What's new

overheat

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
i need a little help here. u see, i hav a 1.2Ghz Socket A Athlon. i know its old now but its been reliable. anyway, my problem is that it often reaches 70 degrees Celcius (my ASUS proggie tells me this). And all im doing is a little pj64ing (;)). also, its already got a heatsink, with a fan, and i hav 4 fans on my case.

oh, and its not overclocked.

thx
:pj64: er

OP
pj64er

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
thx quip, ive already got a bigger fan than what it came with.

slougi, is water-cooling much better(colder)? and suggestions for water-cooling?

linker

Emutalk Member
Slougi said:
Yes water cools way better than any hsf and is almost noiseless. check out www.overclockers.com for very good articles, they have an excellent forum as well :)

Watercooling is a great way of cooling your processor, but it is not very cheap. You can buy sylver heatsink. It is good, but I don't think it will take down the temp. a lot (5-10C).

OP
pj64er

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
ok, i just played civilization 2 again (memories...), and it still overheats from that! do you think i might be doing something wrong? I may not have heavy-duty cooling (yet), but my current solution is not that bad. i dont think water-cooling is needed to play civilization 2...do i?

Slougi

No you don't need watercooling usually. Do you have some thermal paste between your cpu and hsf? Do you have some case fans? Please post your setup in more detail.

OP
pj64er

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
im pretty sure i got thermal paste between my heat sink fan and cpu. i got 4 fans on my case, 2 in the back and 2 in the front. one in the front is sucking in air (with a filter on it to prevent dust) to allow better circulation. and one of the ones on the back is on the transformer, that might not count.

Slougi

Hmm what kinda heatsink do u have? And what kinda fan on it? essentially u have 2 case fans and one psu (power supply) fan, correct?

Epic64

Well what can I say?
This may sound silly but what type of psu has you case got? If it's less than 300W it can cause overheating with an Athlon!

Slougi

Erm no. It can cause instabilty due to it not delivering a sufficient flow of electricity, but it should not cause overheating afaik.

Epic64

Well what can I say?
Au contraire my little beer friend!

Ask any experienced hardware techy and they'll confirm it. ;)

OP
pj64er

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Slougi said:
Hmm what kinda heatsink do u have? And what kinda fan on it? essentially u have 2 case fans and one psu (power supply) fan, correct?

1 cpu fan (i think vantech hsf)
3 case fans
1 psu fan

and ya my psu is 300W, but from time to tilme, my ASUS program detects a sudden drop in voltage.

Last edited:

flow``

flow``
you must have some tiny fans or something.. do what i just did last night

my athlon 1.05 was ~60C/120F

so..

i opened my case, put this 16 inch fan beside my case, and voila! now it about 100F

if nothing else works for you [or your broke like i am], its a good alternative

OP
pj64er

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
flow`` said:
you must have some tiny fans or something.. do what i just did last night

my athlon 1.05 was ~60C/120F

so..

i opened my case, put this 16 inch fan beside my case, and voila! now it about 100F

if nothing else works for you [or your broke like i am], its a good alternative

lol :D

but flow, i need a long term solution, doing that will get dust all over my comp.

Slougi

Hmm. You might want to check for that thermal paste again, there is supposed to be an extremely thin layer of it on the cpu.some hsf's have a crap kind of thermal stuff on the bottom, it really oesn't conduct heat well. If you have one of those, i would say u need to get some arctic silver (very good thermal paste) and put that there instead. Be careful when removing the hsf, amd cpu's are very fragile!!!