What's new

Openoffice.org

Macca

OpenOffice.org

Just wondering if anyone uses it? im thinking about changing to it and just want to check if any has had any experiences good or bad.

Post away,
Thanks

Remote

Never tried it but I've heard that it rivals MS Office, wheater that is Ms Office 95, 98, 2000 or XP I can't tell but it's supposed to be good and free...

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Macca said:
OpenOffice.org

Just wondering if anyone uses it? im thinking about changing to it and just want to check if any has had any experiences good or bad.

Post away,
Thanks

Since I don't pay for this kind of software, I am mostly interested in which one takes the least hard disk space, and runs the fastest. OOo does the best in both categories, plus it does everything I need for school.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Open Office os a good little piece of software. It can open most MS formats. I still prefeer AbiWord for writing documents though...

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
OpenOffice.org 1.1 (well, the RCs, anyway) is pretty sweet. Opens just about any document format, is free, is smaller than MS Office, and can export to PDF and SWF.

jollyrancher

Bad idea... many companies want people who are proficient in MS Office, especially Excel. Why not use it??? It's easy enough to use and doesn't freeze. Didn't the computer come with it?

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
jollyrancher said:
Bad idea... many companies want people who are proficient in MS Office, especially Excel. Why not use it??? It's easy enough to use and doesn't freeze. Didn't the computer come with it?

OpenOffice.org is free. Not just in price, either. It is free in the sense of free speech; you can download the source code, modify it, and redistribute it as your own application, within a few limits. You can't do that with MS Office. Also, MS Office is, of course, made by Microsoft. I use as few Microsoft products as I can.

OpenOffice.org provides almost as much functionality as MS Office XP Standard. While the loading process is slower than Office, the application itself is as fast as, or faster than Office. OpenOffice.org is also easy enough to use. If your computer didn't come with Office, then you won't be out the $200+ Office costs. OpenOffice.org is at least as stable as MS Office. OpenOffice.org runs on Windows, OS X, and most Unixes, including Linux, BSD, and Solaris.

Umm... anything I missed?

Last edited:

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Oh, yeah. I did forget one thing. A very important one, too. :p

Unlike MS Office, the OpenOffice.org file formats are fully and openly documented, and freely available for anyone to implement in the their programs.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
StarOffice == OpenOffice + a few extra components (such as the DB) licensed from other companies. Both are built from the same root codebase.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Tagrineth said:
Um... no.

StarOffice = SUN Microsystems's office app coded in Java.

No....Star Office is to Open Office as Netscape Navigator is to Mozilla. Star office includes a bunch of graphics libs for projects, tech support, etc...