day "France" was actually named "Gaul" at the time.) The US altered democracy a bit (mainly put a bigger emphasis on individual liberties) and France (then eventually the rest of Europe) actually adopted our version of democracy. :p

Last edited:
MP3's have revolutionised my listening habbits in the last 4 years, and caused me to buy far more albums than I ever would have. Most importantly though, its caused me to see the bands live which is what rewards them greatest financially

2fast4u

i suppose id donate like 3 euros just cos i felt sorry for them.

i cant even say i was sorry for them. people who download music excessively on an illegal basis just ask for it. let them pay up.

personally i hardly listened to any music up until 3 years ago, as today im addicted to it, which is also a cause of mp3. i buy all my albums and go see the bands live, thats something i never imagined i would do.

Geoz

De Master
Well the French got rid of their Kings and Queens first didn’t they?
Yeah the USA copied the idea and put more emphasis on individuals but it was a French idea in the begining. Power to the people.
The French made the step; at least that’s what I have been taught.

As long as MP3s exist and are as small, easy and quick to download it is going to be an uphill struggle stopping them. That’s a fact. So the RIAA are going to have to start putting better protection on discs or something.

2fast4u

dont take alpha too seriously in terms of history, thats what i do. he just wants to provoke ;)

So the RIAA are going to have to start putting better protection on discs or something.

they got owned by the shift-key! :blink:

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
lol. I know it's off-topic, but I couldn't help but notice how alpha was instructing an Athenian on the orgins of democracy.

Anyway, my take on this is simple: People who steal should not be supported in their actions.

Geoz

De Master
How much did these people getting sued download?

I asked around and from what I heard they download Gigabytes of the stuff.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Geoz said:
Well the French got rid of their Kings and Queens first didn’t they?
Yeah the USA copied the idea and put more emphasis on individuals but it was a French idea in the begining. Power to the people.
The French made the step; at least that’s what I have been taught.

Nope, the French revolution of 1789 was actually inspired by our own, where we abolished the power of the british monarchy. Our constitution was even ratified (e.g. our government became official) just before the French revolution began. But, even though they did abolish the monarchy and execute the king and queen (and lynch anybody who even looked rich) during the revolution, they were considered to be an empire, the next best thing to a monarchy, until the third republic (IIRC? either that or it was after WWII).

Last edited: