What's new

*Official* GoldenEye (longstanding) Graphical Issues

GE Master

Okay, the official bit is just for fun but really this is a serious post. It's not like I love GoldenEye or anything...

The best plug-in that I've used for GoldenEye is Jabo's. The posted screenshots seem to be problematic in all plugins from what I've seen. Please remember that I'm more gamer than emu expert so I'm just grateful for whatever has been done to this point. If I'm wrong about what I've posted please correct me. This post is really for anyone who might be working on a new plugin or who might attempt at correcting these graphical issues. Believe me when I say there are a lot of "players" who would bow down to anyone who can get GoldenEye corrected. Again, I don't even know if that's possible so please don't jump down my throat. I'm just trying to have a concise post about GoldenEye graphics.

Just believe me when I say emulation right now has gotten to the point where we are likely going to use the PC instead of the console. The gameshark codes that are currently being created mean all the work put into these plugins and emus will see even more use by the "players" like me. So, a big thanks.

KEY:

1- Temple wall textures as seen in all video plugins.
2- Surface single player level with strange perimiter textures
3- Strange floor glitch that occurs in most multiplayer levels at different time and areas.
4/6- Cradle in multiplayer (cheat) is the only level that flickers even when enabling "force depth compare". The two screens here show the two alternating flicker.
5- Temple upper room when viewing to the far end flickers and shows strange darkened sections. Glitch clears up as you near the far wall.
7- Screenshot from the actual n64 console and show how walls should appear.
8/9/10- Various screenshots from the actual n64 console showing how suface level perimeter should appear. Rows of trees.
11- My photo, just for fun. Yes, trash me and I'll come looking for you...

Knuckles

most of them are already know issues. (walls in temple and trees in surface)

some other, I dunno

revl8er

That Damn Good
What type of graphics card do you have? Like Knuckles said, most of them are known issues. Just wait and it should get fixed.

OP
GE Master

GE Master

Well I've used both my GF4 MX 460 and currently Radeon 9500 Pro. Same deal on both. I just wanted to post screenshots of the actual console graphics just in case authors needed the reference.

OP
GE Master

GE Master

Well I'm happy to say that Rice's latest plugin corrects the surface trees and temple!! Also it vastly improves the character select screen. I will post some updated screens. I'm a Radeon 9500pro user so perhaps only the higher end cards will work, but I'm uncertain of that.

scotty

The Great One
All of these problems also occur for me as well. The sound isnt perfectly like the actual game either.

I have come to the conclusion that it is the matter of who actually dumped the ROM into its .v64 file had troubles doing it perfectly because N64 dumping is more complicated than any other console due to the 3D graphics cards that were out at the time they were dumped. I admit I like the free ROM, I am just surprised that someone didnt dump a better version of this game in particular. I have been criticized many times that I blame the people that dump the games themselves as opposed to the authors of the plugins/emulator.

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
scotty said:
All of these problems also occur for me as well. The sound isnt perfectly like the actual game either.

I have come to the conclusion that it is the matter of who actually dumped the ROM into its .v64 file had troubles doing it perfectly because N64 dumping is more complicated than any other console due to the 3D graphics cards that were out at the time they were dumped. I admit I like the free ROM, I am just surprised that someone didnt dump a better version of this game in particular. I have been criticized many times that I blame the people that dump the games themselves as opposed to the authors of the plugins/emulator.

Use GoodN64 to verify that the rom is a good dump [!]

From what I remember most of the Goldeneye dumps you find will be overdumps [o3] (not sure why this is), you can then clean the rom up yourself using a hex editor.

Although this won’t make a difference to how the rom plays, it simply removes excess data.

scotty

The Great One
I was referring to the goodversion, however I should re-check this version; it might be a hidden overdump(or a bad dump)

scotty

The Great One
Niggy G said:
Use GoodN64 to verify that the rom is a good dump [!]

From what I remember most of the Goldeneye dumps you find will be overdumps [o3] (not sure why this is), you can then clean the rom up yourself using a hex editor.

