What's new

NV30 or a Radeon?? :/

DanioJ

So, I dont usually post on this board but I thought I would just to possibly give vampireuk more work :p

But there is something I would like to know, I keep reading all the news about the nv30 comming out.. and its supposed to be l333t.

However peeps keep going on how the new Radeon will still be better. :plain2:

Now we wont know until its really released which is better, but im interested to know peoples thoughts.

:D

Josep

eyerun4phun
nv30 will be better than any radeon card that is currently out. IF your talking about gaming-wise, with cool little gadgets and crap(AIW radeon 9700 pro would be the best) but gaming-wise nv30 will win.

supergamer

Banned
Matrox parhelia 512 is the best card at the moment (it's almost 2x faster than a geforce4 ti 4600). An AGP 8X card with a 512 bit processor (instead of geforce4's AGP 4X and 256 bit processor)

Martin

Administrator
Well...here's my input. If you want the l33t3st card you always have to wait. By the time NV30 is out, you should in that case wait for the NV50. The same goes for all computer parts.

"Should I upgrade to Athlon XP 2200+ or wait until the Clawhammer arrives?"

So, basically, you would never upgrade. :p

To answer your question though, I'd definitely would go with the 9700Pro. :)

Josep

eyerun4phun
seriously though, you have to jump in sometime, if you want a good video-card;) or you could just sit on the side-lines and say what card you want to get, and why your not getting it because a new one is coming out... I mean no shit, with big fat video card companies like ati and nvidia NO duh theres going to be something new right after the one you get.

Gaming right now radeon 9700pro ownz, nv30 will kick the crap out of it...

the matrox parahelia is a different story, if you guys would have read your homework, you would know the parahelia isn't all that geared towards gaming, its a card for video development, 3d programs ext...

the ti series, the n25's still kick complete ass, not just saying that cause i have one, but they do, and the prices for them are dropping like mad..anyway, wrote too much;) hey, kinda like stalkid;)

ra5555

N64 Newbie
I don't get the hype, I mean the NV30 won't be avaliable untill feb march 03, and even then it won't be widely avaliable commercially till april. So even if its 40% better than the r300 as claimed by Nvidia, so what if its not gonna come to us for about 5 months and the NV30 will cost about $499!!!

By the way ATI is working on a 0.13micro and DD2 version of the R300, and soon followed by that, the R350 ---- ATI's answer to Nvidia's NV30

RIGHT now, get a GF4 Ti4600, its all you need

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
You know, I've looked at the radeon 9700's benchmarks, and it looks like a decent card, but know what? I've got 3 or 4 ati cards that have seen their better days, (even in their better days performed shitty) all of them telling me that even after 7 years, ATI's drivers will still crap out just the same. 3DFX and S3 always made decent drivers, and before 3dfx went under, ATI was always the generic brand merely because of the fact that their drivers sucked so much. My geforce 2 served me well for 2 glorious years and is ready to retire soon, and because of its meritorious service, I am still aimed at nvidia.

I gives a damn about what name the brand is, because I've owned all of them. So here is the sixty-four thousand dollar question to a current 9700 owner (and 9700 owners ONLY), are the drivers for these cards worth a shit? Because even the generations of ATI cards I've skipped (all radeons thus far) I know from developer reports sucked, (hell go look at most game tech support websites and look at the ATI compatibility issues that far outnumber the rest) but the 9700 is realy yet to be put to the test, whereas with nvidia, their UDA already says it all.

Slougi

Matrox Parhelia is in fact faster than a gf 4 ti 4600, and by a good margin. The initial drivers were slow, Matrox as always put functionality above speed, as demonstrated by this picture.

Here is a very nice review of the card, and here are some additional performance tests by the same person who wrote the review above. Please note that FAA vs. FSAA is not directly comparable.

Also look at the pics below
ut2003normal.jpg

ut2003aa.jpg

ut2003aaaf.jpg

specview2.gif

So, no the parhelia does not suck, and no, it is not slow either.
:plain2:

Sorry but sy's remark just totally pissed me off. Before dismissing a product do some research.

your pics do nothing but back up my origional point, it should be better than those shots suggest, fair do's it works better with some aa, but i mean cmon, do that many ppl buy cards for aa?

Valek

supergamer said:
Matrox parhelia 512 is the best card at the moment (it's almost 2x faster than a geforce4 ti 4600). An AGP 8X card with a 512 bit processor (instead of geforce4's AGP 4X and 256 bit processor)
wow...you are an idiot. the parhelia is better than any card to date ON PAPER, but it performs worse than a Geforce4 Ti4200. if you don't believe me, read ANY review of the card and see for yourself. I hate people who have no idea what they are talking about..

Slougi

Valek said:
wow...you are an idiot. the parhelia is better than any card to date ON PAPER, but it performs worse than a Geforce4 Ti4200. if you don't believe me, read ANY review of the card and see for yourself. I hate people who have no idea what they are talking about..
Me too, look at my post above. :plain: Parhelia is by no means 2x as fast as a ti4600, but faster overall? yes.

Sy: The idea behind parhelia is to provide the best iq at good performance. It does do that, does it not? Of course on the 3d side it is now overpowered by the r300 line of cards.

Valek

sure, it's clock speed may be higher, but it DOES NOT perform better than the ti4600. infact, it performs worse than the ti4200 in all gaming benchmarks. the only thing the Parhelia is good for is buisness applications and 2D image editing; it's horrible at gaming. and again, if you don't believe me, read any review of the card. try going to firingsquad.com and find the Parhelia review, and you will see exactly what I have said to be true.

supergamer

Banned
Ati radeon has other weaknesses as radeon, if you'll only use it for emulation, the radeon is the best. The gamecube has an ati too!

Josep

eyerun4phun
supergamer said:
Ati radeon has other weaknesses as radeon, if you'll only use it for emulation, the radeon is the best. The gamecube has an ati too!

the ati in gamecube is something entirely different, hell, it had component out when it was released;)

Valek

supergamer said:
get your parents to proof-read your comments before you post them...you make no sense at all.

Slougi said:
Sy: The idea behind parhelia is to provide the best iq at good performance. It does do that, does it not? Of course on the 3d side it is now overpowered by the r300 line of cards.

for the price they charge it is simply not worth it imho