What's new

new ati card

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
well i just bought a new graphics card or the first time in my life im replaceing my ati radeon xpress 200 with a ati radeon x550 its was £70 and i mast say thats a bargin casus i wanted the geforce 6600Gt first but that was £200 i only had £130 so i just bought the x550 ...

im wandering is the x550 alot better then the x200 or are they just the same

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
X550 is about as fast as a Radeon 9600 Pro, that is, if you got a card with a 128-bit memory bus.

Last edited:
OP
LinkTheHero

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
GCFreak chill man chill:matrix: and thanks cooliscool:batman: for the reply im quite pround to find out my card is faster then a 6200:bouncy: and also proud that the best zelda hacker replyed:king:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
That's some "I don't care" you got there GCFresk, I could sware you were jealous by that last post... if you've got anything to be jealous about, it should be the fact that I have 150% more ram than you and a much faster processor... woooooo!!

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
GCFreak said:
it may be faster, but it doesn't perform prettier. SM 3.0 vs PS 2.0? lol

That would be a valid point if A) the 6200 had nearly the balls to run a full-fledged SM3.0 game at a decent speed, and B) if SM3.0 made much difference in the first place.

OP
LinkTheHero

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
GCFreak said:
it may be faster, but it doesn't perform prettier. SM 3.0 vs PS 2.0? lol

yes it is faster thats all i need for it 2 be no slow down's in any game i hav just got prince of persia T2T its one of the best game's ive played so far.....

i dont care if my card only has ps 2.0 as long it does the job:pj64: then im happy with it:bouncy:

and ive only just overclocked it with trixx that came with my card and man what a diffress it makes to your pc fast as hell and its only 2ghz folders open stright away and games look so perfect with no slowdowns at all!!!!:bouncy:

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Your processor is 64bit which reflects a higher speed than the average 2ghz, your processor is probably comparable to my 3ghz P4 even. I also enjoy my rig to the max because I bought quality components - seriously, never buy cheap as you'll regret it. I Spent £900 over the course of 6 months to soup this baby up and its worth every penny. Where-as before i'd just buy a cheap thing and then scream at my PC because it didn't improve it one bit...

Last edited:

GCFreak

Listen, I don't have as much money to throw away on my PC as all you guys do, but I wish I do. Plus everywhere I look at, it's expensive. And if I could import from the US, I would but the prices for shipping would be huge. Some people just aren't as rich as you guys are.

OP
LinkTheHero

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
ScottJC said:
Your processor is 64bit which reflects a higher speed than the average 2ghz, your processor is probably comparable to my 3ghz P4 even. I also enjoy my rig to the max because I bought quality components - seriously, never buy cheap as you'll regret it. I Spent £900 over the course of 6 months to soup this baby up and its worth every penny. Where-as before i'd just buy a cheap thing and then scream at my PC because it didn't improve it one bit...

really i never new 64bit processors where that good.. my pc was £630 and it has been the best thing ever then i went to buy the x550 which was $70 so it makes it £700 not bad and wow wat a diffress it makes... well im getting £600 soon so i might get a faster 64 bit processor i might get the new ati x1800 but that would be a waste of money ill wait for the prices to go down.... hhhmmm a new rig anyone got a good site i can go to

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
It's not becuase the CPU supports 64-bit addressing that they're faster clock-for-clock than, say, a Pentium 4. If you're running a 32-bit OS and apps (you are) then 64-bit addressing does nothing for performance or capability.

It's due to the fact that the Pentium 4 has very long pipelines to allow such high clock speeds, while it takes longer to fill that many pipelines, you lose IPC (Instructions executed Per Clock). Throw in the on-die memory controller (64-bit on socket 754, 128-bit on socket 939) and stellar raw FPU performance of AMD's silicon and it's easy to compensate for the difference in clock speed. AMD's made a positive model with their performance rating based on performance rather than high clock speed. These days, when buying a CPU, never look at the fact that you get a 2.2GHz Athlon 64 CPU for the price of a ~3.xGHz Pentium 4. Look at the performance rating, it's pretty accurate with A64.

Not to say I don't love my P4. It's done everything I've thrown at it with absolute ease, and I wouldn't trade HT for the world (well, maybe a true dual-core CPU :p).

Last edited:

WhiteX

GCFreak said:
Listen, I don't have as much money to throw away on my PC as all you guys do, but I wish I do. Plus everywhere I look at, it's expensive. And if I could import from the US, I would but the prices for shipping would be huge. Some people just aren't as rich as you guys are.

Dude, I am Brazilian and i do not have money to throw away so stop bitching, no one is trying to shove money at your face, can you be happy and helpful for the guy.
If someone have a machine better that yours, you can be sure that someone made some sort of sacrifice to acquire that and if you care to visit our frappr you would see that we have almost as many users outside US than we have americans so they are importing too, some may be rich but most work for a living, OK. ;)

TerraPhantm

You shouldn't become so defensive just because someone has something better then you. There is always someone out there with something better then you, it just something you can't prevent. I know I wasted money on my computer, but my justification was that it will last longer.

As for the 64bit vs 32bit thing, as Cool said that doesn't make a difference (in a 32bit OS anyways) and Intel CPUs have 64bit instructions now.

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
GCFreak said:
I think he was just bugging you because of this statement
GCFreak said:
A 9600 pro? Is the X550 a crap card?

If you're so sensitive, stop being a jerk in the first place.