What's new

New Mupen64Plus v1.99.3 release February 2010

SpeedofMac

Still nothing, but thx anyway and so we wait for the QT UI release ;)

That's a pain! Would you be able to e-mail me the Terminal print-out? I'd really like to get something working for Mac users who don't have much experience using the Terminal.

Edit:

I received a rather helpful bog comment, and I believe that the launcher should be working properly now. There was a problem with using Automator's "Watch Me Do" function, so I replaced all of that with AppleScript. You can download it from http://speedofmac.com/mupen64plus2_2.html.

Let me know if it works for you!

Edit:

The updated launcher has been confirmed as working by two different people. Enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Is there a way to increase the size of the game window? In the "Glide64.ini" file I'm able to change scale_x and scale_y to adjust the resolution, but I haven't been able to find a setting to change the window size to match. Am I missing something?

Great job, by the way. The "InputAutoCfg.ini" is an excellent addition to the project, and I look forward to future releases.

This seems to be a limitation in the Glide64 plugin; it's not completely ported yet and still doesn't use the new Mupen64Plus configuration interface. If you use the Arachnoid or Rice Video plugins you should be able to change the resolution, at least using the --resolution option of the console UI.

SpeedofMac

Thanks for getting back to me, Richard. What's the proper syntax for using "--resolution" in the console UI? I'm having a bit of trouble with it. I read the UIConsoleUsage entry in the Wiki on the Google Code page, but I think it assumes that a user launches a rom with the Mupen64Plus application instead of a graphics plugin.

When I try
Code:
./run_arach.sh --resolution (800x600) example.v64
I get a "-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('" error. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

John

Edit:

I'm able to edit the mupen64plus.cfg file and it works properly, but it'd be nice to know how to do it from the command line, too.

Last edited:

SpeedofMac

Try removing ( and ) like:
mupen64plus-ui-console.exe --resolution 800x600

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm on a Mac, which might be make things a little trickier. Here's what I got when I put in "./run_rice.sh --resolution 800x600 example.v64"

Code:
Johns-Abacus:Mupen64Plus john$ ./run_rice.sh --resolution 800x600 example.v64
 __  __                         __   _  _   ____  _             
|  \/  |_   _ _ __   ___ _ __  / /_ | || | |  _ \| |_   _ ___ 
| |\/| | | | | '_ \ / _ \ '_ \| '_ \| || |_| |_) | | | | / __|  
| |  | | |_| | |_) |  __/ | | | (_) |__   _|  __/| | |_| \__ \  
|_|  |_|\__,_| .__/ \___|_| |_|\___/   |_| |_|   |_|\__,_|___/  
             |_|         http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/  
Mupen64Plus Console User-Interface Version 1.99.3

UI-console: attached to core library 'Mupen64Plus Core' version 1.99.3
            Includes support for Dynamic Recompiler.
Error: couldn't open ROM file '--resolution' for reading.

I had a similar problem when trying to open rom names with spaces in them, even if they were preceded by a "\":

Code:
Johns-Abacus:Mupen64Plus john$ ./run_rice.sh Rom\ name\ with\ spaces.N64 
 __  __                         __   _  _   ____  _             
|  \/  |_   _ _ __   ___ _ __  / /_ | || | |  _ \| |_   _ ___ 
| |\/| | | | | '_ \ / _ \ '_ \| '_ \| || |_| |_) | | | | / __|  
| |  | | |_| | |_) |  __/ | | | (_) |__   _|  __/| | |_| \__ \  
|_|  |_|\__,_| .__/ \___|_| |_|\___/   |_| |_|   |_|\__,_|___/  
             |_|         http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/  
Mupen64Plus Console User-Interface Version 1.99.3

UI-console: attached to core library 'Mupen64Plus Core' version 1.99.3
            Includes support for Dynamic Recompiler.
Warning: unrecognized command-line parameter 'Rom'
Warning: unrecognized command-line parameter 'name'
Warning: unrecognized command-line parameter 'with'
Error: couldn't open ROM file 'spaces.N64' for reading.

I guess the command-line UI is searching for a rom so hard that it gets a little huffy when spaces are thrown into the mix.

Auria

I indeed notice that the console had trouble with roms with spaces in the path. Maybe you could file this as a bug report, if it's not already there

On my mac, I have no problem using the --resolution switch; I adapted the launch commands from the .sh launch scripts I included in the binary to read this way :

Code:
./mupen64plus.app/Contents/MacOS/mupen64plus
--corelib ./mupen64plus.app/Contents/MacOS/libmupen64plus.dylib 
--plugindir ./mupen64plus.app/Contents/MacOS
--gfx mupen64plus-video-rice
--resolution 800x600 example.v64
(on a single line, I split the lines to avoid breaking the forum layout)

Why it didn't work for you is because you are using

Code:
./run_rice.sh --resolution 800x600 example.v64
if you check inside run_rice.sh, it expects only a single argument; so, in this case, you passed 3, and it just ignored the last two.

EDIT: another way is to edit the .sh file, and replace $1 with $*. Then your line will work.

Last edited:

SpeedofMac

EDIT: another way is to edit the .sh file, and replace $1 with $*. Then your line will work.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I built a nice little Automator application that let the user enter a window resolution width and height and then passed those into the mupen64plus.cfg file, but I guess that it isn't quite as useful now!

I changed $1 to $* in the .sh file, and it works flawlessly. Thanks again!

