What's new

Overclocking my CPU.

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
Okay, now, i know this may sound like a totally n00bish question to alot of you, but I wanted to know this. Is it possible to oc my AMD Athlon XP 1800+, and how would i do that. Also, are there any precautions i need to take? Or anything i need to buy in order to make the oc work correctly? Also, if it goes wrong, is there a way to underclock it?

I'd appreciate if someone could help me with this :D (1.54ghz doesnt cut it anymore :p)

Clements

The simplist way is to use an o/cing program, mine came with my motherboard. Another way is to modify the FSB speed in the BIOS. If you increase it by a certain amount, it'll register as a 1900+, 2000+ and so on. I managed to overclock my 1800+ to 2000+ with a stock heatsink and was happy not to go any further (my RAM wasn't very good either). I wouldn't o/c my 3200+ since the temperature is too high and it'd fry.

Make sure your heatsink is good, and check the temperatures. Use a stress test such as Prime95 to make sure your PC is not unstable. If you are a novice, don't push it too far, you'll need to increase the voltages and it gets more dangerous as the speed increases...

OP
P

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
Clements said:
The simplist way is to use an o/cing program, mine came with my motherboard. Another way is to modify the FSB speed in the BIOS. If you increase it by a certain amount, it'll register as a 1900+, 2000+ and so on. I managed to overclock my 1800+ to 2000+ with a stock heatsink and was happy not to go any further (my RAM wasn't very good either). I wouldn't o/c my 3200+ since the temperature is too high and it'd fry.

Make sure your heatsink is good, and check the temperatures. Use a stress test such as Prime95 to make sure your PC is not unstable. If you are a novice, don't push it too far, you'll need to increase the voltages and it gets more dangerous as the speed increases...

Heh, novice? I wish, more like total n00b. First off, I don't know how to use my bios except to change boot devices. Second off, what the hell is a heatsink. You said use a stress test such as Prime95? Sounds like gibberish to me :p

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
If your that much of a noob to Computers and Overclocking, I'd say, don't even try. You'll more than likely fry your computer or yourself. And also, if your CPU is a Palomino core, your pretty much out of luck in overclocking anyways.

Another option would be to look for someone in your area that does know what they are doing and let them do it for you.

smcd

Overclocking generally tends to add extra stress to the >whatever is overclocked< piece of hardware. It isn't recommended.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
There are some great tools around, where you can change you FSB in a friendly windows window, my tip is CPUCool, but if you don't know anything about overclocking your pc you shouldn't do it.

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
MasterPhW_DX said:
There are some great tools around, where you can change you FSB in a friendly windows window, my tip is CPUCool, but if you don't know anything about overclocking your pc you shouldn't do it.

Agreed.

And the best way to OC is definately in the bios unless you have like a dell... in which you can't do that I believe.

If you actually wanna OC you have to make sure you have the proper cooling for it. Once you get that... just about anything is possible.

And i'm not a noob just so ya know. 2500+ @ 2.625ghz on air.

-Shadow-

Banned
2.500+ @ 2,4 Ghz ? Thats good ! I could get my 2.600+ only to 2.22 Ghz... ( Max Vcore : 1,8 V , suxx :p )

Anyways , you will need a nice Mainboard with good and stable power supplyment for the CPU ( epox are the best , about 2,3 V max possible Vcore ! ) . And it should unlock the Clock Multiplicator CPU automatically (2.500+ have a new lock , use 2600+ :p ) ASUS + Epox nforce-2 boards do the job . There are also Athlon 64 boards that unlock the CPU , i couldn't remember which ones...

You also need a good stepping , there are stepping lists with the average potentials of the CPU's , i can't remember them...

I'll get a watercooling system + a nice board soon and pump my CPU up , a cut lifespan ( from ~15 to 7 years )has no meaning for me , i'll probably get a new one in the meantime...

Now , i think i've let the genius hang out :p

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Athlon 64s are all locked, Athlon FX'es are not. i believe they are hard locking the multipliers on all bartons, not just 2500+

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
if you do decide to overclock your pc, if it refuses to boot at all, turn your pc off then back on and remember "Insert" is your best friend

sheik124

Emutalk Member
i don't know how many times insert has saved me, this beotch Athlon XP 2500+ i got dealt really sucks. it freakin runs at 47C when its idle, using this mammoth Zalman cooler. heck, i built PCs for the private school i go to, and the 2500+s i put in there run at 39C idle, with STOCK AMD COOLING, so next year, me sneak in, take better chippy, and give crappy chippy, no one over there will notice, muahahaha

-Shadow-

Banned
if you do decide to overclock your pc, if it refuses to boot at all, turn your pc off then back on and remember "Insert" is your best friend

Yeah , and if it crashes in the BIOS screen , make a CMOS reset !

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
sheik124 said:
i don't know how many times insert has saved me, this beotch Athlon XP 2500+ i got dealt really sucks. it freakin runs at 47C when its idle, using this mammoth Zalman cooler. heck, i built PCs for the private school i go to, and the 2500+s i put in there run at 39C idle, with STOCK AMD COOLING, so next year, me sneak in, take better chippy, and give crappy chippy, no one over there will notice, muahahaha

Zalman, hmm they arent the best of coolers, the best choice for the 2500+ chips seems to be the Coolermaster Aero 7, lot of people have good results on that combo.

-Shadow-

Banned
An "Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2" is also a very good choice . Ok , you can only OC until ~3400+ , but its very silent for its performance ;)

sheik124

Emutalk Member
but this CNPS-7000A-AlCu got such good reviews, oh well, i am pretty sure its the chip, but on my A64 rig i am going for the Thermalright SP-9x that is for Socket 754/939/940 and sticking a nice 92mm fan on it

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
H3ad5h0tter said:
An "Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2" is also a very good choice . Ok , you can only OC until ~3400+ , but its very silent for its performance ;)
A friend of mine has the same and have to admit, that it is a great one.

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
foogy said:
ive gots an athon xp 2400, but its bought from compaq....so theres no way i can oc it?

That depends. Did you buy it from compaq or is it in a compaq computer? Dells, HP's, Compaq' and etc. can not be overclocked in bios. It can be done in windows, but you can't add volts and you must overclock every time you restart so that it'll stay overclocked. If its a 2400+ in a different motherboard then one that came with the compaq then I say yes.