What's new

NDS: Elite Beat Agents

WhiteX

Elite Beat Agents

EBA is a rhythm based game set to "americanize"he DS japanese cult hit, Ouendan, it comes with very familiar songs, very fast and addictive gameplay and a very distinctive graphical style.

Presentation/graphics 8

The top screen shows the story of the game in a 2D fashion reminiscent of the likes of Phoenix Wright, while the bottom screen shows the playfield with the Agents dancing in full 3D glory on the background.

It is a good presentation, the 3D agents are superbly drawn and animated , while the story is given by very colorful and funny characters.

You get a little backstory before the mission starts and your commander, always eager to dispatch help, give you the "GO" to another personal cheerleading that the agents arrive to accomplish with style and flare.

You can skip the story sequences entirely, as my old lady did, but they are very crazy and funny, gotta love´em for such insane thoughts.

Music/sound effects 9

The sound effects for the little "explosions" each time you hit a marker are very fitting and add up to the song, only time i got confused was at the Christmas stage for they change to Holyday-like sounds.

The music is the bread and butter of a rhythm game and EBA delivers, most songs are very well known by the general audience and they are very good ones too, YMCA, Jumpin´jack flash and many others are part of the soundtrack of EBA.

The not so good is that they are not original versions, it bites me to know why but they are played by other folk, while the players are good and many of them do not fall for the trap of imitation, some do and it shows, while games like Tony Hawk and NFS-Carbon secured original soundtracks, Big-N decided to go "Under Cover", perhaps if EBA sells enough and a sequel comes out, we may see the songs on their original glory.

Gameplay 8

It consists of tapping numbers on the screen in the rhythm of the song played, it may seem easy sayed like that but the speed of the songs and the number of "ballons" to tap and slide and rotate, may be overwhelming.

EBA is not on the easy side and you will get yourself to listen to the songs you don´t know for a while before completing it´s stage.

Adding to not knowing the song as a motive to poor performance another one is your hands, you constantly place them obstructing the playfield and you get a lot of hand cramps, so small bursts of gameplay are advised.

DS factor 8

It uses both screens, full stylus gameplay, 3D engine, music instead of MIDI,
i say the DS was very well utilized on this one

Learning curve 5

It may take you and hour to get the rhythm and pace of the game but it can take forever to master the last songs and the other difficulties.

Lasting appeal/game modes 5

There are two unlockable difficulties both with new caracters but the songs remain the same.

Final considerations

A good and solid rhythm game with innovative and addictive gameplay with very good songs and whacky stories, a must buy.

Gallery

Last edited:
OP
WhiteX

WhiteX

Try listening to the songs in your every day and the rhythm will come to you.