What's new

New Car Advice Wanted

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Ok, I'm 22, never owned a car myself, and am looking to buy.

My biggest priority is gas miliage. I've never had a car all my own so I kinda wanna have some fun and buy something new. But I don't want it to be too expensive, I'm aiming for needed payments of 200 or less over 60 months. I know Kias can be cheap new, but are they any good?

My only other want is safe, and something that won't put a spike in someone's insurance.

Any comments or idea? Is there perhaps any other info I should have? I know nothing about cars, and I know that fact won't help me.

rcgamer

the old guy
kias have the best warranty of any car manufacturer. ive wanted a sportage myself for a while now.

Eagle

aka Alshain
For your first car, forget about new cars. You say you have never owned a car, does this mean you don't have a lot of driving experience? I tore up my first car because I had just learned to drive, I was always hitting curbs and running over shit (like branches in the road, not people :p ). Its kinda expected of new drivers. Even if you are an experienced driver your still young enough that your either still in college or just got out (or never went) which means you need to aim for a used car price. You don't probably don't need anything fancy either, just get a cheap standard package used vehicle, or if you can find a better package like me at the same price go for it. I'd say $6000 or less you can get a decent 1995+ car you just have to look. Really I don't see the point in EVER buying a new car, the price doesn't justify the newness. Look at the car lots around you, your sure to find some good deals, most of the cars they have are either bought at dealer only auctions or traded in for newer ones and they are just out to get rid of them at all costs. I talked the guy down by $500 for mine.

Now here is the thing to look for... I talked about those auctions, here is how that works. If a dealer can't sell a used car after 2 months they usually auction them off to other dealers, those dealers try to buy them cheap and sell them for more. In any case the dealer that owns it usually loses money on the auction. So what do you do? Well if the car has been on the lot for a while, the dealer is usually willing to drop the price a little to prevent it from going to auction where they would lose a lot more money on it. So look for those cars that have been there a while and you will probably get a good deal.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Eagle said:
For your first car, forget about new cars. You say you have never owned a car, does this mean you don't have a lot of driving experience? I tore up my first car because I had just learned to drive, I was always hitting curbs and running over shit (like branches in the road, not people :p ). Its kinda expected of new drivers. Even if you are an experienced driver your still young enough that your either still in college or just got out (or never went) which means you need to aim for a used car price. You don't probably don't need anything fancy either, just get a cheap standard package used vehicle, or if you can find a better package like me at the same price go for it. I'd say $6000 or less you can get a decent 1995+ car you just have to look. Really I don't see the point in EVER buying a new car, the price doesn't justify the newness. Look at the car lots around you, your sure to find some good deals, most of the cars they have are either bought at dealer only auctions or traded in for newer ones and they are just out to get rid of them at all costs. I talked the guy down by $500 for mine.

Sound advice. In spite of most of my family being in the car business, not a one of us has ever bought a new car in our lifetimes, even if we could get it at a heavily discounted price. It simply isn't worth it.

Eagle said:
Now here is the thing to look for... I talked about those auctions, here is how that works. If a dealer can't sell a used car after 2 months they usually auction them off to other dealers, those dealers try to buy them cheap and sell them for more. In any case the dealer that owns it usually loses money on the auction. So what do you do? Well if the car has been on the lot for a while, the dealer is usually willing to drop the price a little to prevent it from going to auction where they would lose a lot more money on it. So look for those cars that have been there a while and you will probably get a good deal.

Bingo. You probably wont be able to do that by just approaching the dealor though, they'll always try to bring it up a bit. There might be a few tricks, e.g. set a price and be firm on it, make it clear that you are firm, etc. Maybe being a friend of a friend of a dealor helps.

OP
EdgeBlade

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Thanks for the advice, I don't mind used, as long as it was well taken care of. Is there any way to be sure that I'm not buying a car that's gonna fall apart? Also, would a used Kia still have the 10 year warrenty thing? - Probly not. But I found the reason some Kias are cheaper is because they don't have things like automatic transmition standerad, it's 900 more dollars. It's goes from $10,390 to $12,575 by adding a few things like Automatic Transmission, Radio, Power Steering, and Power Windows/Locks.

I feel those things should be standard.

Anyway, do you know of any older cars, 1995+ perhaps, that are known to have execelent gas miliage? Or is there an easy way to find out what the gas miliage of any given car is?

