What's new

Opera compatibility with Google Labs

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
I'm having some compatibility issues with my Opera web browser. Its mostly Google products that give me a hard time. I can't use Page Creator, Spreadsheet, and some of the Gmail functionallities.

I dont understand how this fairly popular browser isn't supported... what could be the problem? What does Opera do that makes it incompatible?

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Opera's support for Javascript is still unreliable, especially when JS is used to dynamically modify the page structure. Google applications use a lot of those techniques (called AJAX - asynchronous Javascript and XML).

You will likely encounter similar problems with sites that use heavy AJAX. I found these problems a couple years ago, when I was coding a multiplayer tabletop game in JS/PHP.

OP
tye stik

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Well. Thats really lame.

As a browser Opera is awesome. I love the 'mouse gesture' feature. Its really a shame that I have to switch my browser everytime I wanna use a Javascript application.

Do you think theyre working on it? Or should I rollover for Mozilla?

Edit: Sweet, I found the fix for it. It seems google is a masterminding hooker attempting to thwart secure browsers... I selected the "Mask as Internet Explorer" option (cause Opera is cool like that) and, buhbam. It works.

So its not the browser thats at fault, its Google. I wonder why they would do something like that.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Opera is probably unsupported at the moment. Can't say if they're working on it, though. They don't thwart secure browsers because Firefox works just fine.

OP
tye stik

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Doomulation said:
Opera is probably unsupported at the moment. Can't say if they're working on it, though. They don't thwart secure browsers because Firefox works just fine.

Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7+ Download Firefox
Mozilla 1.7.12+
Netscape 7.2, 8.0
Camino 1.0+

These are the browsers recommended to me when I had tried to use Opera without masking. All of these run on the Gecko layout engine. Perhaps they are pushing for a standard in open source layout engines. Opera uses the Presto layout engine... which seems to work fine when it presents itself as if it is the Trident (Internet Gaysplorer) layout engine.

Perhaps Mozilla isn't as safe as we've all been led to believe... who knows what lurks in the bowels of its code... oh yeah, its open source. Nevermind.

OP
tye stik

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Yeah, I've tried most versions of Opera... I'm still debating as to wether or not I should stick with it. It seems to have the least amount of exploits available against it.