What's new

NRage transfer pak - "Can't open GB ROM file!"

radorn

I'm trying to use the transfer pak functionality in NRage to activate the cheats Perfect Dark awards you when you connect it to the GB PD game, but although I already tried the rom on an emu and even made a save, I get that error message.
What should I do?

EDIT: Judge yourself, Agozer.
The rom is recognized as a good dump by GoodGBx (marked [!]) and the .sav is generated with KiGB after saving at least one game. I provided a save although somewhere I read that for PD a save is not even needed.
60294096pb6.gif

67389372zy6.gif

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Are you sure you are using the Transfer Pak emulation properly? After all, it requires you to select both the GB game and its save file for the Transfer Pak emulation to work even in theory.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
I'm not sure if KiGB save files are supported, try using VBA-M and see if those work any better.

OP
R

radorn

sigh...

GB sav files are simple "dumps" of the sram of the emulated cartridge, and it makes no difference what emu makes it, unless the emulator is broken, of course, but that's not the case with KiGB.

Still, I tried your suggestion and got a copy of VBA-M, made a new .sav with it, and tried again, in spite of logic indicating it would make no difference, and other two important facts.
1. The error message refers to the ROM, and not the .sav file.
2. (quote from the plugin's manual) "For some games, like Perfect Dark, you only need the ROM" http://www.randomwisdom.com/nrage_manual/nrage_manual.html

It seems the problem is with the rom, but as I said earlier, it is recognized as a good dump by goodtools, so I don't know what the problem is.

OP
R

radorn

No permissions.
I'm on XP and am admininstrator.

Anyway. I decided to fallback to "vanilla" versions of nrage, v2 1.83, the last released version before the overhaul, and I can finally use the transfer pak functionality.