What's new

No more privacy - Yet another reason to ditch AOL/AIM

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
From the good ship slashdot;
"AOL has posted new terms of service for AIM, that include the right for AOL to use anything and everything you send through AIM in any way they see fit, without informing you. A sample passage: '...by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy.'"
I feel sorry for all you AOL'ers. Well I already did of course but more so now. ;) Damn that's a scary thing to have to agree to. :plain:

Gorxon

Administrator
Yikes...That's gotta be a fake EULA? Usually it's way more subtle than that, and that's just outragous. Imagine the phone companies putting up something like that for conversation and SMS. I am pretty sure that EULA isn't even legal here in my country, but since it's an US based company that doesn't matter.

smegforbrain

It's not fake, Gorxon. I just located it in the Terms of Service from www.aim.com.

And with ICQ also being owned by AOL, I wouldn't be surprised if the same terms apply there.

I should add: didn't they try a ToS like this years ago with Hotmail, and everybody took notice of MS's stupidity?

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
I wonder what AOL will do about something like Trillian, where they really shouldn't have any control... It's a pretty shocking idea considering it'll apply to text chat, voice/video chat, sent files etc. Hm, wonder if this might even be considered as breaking the current wiretapping laws..?

_Chrono_

aka Chrono Archangel
bcrew1375 said:
Are you sure? I couldn't find it anywhere in their ToS. Is this the same thing you were looking at? http://www.aim.com/tos/tos.adp

its there

Content You Post
You may only post Content that you created or which the owner of the Content has given you. You may not post or distribute Content that is illegal or that violates these Terms of Service. By posting or submitting Content on any AIM Product, you represent and warrant that (i) you own all the rights to this Content or are authorized to use and distribute this Content on the AIM Product and (ii) this Content does not and will not infringe any copyright or any other third-party right nor violate any applicable law or regulation. Although you or the owner of the Content retain ownership of all right, title and interest in Content that you post to any AIM Product, AOL owns all right, title and interest in any compilation, collective work or other derivative work created by AOL using or incorporating this Content. In addition, by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the Content or to be compensated for any such uses.

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
My friend sent me a security addition for AIM for this patch, so that AOL can't read the messages and such. It's quite impressive..

:D

smcd

Vile324 said:
My friend sent me a security addition for AIM for this patch, so that AOL can't read the messages and such. It's quite impressive..

:D
Uh, just use gaim and the plugin for it that uses gpg... presto.

Trotterwatch

I doubt they'll get much of interest out of the chat logs, unless AOL really want to use things such as:

i donloded teh knew britney speers sexy sung of kazzaz it good!!!!

AOL have always sucked ass anyways :) Indeed I recommend that everyone who doesn't like this measure just log onto AOL once a day, and write:

AOL suck donkey balls

See if they use that :D

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Trotterwatch said:
i donloded teh knew britney speers sexy sung of kazzaz it good!!!!
That is so frighteningly accurate I'm suspicious of how you got it so perfect... :shifty:

smcd

You're using their service, so I'd imagine it'll apply as they probably mean it to apply not only to their client but to their service.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
ICQ (and thus probably AIM) clients send messages directly to the user by IP. the exception is if you have set your settings to not reveal IP, or are sending an offline message, in which case it'll go through the server first. (Trillian, for example, explains this in the options). So... as long as the clients keep doing this, they can't log your regular conversations. And since I use trillian... I'm not worried that this will ever change.

Gorxon

Administrator
zAlbee: I assume AIM works the way MSN does, because that is about the only way to get around firewalls and such nicely. That means that whatever client you are using it will send it through AIM's server. Just run "cmd" and then "netstat" when sending a message and you'll likely not see the IP of the person you are sending to, but only AIM's server.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Can someone post a link to that GAIM plugin please? For Linux.

Regardless, Fuck AIM, I'm slowly migrating out of AIM for MSN, which, may or may not be the better of 2 evils. I don't know, there isn't really a decent messenger service anymore, wait until AIM decides it shouldn't be free to use anymore and they start charging, it will happen, mark my words.