What's new

Online Gaming Question

Alchemist

My friend and I are at each other's throats about the pronounciation of a word that origonated on online gaming.

Is the word "PWN" pronounced OWN or POWN?

I maintain that it's pronounced OWN, but he thinks it's not "grammatically correct".

Last edited:

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
You know, that's a damn good question. I've always looked at it as "pown", but definitely not because of grammatical correction, but rather because it sounds somewhat more powerful then just "own".

OP
Alchemist

Alchemist

I heard it originated when someone wrote "I PWNED YOU!!" in an online game, but typed P instead of O. So I think that technically it should be pronounced as the word he was trying to type.

Last edited:

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Alchemist said:
I heard it originated when someone wrote "I PWNED YOU!!" in an online game, but typed P instead of O. So I think that technically it should be pronounced as the word he was trying to type.
In fact, it originated as a typo in the first Warcraft game - apparently a certain programmer wrote "pwn" instead of "own" in some menu.
Anyway, as far as pronunication goes, here's what Wikipedia has to say about it :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Dude's post is pretty much irrefutable, though, don't y'think?

Anyway, owning is for suckers... these days it's all about schooling people/taking them to school/higher education and so on.

ie. gaining a harvard doctorate in defeat or something

*cough*

I dunno it sounds funny in the right context...

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
The way its spelt, its unpronouncable, theres no vowel.

I go for pown. I know its supposed to be own, but you cant tell the difference otherwise.

Theres a wikipedia entry for it?! Damn, before you know it, words like pwn, goatse, and lol would be in Webster :/

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
Why in the world would you say it?

If someone said they were going to "pwn" me, I'd laugh in their face and call them a nerd!