What's new

New Mupen64Plus v1.99.3 release February 2010

SpeedofMac

I've been doing some work on my Mupen64Plus launcher for Snow Leopard users. It has some pretty useful features now:
  • Download & install mupen64plus.cfg file for those who do not have it
  • Game launching
  • Save state choosing/saving/loading
  • Volume up/down
  • Choose default resolution
  • Choose default windowed/fullscreen
  • Enable/disable Rice hi-res textures
  • Select hi-res textures folder to add to Mupen64Plus

If you're interested in trying it out (and using it until something better comes along), check out http://speedofmac.com/speedofmac_mp64+_launcher.html. You can leave comments, thank-yous, problems, suggestions, and anything else at http://speedofmac.com/blog/testers-wanted-mp64-mac-gui/

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
You would think the Xbox controller works right? Displays "NO CONTROLLER" in the game and no inputs including keyboard, work.

Congratulations franpa, you found a use case which doesn't work. :) What is happening in your particular case is that your first joystick (Logitech(R) Precision(TM) Gamepad) is not recognized for auto-config, so it isn't set up. Your second joystick (Xbox 360 controller) is recognized and configured, but it is set up as N64 Controller #2. For whatever reason Zelda doesn't like this; it only takes Controller 1, so it complains.

I'll find some way to fix this in the next few days, but it may take a while because I would like to do a minor re-design of the auto-configuration to support an extra feature which will helpful for those using GUIs. Making it 'foolproof' and able to gracefully handle any use case is really difficult, so I'll have to think it through carefully.

Meanwhile, to get around this particular problem you could either just unplug your logitech controller, or save your configuration (with --saveoptions) and then edit mupen64plus.cfg to change swap the [Input-SDL-Control1] and [Input-SDL-Control2] sections so that your XBox360 controller is #1 instead of #2.

franpa

Thanks, that work around works fine. Does the emulator use game specific hacks? as it says it has enabled hacks for Zelda in the console. Or is it referring to things like CPU Core, Self-mod code method, default memory size (4 or 8MB), Advanced Block Linking etc.?

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Thanks, that work around works fine. Does the emulator use game specific hacks? as it says it has enabled hacks for Zelda in the console. Or is it referring to things like CPU Core, Self-mod code method, default memory size (4 or 8MB), Advanced Block Linking etc.?

I think that line about the hacks is coming from Rice Video (it should say "Video:" at the start of the line). It supports some per-game settings, which are configured in the RiceVideoLinux.ini file. If you look up the game by its CRC in that file, I think its section is empty, so it's not really applying any hacks.

vkn

CuteMupen - Qt front-end

Hello,

just a word about CuteMupen which is a Qt front-end for Mupen64+ 1.99.3.
It's still pretty limited in the settings it allows (currently resolution/fullscreen/OSD),
but I plan to add more.
The project page is http://sourceforge.net/projects/cutemupen/
and there are builds for Linux 32&64bits as well as Windows 32bits.
Check the downloads at https://sourceforge.net/projects/cutemupen/files/,
the Linux archives are in the 0.0.5pre1 folder, the Windows one in 0.0.5pre2.
I have no access to Mac machines, so I'd be glad to get feedback about those
and maybe a binary :)
Feel free to use the forums in the sourceforge.net project space for discussion,
help requests, feature requests, etc.

Thank you

Auria

vkn: I can confirm it builds on Mac :)
Main problem atm is that I can't select the libmupen64plus.dylib file, it appears greyed out in the file selector; I'm not sure why, the code seems OK to me, maybe it's a bug in Qt (I don't have the latest version so I could test upgrading).
But anyway, for a binary release we'll want to package mupen + the GUI in a self-contained package with paths automatically set :) Any support for auto path resolution? If so I could adapt this bit of code for mac]

EDIT: Oh, when I try to run a ROM, I get "file: rval: 6" in a dialog, and "dlopen('') error" on the terminal - probably because there's no core selected, but a better error message is needed ;)

Last edited:

SpeedofMac

For any Snow Leopard users who're interested, I've put up a new version of my MP64+ Launcher.

