What's new

Ok, so why do Emus suck on my PC? plzhelp.

Im Bored

lol@censors
Sorry if the title offends anyone; for the record, i know the n64 emulators that I have tried are amazing. Its just this PC seems to have a vendetta against them. First, specs:

1GB RAM
3 GHZ
Pentium 4 processor (if that matters?)
WinXP SP2
nVidia GeForce 6800
Direct X 9.0 ('or better'?)

I think thats all that needs to be known? Now, I know its not the best or what have you, but at the same time, I know its enough.

My problem? Emulation. It sucks on here. How? Ok, screens.
First, is a launch of Project 64 1.5 (I have tried project 64 1.6, and 1964 along with nemu and all emulators have done this, however, albeit PJ64 the most, and 1964.)

This is the first sign somethings wrong, though it may not seem like it. No matter where I leave the window having run it and quit, it will appear with up to half of it, out of screen, under the taskbar. Locking, or unlocking, the taskbar pushes it down, but still..why? And yes, all those games I have tried, and while they look perfect while they are running, they dont last very long.

So number 2. I start a game. The window gets pushed under the taskbar, inevitably. Again, same fix is sufficient, but still. You can sort of see by the frame counter that its running fine, and if anyone wants I can screen something like majoras mask running fine.
Now you probably dont think I have many problems right now, and im being picky. true, but lets move on.

Resetting/Save states. Oh these are hell. I have only managed to get save states loading in PJ64, btw, 1964 just wont load its own save states at all. Ok, so if I reset, even once, gameplay is terrible. In the case of most games, random clipping occurs, background info is lost, blacked out screens with music playing...everything you expect from a frozen game, except its not frozen...in some of these cases I can still play, where I can see the handful of items still visible.

Another problem is, for example, majoras mask. The game will be running fine, without any resets etc, and then when I warp to snowhead, nothing shows, and then up to a minute later the emulator will just quit. No warning, just quit. I cant get any good screen shots of this because the whole thing is so damned erratic.

Another example is wwf no mercy. Game runs fine, until you get in a match. everythings perfect, but the frame rate is too damned high, for one (no really, but i shudnt complain) BUT if i choose rematch, or quit match...same effects as a save state. the game will then play up. I shouldnt expect this, given that its an ingame feature?

I have just touched on the problems I face. In short, emulation is erratic at best, with glitching, and most often, random quitting of emulators with any game. Its annoying as the PC shows the games perfectly, while it does. And the problem only heightens with save states and resetting. I will try to obtain more screenshots over time, but as I say...its erratic, and the only ones I could show you at the moment are black screens or purple screens etc, which may just look like errors on my behalf.

A final note is, these games all run fine on a much weaker machine...2GHZ, 256MB RAM, and a crappy gfx card that has something like 32mb total memory...yet it still is more stable? what the hell? And I come from a large NM community, where we get all manner of people with problems, but I must say ive NEVER seen this before. Suggestions?

euphoria

Emutalk Member
One thing that comes to mind about random crashes is that maybe you have bad memory? Or there's something incompatible with your drivers (gfx, sound, etc.) try updating them to latest. Other than that i don't know.

minkster

Right click the taskbar, then click properties and uncheck Keep taskbar on top of other windows. That should get rid of your problem for good :)

Johann

Chankast rocks ^^
It just happens with n64 emus? What about the rest of games (Quake, Half-Life, etc) and applications? Do they work as they should?

OP
Im Bored

Im Bored

lol@censors
Welllll, Im not one for PC games so I cant say if any of them work or not. But programs, work fine. Photoshop and a load of others. No problems on anything outside of N64 Emulators (never tried any other emus tho to be fair, not on this PC.)

minkster, the taskbar settings thing has settled at least the taskbar issue, I THINK, but when I reset or reload a save state, the window gets bumped up about a physical centimetre on screen. Still. And it obv. hasnt sorted out the other problems.

Euphoria, thanks for the suggestion. I may update the drivers, but as its not my PC, im reluctant to do anything like that. Its my fathers, mainly, and it works fine for absolutely everything else, and everything that he uses it for, so I dont think itd be fair of me to do that?

As I say i do have a PC thatll run the games fine, and Im about to upgrade the graphics card in that so its not an issue, but Im just confused as to why a supposedly better machine repeatedly gives me poorer performance. Weird.

minkster

Well, I realized that updating my graphics drivers gave me a performance boost of being able to play games from 800X600 fullscreen to 1024X768 without a slowdown. Before I updated there was no way in hell they would even run fullspeed at that resolution.
Also make sure you have no spy/adware or viruses on your computer.