What's new

Ninty DS

Macca

In an official press release from Nintendo today, we can announce with both wonder and astonishment the latest Nintendo machine: The Nintendo DS portable!

In a shocking announcement which is set to rock the gaming world, Nintendo have released details of their forthcoming DS Portable gaming system. Rumours began flying a few weeks ago after mysterious words were uttered from Nintendo spokes people regarding a new machine. Some thought the machine would be the fabled “Game Boy Enhanced” with the mighty power to play Game Boy Advance AND Gamecube games, however this is not the case.

This surprising move from Nintendo sees them releasing a third stand-alone portable system to take games playing and interactivity to a completely different plane of existence! This new machine will feature not one but two 3” TFT LCD screens to allow for greater scope and perspective on the games. The two screens will be backlit to allow for poor-light play. The main processor is pparently an "ARM 9" with the Sub-processor an "ARM 7".

Here’s the official word from Nintendo:

”Players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a football game, you can view the whole game on one screen, while simultaneously focusing on an individual footballer's tackle or goal on the other screen. Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of their environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other.”

Self-styled “Funny Man of Gaming” and Nintendo president Satoru Iwata had this to say on the new product:

"We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century"

The Nintendo DS will feature two separate screens, separate processors and a semiconductor memory of up to 1 gigabit. It will be marketed and sold as a separate entity to Game Boy Advance and the Gamecube systems. More information will be available at E3 when the system will be fully unveiled for the first time. Nintendo says we can expect a world-wide launch before the end of the year!

Start saving your pennies now, kids!

right from http://emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=60

OP
Macca

Macca

New info of some concept art floating around, it appears to have been leaked from nintendo itself

nintendodsannounced.jpg

Remote

mmkay, makes sense in that case.. :p guess there aren't a must for mockups to look good.. ;-)

ps. thought you were really bored.. :)

hmm, the two screens sounds interesting, but i cant see how this wont take market share away from the GBA unless of course its way more expensive..

Then its only advantage is that its portable, smells too much of a 3DO price tag slapped on a machien with two screens.. whats that about?!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I don't think it's set to take away the market from the gba, but merly steal the market from sony.

jollyrancher

If this thing is for real, I don't like the sound of these two screens... I'd rather have something that could play GCN (or even N64) games on one screen. Shifting back and forth with the screens during a fast-paced game of football sounds like it would give me a headache. And to look at a map in an RPG it seems just as easy to pause the game and bring it up. The only benefit of two screens would be a 2 player racing game, but 2 people can't play a single portable at the same time.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
I cant imagine any game that can take advantage of the double screen enough to justify a whole new system for this.

Cant they just make a big screen and split it when necessary?

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I give you three games which could very well utilize this tech:

Metroid
Zelda
Metal Gear Solid

All three for inventory, maps, objective, game independent, Metal Gear solid, on alert mode, to show where swat or enemies are.

It could be done well, but it remains to be seen.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
There's a lengthy thread on Beyond3D about this, with basically 1-2 naysayers and like 10 people throwing around possible uses that sound really neat.

jollyrancher

The thing is that I can think of a few (and I mean few) uses for the dual screens, but why not just save battery power (dual processors for the 2 screens?) by having one bigger screen. I agree that MGS might be good with two screens... some sorta radar on the second screen, but I prefer fast-paced games and having to switch back and forth would suck... can you even turn the second screen off? The real problem here is lack of details... no mention of MP3 or MPEG functions... and this 3rd party concept at least lets Nintendo wash their hands if it doesn't work out.

Doomulation

Really, a handheld is not MEANT FOR MP3 or mpeg! Who cares about that?!
Anyway...this two screens might sound a little absurd, but it could work with maps and whatnot...it's not like you have to switch to whatever screen all the time I guess.
It sounds absurd, indeed, so I suppose we need to wait until we get more news.

JevilKnevil

Hexidecimal said:
I give you three games which could very well utilize this tech:

Metroid
Zelda
Metal Gear Solid

Switching to that damn 3D map every 5 seconds when playing Metroid really irritated me. Same goes for Zelda, so I can see that this could become handy. But I agree, rather get one BIIIIIIIIG screen than two screens. BTW, sounds like this thing is going to be huge.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Two mid sized screens are actually LESS of a power drain than one larger one, not to mention the pricing on larger screens is exponential. A pair of screens rather than one big one also fits better with a GBA-SP esque clamshell design.

And yes, the two screens can be "combined" as one for games that want to (SHMUPs, anyone? OMG a good hand-held SHMUP would own...).

jollyrancher

Wouldn't there be a small gap between the two screens, where it would be easy to lose track of the missles in SHMUPs? I'm sure they're trying to make it more compact by using 2 screens but I question whether it would be annoying to play a normal "one screen" game on the two screens.

Doomulation

What you say, is stupid. I don't want a small little handheld to watch movies. I want to listen to mp3? I use an mp3 player.
What the handhelds should offer is GAMING. That's what nothing else can do, and besides - it WILL be cheaper.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
sheik124 said:
"oh um, yeah we want our systems for games and games only" THAT ISN'T WHAT PEOPLE WANT!!! they want a sexy little gadget that'll do everything they want it to do, not "games and games only"

Go buy an N-Gage... :plain

By N-Gage's sales, it doesnt look like you have any idea what 'people' want.

2fast4u

sheik124 said:
i hope no one flames me for this but nintendo was skyrocketing downward lately, and i kind of expected them to go belly-up two home consoles from now if they continue to do the dumbest fucking things, like "oh um, yeah we want our systems for games and games only" THAT ISN'T WHAT PEOPLE WANT!!! they want a sexy little gadget that'll do everything they want it to do, not "games and games only" now i expect their belly-uppyness to occur sometime within the next year or 2.
this is going to fail like Sega CD, Sega 32X, Nintendo Virtual Boy, and the Atari 5-something all put together
instead of doing a gay-ass thing like this, they should wake up and smell the daisies and make a super-charged hand held with OPTICAL MEDIA! *smacks Satoru Iwata with a 100 CD spindle*
now this thing could go well if in games that don't need two different displays, they can be placed flush side-by-side to make a pseudo-6" widescreen instead of 2 3" 4:3's for some really nice action adventure 3d gaming

hehe, considering the n-gage sales (see above) plus the possible price tag of those devices it doesnt seem like that concept is catching on yet. furthermore, putting yourself in the position to predict the fate of a gaming device you havent even seen yet, actually only read a single article about is just a little bit pretentious. and what the fuck is supposed to be sexy about a godamn gaming/mp3/mpeg device anyway? :p considering the stories floating around on the net about the gamecube controller i probably shouldnt investigate that any further.

as usual, im staying calm and observating. the concept sounds interesting yet strange at the same time and i sure as hell wont damn that thing before anyones ever seen or played it. time will tell :sp_canada