What's new

New User, Vista Compatibility

Olly

(Y)
I'm going to be getting a new PC soon, and as you can see by my system specs my current one's barely good enough to run the emulator. So I just wanted some advice on how I should best go about getting a PC that will run well with it.

So firstly, is Dolphin compatible with Windows Vista, or does it run slower than on Windows XP (both 64-bit)?
And secondly, could you recommend any tweaks to this system for better results?

-Vista Premium/Home 64-bit edition
-AMD AM2 64 4400 X2 Dual-Core (2.3 GHz)
-2048MB DDR 2 667 MHz
-Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire - DDR 800
-ATi Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB

Sorry if you get loads of people just posting specs, but any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Yeah, because we don't like to answer such posts.
If you really want to know, try it yourself.
But I know, your specs won't be good enough. Mostly because Dolphin isn't optimized and your whole PC isn't much more than a good mid range PC nowadays... change the CPU for example to a C2D and you'll get better results... and please@all, stop posting your system specs here and ask, how does it run...

LelandStanford

You're specs show that should be able to run the 64 bit version at ok speeds. Vista tends to suck, you're better off with XP 64 bit.

OP
O

Olly

(Y)
A good mid-range PC is the best I can afford, but I'm just trying to make the most out of my money here.

Sorry if you're that bothered by these questions, but I'm just asking for some help. I think I'm just gonna go for XP 64-bit, as that's what everyone recommends.

And I was told that AMD was better than Intel Core Duo for CPU at the moment, especially for gaming.

Anyway, cya around!

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
You don't have to be sorry, it's not your fault and it's not stated in the rules at all.
I can really recommend C2D over any AMD CPU atm, I was a AMD Fanboy, long time ago, but you should really check some benchmarks and you'll see that Intel is far away in nearly all benchmarks.
XP64 and Vista64 is also a question of RIG Power, because Vista needs more power than XP, but you're ready for the future...
I would recommend Vista64, but I don't seem to be anyone... :p

h4Ck3R

vista 64-bit runs programs WAY better than xp 64-bit does. idk why but i was hittin like 40fps on zelda in vista and 20 in xp. vista also ran warcraft a lot better so im not surprised. BUT i have a dual core 3.0ghz cpu and 512 mb graphics memory. i would recommend you use vista 64-bit for dolphin or actually any program over windows xp 64-bit if u have a decent computer (yours is fine).

OP
O

Olly

(Y)
Well, I guess you changed my mind all over again (easily swayed), so I'll go for Vista.
And to MasterPhW: If you mean a Core2Duo, yes, it's a lot better, but it may be a little out of my budget. I'll go do some more research on the matter.

vista 64-bit runs programs WAY better than xp 64-bit does. idk why but i was hittin like 40fps on zelda in vista and 20 in xp. vista also ran warcraft a lot better so im not surprised. BUT i have a dual core 3.0ghz cpu and 512 mb graphics memory. i would recommend you use vista 64-bit for dolphin or actually any program over windows xp 64-bit if u have a decent computer (yours is fine).

I think I heard somewhere that Vista works better with dual-core PCs, so that may be the case there.

Well, I think my question's been answered now, so thanks for all the help.

Paulnpoosy

I think that Vista rund Dolphin better (maybe) because Vista has directX 10 and that runsgames better.. if you have a DX10 Video Card -COrrect me if im wrong..
(O )( O)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Having DirectX10 compatible video card generally means nothing since Dolphin only uses DirectX9.

Last edited:
OP
O

Olly

(Y)
Yeah, I think Agozer's right. Plus, there must be a way of getting DirectX10 with XP! Right?

Agozer

There is already a way to get DirectX10 for Windows XP. Said way is just not advertised nor supported by Microsoft, obviously.

Last edited:
OP
O

Olly

(Y)
Meh.
I've seen the announcements about the new graphics cards ATI and nVidia will be announcing. I may well have to reconsider or wait to see what I'll be buying in terms of graphics cards, as they're looking a darn sight better and not much more expensive.

Anyone keeping track of graphics cards, and wish to pitch in?

There is already a way to get DirectX10 for Windows XP. Said way is just not advertised nor supported by Microsoft, obviously.

To be honest, unless you're very strange, you won't need DirectX10 for XP. If you can afford a graphics card that runs DirectX10 well, you can afford anything, Vista included.

Agozer

To be honest, unless you're very strange, you won't need DirectX10 for XP. If you can afford a graphics card that runs DirectX10 well, you can afford anything, Vista included.
Yeah, I can agree with you on that.

smcd

XP was buggy and had problems right out of the box. XP does not support Direct 10 so for people wanting it, Vista is the only option. (for better or worse)

XP was buggy and had problems right out of the box. XP does not support Direct 10 so for people wanting it, Vista is the only option. (for better or worse)

The key words there is Vista "is" buggy and XP "was". We have to use the best of what we have now.

OP
O

Olly

(Y)
Everyone seems to have different opinions...

Well, with the graphics card I'm getting, and pretty much any graphics card on the market at the moment, DirectX10 isn't a big improvement (at the moment), and just hogs all the graphics card.

Obviously that'll change, but for now it's best just sticking with DirectX 9 in my opinion. I reckon new games will still be having DirectX 9 support for at least another year anyway.