What's new

New release, no netplay?

GE Master

Firstly, Mupen is my fave emu, but basically with Mupen64K version.

Please enlighten me why you would make a new release that doesn't have netplay. The brainpower of Okaygo obviously could have made this possible, so I don't understand it. I'm not being disrespectful of the effort and great work you guys have put into the emu. I'm just disappointed with no netplay and honestly I wonder why you didn't include it.

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.

Please enlighten me why you would make a new release that doesn't have netplay. The brainpower of Okaygo obviously could have made this possible, so I don't understand it. I'm not being disrespectful of the effort and great work you guys have put into the emu. I'm just disappointed with no netplay and honestly I wonder why you didn't include it.
We have an issue in our issue tracker open for implementing netplay:

http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/issues/detail?id=16

Right now it's marked as low priority and no one has taken initiative to assign it to themselves (including okaygo), which probably means no one is currently working on it. We take the "release early, release often" opensource approach, so netplay is not a guarantee at any particular release. I can tell that netplay is definitely a high priority to you, and it's something I'm looking forward to having in mupen64plus, but be aware that it may not be a high priority to others and we don't have it targeted for any particular upcoming release.

If you have experience developing software and are interested in working on netplay, you're welcome to submit patches via our issue tracker.

Richard42

Emulator Developer

I looked into pulling in the Mupen64K changes into the project several months ago, but okaygo lost the source code, so that was not possible. The changes were also windows-specific, and since we are focusing on 32-bit and 64-bit linux systems, it would have taken more work to port the changes. Anybody who wants to contribute features and work on our project is welcome.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
If someone DOES do this, please use RakNet or SDL_Net or something multiplatform. Kaillera isn't all that good in the first place, If anyone does this please do try implementing it with a low level library or a multiplatform high level library. The GUI part shouldn't be much of an issue in the near future when it is decided how to handle addons to the GUI.

And I mean this by people doing other emulators also. Please, if the emu is multiplatform, try to keep the other platforms in mind...

OP
GE Master

GE Master

Like I said, Mupen is great. I would suggest with all do respect, that amongst the emu players, netplay is the top priority. I think I'm speaking globally when I say, Mupen64K was and still is the saviour to anyone wanting solid online N64 gameplay. But I do appreciate what you guys are saying. I just think that Mupen64K was far underrated. Mupen is solid, and you guys have improved on that. Whether or not Okaygo likes it, he is the man! The whole "lost the source" seems fishy to me. I still say he's buried it in a desert somewhere as leverage against Nintendo if they ever threaten him. Okaygo can always threaten them that he will release his code!!!

In closing, you guys invested time making Mupen possible. Having netplay would without doubt vastly increase your users. It's like a songwriter. They ultimately would want their song/message heard by as many people as possible. You're telling me you guys don't feel the same way?

Last edited:

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Well Mupen64k is cool for WINDOWS users. We're developing this emulator as we want a fully multiplatform emulator. No body using Linux or Mac OS X or FreeBSD is going to care about Mupen64k, because it was Windows only in the first place, we just want N64 emulation...

The bottom line is, Unless someone actually cares to implement it, its not going to get implemented.

And btw, there is no conspiracy, that's just plain dumb... Sorry. If someone wanted to do netplay, it would be done, 3 N64 emulators have done it before and Nintendo has not said anything different because of it. Losing the source happens. It SUCKS.

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Like I said, Mupen is great. I would suggest with all do respect, that amongst the emu players, netplay is the top priority. I think I'm speaking globally when I say, Mupen64K was and still is the saviour to anyone wanting solid online N64 gameplay. But I do appreciate what you guys are saying. I just think that Mupen64K was far underrated. Mupen is solid, and you guys have improved on that. Whether or not Okaygo likes it, he is the man! The whole "lost the source" seems fishy to me. I still say he's buried it in a desert somewhere as leverage against Nintendo if they ever threaten him. Okaygo can always threaten them that he will release his code!!!

In closing, you guys invested time making Mupen possible. Having netplay would without doubt vastly increase your users. It's like a songwriter. They ultimately would want their song/message heard by as many people as possible. You're telling me you guys don't feel the same way?

The problem isn't implementing netplay into Mupen again, it's porting Kaillera into Linux. (This could be done, but its a side project, and not a priority)

Netplay will come, and probably in more than one style, but not for a little bit... hold tight Graham

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
No, please, if you chose to do netplay just use a multiplatform library. Hell, someone else will probably create a GUI for you even. Just don't use Kaillera, even if a stable opensource version emerges. (The GUI of Kaillera will never fit in right, and we can have a much better GUI than they can.) If we REALLY wanted Kaillera, we could use a Wine + compatibility layer (can even be done on completely different processors with enough care ;) ) but that's too much work for something like this.

OP
GE Master

GE Master

C'mon don't be so serious!! The lost code buried in the desert is just a joke doods!!! Sheesh.

When you say "we just want emulation" I'm not sure who you are speaking on behalf of. If it's the developers fine. However, when I refer to "we", it refers to the thousands of players who would be using your emu because it has online play. Erm, bungled GE on XBLA caused how many online petitions? Erm... Again, go back and read the part about musicians writing music. Is it music just to their ears that they care about?

But 'nuff said on this. I was just checking to see or understand where you guys were thinking in terms of netplay. I hear what you guys are saying. Great. I understand now thanks!

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm a Mupen lover!!

Last edited:

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Mupen64's not our emulator, And nor is Mupen64k (though it IS okaygos but its kinda falling under the same catagory of being a modification). Windows users have used Mupen64k, Linux and Mac OS X users never could in the first place and could care less. Trust me, I know the target audience: Multiple Linux users agree emulation quality is much more important.

Developers are doing what they wish right now. It may be done sometime soon, but you have to wait for the emulation to build up better.

Last edited:

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
No, please, if you chose to do netplay just use a multiplatform library. Hell, someone else will probably create a GUI for you even. Just don't use Kaillera, even if a stable opensource version emerges. (The GUI of Kaillera will never fit in right, and we can have a much better GUI than they can.) If we REALLY wanted Kaillera, we could use a Wine + compatibility layer (can even be done on completely different processors with enough care ;) ) but that's too much work for something like this.
I haven't looked into this much yet, but I thought kaillera is just a standard protocol for connecting players for netplay sessions. Can't we use SDL or some other "real" network api to implement kaillera? From what I've read, kaillera is something like 8 api calls...how they're implemented and what the gui looks like is implementation-specific. Again, I haven't looked into this a lot so maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about here.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Kaillera isn't documented, its mainly a closed library that hasn't been in development in many years. A protocol it is, or has underlying of course, but projects implementing it have had to do reverse engineering of some sort to figure it out.