The most notable features are the ability to chose your video plugin and the ability to view, edit, and save your mupen64plus.cfg file from within the launcher. This way, you don't need to type "open -a TextEdit ~/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg" into Terminal and change the config file in TextEdit every time you want to change a setting.

You can check out http://speedofmac.com/blog/speedofmac-mp64-launcher-updated/ and http://speedofmac.com/speedofmac_mp64+_launcher.html for more information.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Auria

vkn: I updated to latest Qt, unfortunately your code will not compile because generated by Qt 4.5 ;)

vkn

vkn: I updated to latest Qt, unfortunately your code will not compile because generated by Qt 4.5 ;)

Hi Auria !

I don't know why the libmupen64plus.dylib would be greyed out and unselectable.
Are you sure you're in the "Select Mupen64 core library file" dialog when this happens ?
Other dialogs just expect a directory...

I had some feedback from SpeedOfMac telling me he had a "rval: 6" error too,
and it seemed due to the fact that dependencies (like libpng12.0.dylib from
mupen64plus-1.99.3-osx/x86_32/mupen64plus.app/Contents/libs/) were not found.
I suggested running from commandline after adding this directory to
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, but don't know yet if it worked.

Now for the Qt version related build errors, I could build CuteMupen on Windows
with Qt 4.6.2, so I don't think it's really related to version.
Maybe after changing Qt version you have to "make distclean" or simply delete
all generated files. Those would be, on top of my head,
  • debug/ directory
  • release/ directory
  • Makefile* files (or rather cutemupen.xcodeproj on MacOS ?)
  • ui_mainwindow.h
Once those are removed, just re-run "qmake" and rebuild CuteMupen.
I'd be happy to get your feedback about all this, the best is probably that you
contact me by mail or use http://sourceforge.net/projects/cutemupen/.

Auria

Hey, not bad at all :)
Of course ideally we'd integrate them (mupen binaries and frontend) in a single app bundle so that the user doesn't have to follow special installation steps; guess you'd need to make the paths relative to your bundle.
of course the configuration of plugins doesn't cover the full range of what can be configured, but it's a nice helpful tool for now :)

SpeedofMac

Hey, not bad at all :)
Of course ideally we'd integrate them (mupen binaries and frontend) in a single app bundle so that the user doesn't have to follow special installation steps; guess you'd need to make the paths relative to your bundle.
of course the configuration of plugins doesn't cover the full range of what can be configured, but it's a nice helpful tool for now :)

I figured out how to make the paths relative to the bundle, so that's good. I've had some positive feedback from some Mac users who said that they wouldn't've been able to use MP64+ without the launcher, so that's encouraging! I don't have the programming wherewithal to make a proper GUI, but it is a handy tool until one gets finished.

kzz5

I was wondering if there is support for a Dualshock 3 controller over bluetooth? I'm running Fedora 12 and have my controller setup over bluetooth and it doesn't work with mupen64plus but if I connect it with a usb cable it works. Other emulators work with my bluetooth setup though.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I was wondering if there is support for a Dualshock 3 controller over bluetooth? I'm running Fedora 12 and have my controller setup over bluetooth and it doesn't work with mupen64plus but if I connect it with a usb cable it works. Other emulators work with my bluetooth setup though.

It probably has a different name when it's connected via bluetooth, and the name isn't included in the InputAutoCfg.ini file. Just run it once from the command-line with the bluetooth setup and look at the name of the joystick (it will say something like "no configuration found for joystick 'NAME'"). Then edit your InputAutoCfg.ini file to add this controller as a duplicate of the dualshock 3 configuration.

kzz5

Thanks that worked. Is local multiplayer with 2 controllers possible? with goldeneye? I have 2 sixaxis controllers but multiplayer option is grayed out