SpeedofMac

I'm having some trouble changing the default key mappings for Mupen64Plus. The keys shown at http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/KeyboardSetup don't quite match up with the mappings in the InputAutoCfg.ini file. InputAutoCfg.ini has the d-pad mapped to number pad keys (new Macs don't have these by default) and the analog stick mapped to the arrow keys, but the documentation on the Google Code page shows W, S, A, and D and the arrow keys being used.

For some reason, I can't change the mappings for W, S, A, and D, and I've been talking to someone else with the same problem. Does anyone know why this might be? I was able to remap Start from "Return" to "Space" without a problem.

Thanks,

John

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I'm having some trouble changing the default key mappings for Mupen64Plus. The keys shown at http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/KeyboardSetup don't quite match up with the mappings in the InputAutoCfg.ini file. InputAutoCfg.ini has the d-pad mapped to number pad keys (new Macs don't have these by default) and the analog stick mapped to the arrow keys, but the documentation on the Google Code page shows W, S, A, and D and the arrow keys being used.

Previously the picture on the google code wiki was incorrect; the D-pad and analog stick keys were swapped. Now it is correct: the D-pad should be mapped to WASD, and the analog stick should be mapped to the arrow keys. If your keys are not mapped this way, it could be that SDL uses different key mappings on the Mac, which would be pretty unfortunate. Can you find a file called SDL_keysym.h which contains the SDL mappings for the key codes? On linux this file is located in /usr/include/SDL. If you open this file with a text editor you can see which number code correspond with which keys.

If you can come up with 'correct' key mappings I can add them to the InputAutoCfg.ini file so that future releases will use these as defaults under OSX.

vkn

Thanks, and Qt launcher volunteer

Hello,

I've just recently learnt about Mupen64 and it's been a while since I wanted
a cross-platform emulator like this. So far it's been working fine for me, thanks for that :bouncy:

Also I read about the launcher effort, and I'm thinking about writing one in Qt.
Hopefuly I'll start this week-end, and I'll post first results here.
For sure, the goal is to have a cross-platform launcher, tho I'll only be able to
develop and test on Windows (Vista 32bits) and Ubuntu (9.04 64bits).
Just wanted to let you know so we don't waste time starting 2 (or more ;-) different
projects at the same time.
I guess you can contact me through the forum if need be.

Thanks again, and have a good week-end :flowers:

weaselboy246

I had a similar problem when trying to open rom names with spaces in them, even if they were preceded by a "\":

I guess the command-line UI is searching for a rom so hard that it gets a little huffy when spaces are thrown into the mix.

Enclose arguments that have spaces with quotes.

Tried out this emulator, and works very well. I like the handling of the joystick configuration. Wiimote with Classic Controller is always good for N64 emulation :p

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Also I read about the launcher effort, and I'm thinking about writing one in Qt.
Hopefuly I'll start this week-end, and I'll post first results here.
For sure, the goal is to have a cross-platform launcher, tho I'll only be able to
develop and test on Windows (Vista 32bits) and Ubuntu (9.04 64bits).
Just wanted to let you know so we don't waste time starting 2 (or more ;-) different
projects at the same time.
I guess you can contact me through the forum if need be.

Thanks again, and have a good week-end :flowers:

Vkn, great to hear about your interest in the project. I would encourage you to write a true front-end application using the shared library API, and not just a launcher which runs the command-line front-end through the shell. The reason for this is that a launcher is of limited use - it can only start games and set up some already-known options. A true front-end application is more complicated to write but also more powerful; it can do things like control the emulator while it is running, support rom debugging, set up all configuration parameters, retrieve detailed ROM information for display in the ROM browser, and allow more user-friendly logging/debug information from the core.

aru

Vkn, great to hear about your interest in the project. I would encourage you to write a true front-end application using the shared library API, and not just a launcher which runs the command-line front-end through the shell. The reason for this is that a launcher is of limited use - it can only start games and set up some already-known options. A true front-end application is more complicated to write but also more powerful; it can do things like control the emulator while it is running, support rom debugging, set up all configuration parameters, retrieve detailed ROM information for display in the ROM browser, and allow more user-friendly logging/debug information from the core.

Seconded. sadly i didn't knew about the shared api before i started to write the launcher otherwise it would be different by now... anyways i made a quick solution for now until the real one is done... and just as you mentioned you have better control of the whole thing using it which without doubts is the way to go.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Seconded. sadly i didn't knew about the shared api before i started to write the launcher otherwise it would be different by now... anyways i made a quick solution for now until the real one is done... and just as you mentioned you have better control of the whole thing using it which without doubts is the way to go.

That's no problem at all. You cranked out your C# launcher super quickly, and it helped out a lot of Windows users who would otherwise be stuck and wouldn't use Mupen64Plus at all. It will probably be the dominant M64+ front-end for Windows for a long time, because it takes care of most users' needs.

SpeedofMac

I've thrown together a basic Mac GUI for anyone who's interested. It’s an application that lets you choose window resolution, whether to run fullscreen, and a button to open a rom file:

som_mp64+_gui.png

It isn't much compared to the Windows frontend, but it isn't bad for never having built an application before!

It hasn't been tested on another computer yet, so I don't want to release it widely yet. E-mail me at info [at] speedofmac [dot] com if you're interested in trying it out!

aru

Nice work SpeedofMac! am going to switch to Snow Leopard later and give a try :)

Last edited:

aru

Just in case some Windows users are interested i just released v1.2 of my Mupen64Plus GUI today here

Here some images:

Last edited: