What's new

Nestopia help

naples39

Hey everybody,

Was just wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I'm having with Nestopia 1.21. I've been using it for a while and things worked great. Now all of a sudden whenever I try to run it it runs super slow. I didn't change any settings or anything, but performance has gone from constant 60 fps, to like 4 or 5 fps. I've tried restarting my comp, redownloading the program, changing every setting I can find, and nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this? All other emulators seem to work just as they did before---it's only nestopia that's gone to hell.

smcd

It doesnt really help your problem if you like nestopia, but the wonderful thing about NES emulation is that there are a handful to play with - virtuanes, fceultra, nestopia, nester/nesterj/nnnesterj/uonester, nintendulator, jnes, nessie, ubernes (not tried this one but it looked interesting so i downloaded it)

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
Nestopia is my absolute favorite NES emulator. But the unusual thing about it is that it requires a fairly powerful machine to run it at full speed. I have NEVER seen it run properly on a Pentium II before and most other NES emus will run fine on it. Even my comp chokes on it too sometimes. Make sure that your CPU usage is low and that other "resource hogs" aren't running. for instance, if you are burning a CD/DVD and you try to run nestopia, it will run like crap.

OP
N

naples39

Yeah, looks like I'll have to switch emulators. Jnes, VirtuaNES and FCE Ultra all seem to run fine, so I'll just use those.

Nestopia does act strange sometimes--that is actually why I stopped using it until the new releases. Just kind of frustrating with the sudden crap-out on me. Come to think of it, I think the problems started when I tried to run it while having bit torrent run in the background. It understandably ran like crap then, but the strange thing is it never seemed to recover and continues to run as if there are still programs running in the background, even though they aren't anymore. :ermm:

OP
N

naples39

I haven't virus scanned, but I have run adaware and microsoft anti-spyware scans. Things seem to be fine.

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
btw, are you running in hardware or software mode? Hardware is much faster. Helped me solve some of my speed issues.