Although this won’t make a difference to how the rom plays, it simply removes excess data.

It appears I owe you an apology. my Good N64 may have said (U!), however I checked the ROM properties. It appears the coding shows a different code than that of the U! version. Therefore internally it says its U!, but it isnt, so I have to patch it I guess, and pray it works right

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
scotty said:
It appears I owe you an apology. my Good N64 may have said (U!), however I checked the ROM properties. It appears the coding shows a different code than that of the U! version. Therefore internally it says its U!, but it isnt, so I have to patch it I guess, and pray it works right

How very strange...

Im having some issues with goodN64 atm. For some reason it ignores several roms that it had previously renamed with a [!].

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Niggy G said:
How very strange...

Im having some issues with goodN64 atm. For some reason it ignores several roms that it had previously renamed with a [!].

Bad. The symptom you're getting, GoodN64 ignoring the Nintendo 64 ROMs means the Nintendo 64 ROMs got corrupted, probably because of HDD data corruption. I had the exact same problem, the GoodN64 ignoring Nintendo 64 ROM problem and it was caused by HDD data corruption (file system corruption) because of an IDE driver problem with the Asus A7N266-VM/AA motherboard I was using.

Quvack

scotty said:

Ummmm the system supporting 3d gfx and all that doesnt make it harder to dump the roms at all, n64 is simple to dump if you have the right tools/software. I've dumped my copy of Goldeneye and it comes out exactly the same as other versions out there, its not the rom causing troubles, its just Goldeneye is a hard game to emulate 'bug-free'

scotty

The Great One
If anyone does dump a few games like Goldeneye that are "Bug-Free" let me know if it actually better than the actual U! version, that way I can actually play Goldeneye properly. It appears my IPS patch doesnt work properly for the (o1) version I have that doesnt appear to show up on GoodN64. I had to figure out it was the o1 version my checking out the microcode properties.

Clements

Having a rom better than a verified good dump is impossible since it is identical to the original rom down to the last byte.

These issues are all graphics plugin issues. Overdumps can be fixed with a hex editor. Goldeneye 007 should be 12MB if I remember right. (Not at home so can't check my dump). It has to be shown to be an overdump though with GoodN64 to be fixed with a hex editor. Overdumps are not as bad as other bad dumps, since N64 emulators tend to ignore the garbage data at the end pretty well.

The overdump IPS's don't work.

scotty

The Great One
Clements said:
The overdump IPS's don't work.

That would explain why I couldnt fix my ROM, as it is the o1.

I got a good version that is 12Mb as well as the o1 version, yet they both have the same problems. Id ask someone to give me the good version, but as we all know ROM requests arent allowed (so I am NOT asking for it), and I sure as heck dont want to be kicked in the nuts by Trotterwatch,lol.

Last edited:

scotty

The Great One
gandalf said:
My Goldene Eye it´s 16 Mb
Overdump?
Yes. the actual file is supposed to be 12Mb. Your file is not a problem, assuming that everything is properly working. If the game is playable, then dont worry. I just like to point out that you might have to live with the fact that you have your file the way it is.

I personally dont like my file due to the imperfections in the sound and graphics, but thats probably why I dont play Goldeneye as much as I used to when I actually played it on my N64. I remember I played that game in my sleep.

OP
GE Master

GE Master

Okay, back on the topic of graphics...

Rice's latest pluging currently is the most accurate in emulating GoldenEye. At least on my Radeon 9500pro setup. Here is an update from the first post containing pics of texture errors. Rice has corrected these! Maybe a couple outstanding issues remain for GoldenEye with his plugin, but by far his is the best for GoldenEye that I've seen. This is huge.

Notice too that I've added the character select screen which I forgot to origianlly post. Still, Rice has the best results of anyone although you can see it's a bit messed up. It works fine however.

Also the texture issue with Jabo's plugin and the Silenced pp7 are corrected now. If you recall it used to have a strange multicolour texture which Rice has corrected.