Eagle

aka Alshain
EdgeBlade said:
Thanks for the advice, I don't mind used, as long as it was well taken care of. Is there any way to be sure that I'm not buying a car that's gonna fall apart? Also, would a used Kia still have the 10 year warrenty thing? - Probly not. But I found the reason some Kias are cheaper is because they don't have things like automatic transmition standerad, it's 900 more dollars. It's goes from $10,390 to $12,575 by adding a few things like Automatic Transmission, Radio, Power Steering, and Power Windows/Locks.

I feel those things should be standard.

Anyway, do you know of any older cars, 1995+ perhaps, that are known to have execelent gas miliage? Or is there an easy way to find out what the gas miliage of any given car is?

Mine actually tells me what gas mileage its getting on a digital readout as well as how many miles I have to go before my tank runs out. But actually most car dealers post the estimated gas mileage on the car's data sheet. I think it may be required by law in Texas and other states to do so. It will usually list City and Highway, meaning Stop and Go driving or Long Distance driving. Naturally Stop and go will be lower. The best gas mileages come from the Hybrids of course. It's hard to find those used though.

Edit: Forgot about the first question, you can get mechanics to look them over before you buy them. The guy I went to did it free since I didn't have him take the tires off, even if they charge you its probably well worth it. My dealership let me "borrow" the car for 24 hours once I was sure I probably wanted it. After the mechanic said it was in good condition I bought it. Also I was lucky, the previous owner kept all the reciepts for the car from oil changes to recall repairs so I know exactly whats been replaced.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
EdgeBlade said:
Also, would a used Kia still have the 10 year warrenty thing?

Don't get a kia. (or any korean car for that matter, except hyundai which is so-so)

Last edited:

rcgamer

the old guy
it would have whatever remains of the warranty. if its a two year old car it would have 8 years left on the warranty.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
It may be different in the US but i've had a bad experience with korean cars because it's nearly impossible to sell them... So if you buy one, you have to be sure you won't want to change it soon. Besides that the cars aren't that bad and they're cheap, with almost no options tho.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Civics are good cars to have because of the gas mileage. The best advice I can give you is to look at local card dealerships and find a car with around 60,000 to 80,000 miles on it for a decent price. Also try to stay away from V8s because of the poor gas mileage. If you can get a 4 cylinder engine then that would be best for the gas.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Mystic Gohan said:
Civics are good cars to have because of the gas mileage. The best advice I can give you is to look at local card dealerships and find a car with around 60,000 to 80,000 miles on it for a decent price. Also try to stay away from V8s because of the poor gas mileage. If you can get a 4 cylinder engine then that would be best for the gas.

That's assuming you can stand the collosal lack of power that a 4 cylinder engine offers. I prefer V6 cause I like to feel the car move when I hit the gas. V8's are only good for larger vehicles.

OP
EdgeBlade

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Allright, so I'm gonna be looking for a V6 (I need SOME power) and I'll make sure the millage is between or close to 60,000 to 80,000. - Thanks :)

aprentice

EdgeBlade said:
Allright, so I'm gonna be looking for a V6 (I need SOME power) and I'll make sure the millage is between or close to 60,000 to 80,000. - Thanks :)

If your first priority is gas milage, then your making a huge mistake buying a v6. If you want power and good milage, get a v4 with lots of horse power. I've never driven a v4 before, both cars I drove during my time were high powered v6's, and trust me, the gas milage is _bad_. One of my friends has a v4 that has lots of horse power, and the pick up is pretty good, so keep that in mind before you go taking eagles biased advice :p

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Hacktarux said:
It may be different in the US but i've had a bad experience with korean cars because it's nearly impossible to sell them... So if you buy one, you have to be sure you won't want to change it soon.

That is probably because aside from being just plain butt ugly, most of them run like shit.

Even those that just want an a-b car usually think "well, its cheap, it'll get from point a to b, but do I really want that eyesore peice-a-shit sitting in my driveway every evening?"

Last edited:

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
I'm actually thinking about getting myself a new (or newer) Hyundai Accent. I and everyone I know that has had any sort of Hyundai has been happy with it. My dad actually has a Hyundai Pony from 1984 that has never had any major work done on it. My grandma has a '96 Hyundai Elantra and she's been happy with that and it's worked well since she got it (she bought it used in '98).

Although if it ever broke down, my uncle is a mechanic and he would fix any car I have for cost of parts (and sometimes he doesn't even charge me for that). He's a super nice guy :)