What's new

Network speed

Kahenraz

Ok, somebody please explain this to me.

Why is it that when I transfer files over my network, it only sends at ~850kbps instead of the 10mbit that my hub supports.

The network is routed with Cat5 cables and I am transfering data from an ATA100 7200rpm HDD to a ATA33 7200RPM HDD.

I believe that the ATA100 HDD is running off of an ATA33 controller, and I know that the ATA33 HDD is running off of an ATA100 controller. So the data rate for both should be about equat at ATA33/7200rpm read speed.

:bunny: :bunny:

Martin

Administrator
Do you have your bits and bytes straight? :) It only sends at about 100 KB/s then? That's worrying, horribly slow even. A 10 Mbit/s hub has a (in theory) max speed of 1.25 MB/s. Your slower harddrive and controller card both supports transfers of 33 MB/s (in theory) so if they're not damaged that can't be the bottleneck.

OP
Kahenraz

Kahenraz

Oops. Somehow I had it worked out in my head that there were 4bits/1byte.

The speed seems to have leveled off some (I'm transfering 20GB of backups recovered from a HDD with a corrupted MBR and partition table)
It's now transfering at ~985KBps - KiloBytes. My bad in the above post with the kbps.

7.9 Mbit is still a bit off from 10mbit, but I guess it would be wise to get a 10/100 hub eh?

Anyways, this is my hub. It was a great bargain when I bought it in 1999/2000 for $50.
http://www.madisonmountain.com/view.../Network_Everywhere_NH105_5-Port_10BaseT_Hub/

Edit:
And what is the difference between 10BaseT/10BaseT Full_Duplex and 100BaseTX/100BaseTX Full_Duplex?

Last edited:
I know one thing, your lucky if you get 85% (or more) of full speed from a network 99% of the time.
But that's just what I read on the net.

And last, I just want to know one thing, how many PC's are on your network?

Martin

Administrator
Yeah, that's what I thought. :p

7.9 Mbit/s throughput is pretty good for a 10 Mbit/s hub, but a 10 Mbit/s hub isn't very quick. My speed to the internet is also 10 Mbit/s. :martin64:

I would recommend grabbing a 10/100 hub.

I have a direct 10 Mbit/s connection to the internet through a 5-port 10/100 hub. The hub wasn't very expensive. You would want to get the 100BaseTX version (10/100), 10BaseTX is only 10 Mbit.

OP
Kahenraz

Kahenraz

I have 5 computers connected to the hub, including the server. But now al the hubs are either 4 or 8 ports. And there is a quite a difference in price too.

What about a 100TX Full_Duplex hub?

OP
Kahenraz

Kahenraz

What's the data rate of a standard IDE port?
And the bonus speed of a RAID controller?

Martin

Administrator
The speed will still be limited to your hub's max speed, since you're harddrives are much faster than your network. A standard IDE port of a modern computer can do 133 MB/s (ATA33) in theory.

"What about a 100TX Full_Duplex hub?"

Full duplex means it can send at 100Mbit/s in both directions (200 Mbit/s) simultaneously, half duplex can only send at 100 Mbit/s in total, both directions. I'm not sure where you're located, but I found these at ebuyer US:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=11885
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=49901

View the link below for all standalone hubs/switches at ebuyer:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3Byb2R1Y3Rz&subcat_uid=430

OP
Kahenraz

Kahenraz

Your results displayed monitors and laptop parts. But thanks anyways. I get turned off when I see the £ sign. I don't know the exchange rate and I automatically assume that there will be a high shipping fee to the east coast.

You've answered all my questions and have really given me some great info that I will be sure to take into consideration when I build my networks in the future. I'm working on getting a LinkSys 8port 10/100 hub asap. Thanks! :flowers:

Martin

Administrator
Okay so the links didn't work, but at least you found the site. :p

You're welcome. :)