What's new

N64 Sound Format

Clements

There is now an N64 sound format, so you can play N64 music in WinAMP and the tracks are tiny files.

Haley's Comet Software has done it again!

USF is a file format which contains all the data needed to play a song from an N64 game. Once the song has been ripped into a USF file you can load it up in a player (such as the 64th Note Winamp Plugin) and listen to the music.

For more info visit the Official USF site

http://www.dextrose.com/index.php?s=3&m=7&ng=&p=#n_958

Currently you can get Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings, but I'm sure more will come! :p

[I hope this hasn't already been posted somewhere, been busy!]

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Definately cool. Glad he got somewhere with it. :)

Edit: I had trouble getting it to work at first, but if you place the RSP.dll in the same directory as winamp.exe and place the in_* file in the plugin directory it will work correctly. I noticed there was no readme.txt or anything of the sort to let people know where to place the RSP.dll. :)

Last edited:

Gorxon

Administrator
Hmm...it won't show up in Winamp 5. I wonder what I might be doing wrong..

-edit-

Thanks Azimer, that did the trick for loading it :)

I get an error when I try to open a file though. It can't find the .usflib file even though its in the same folder as the songs...weird.

Last edited:

Reznor007

The usflib files have to be in the root directory apparently...that's the only way I could get it to work.

knowitman

I have been waiting for an N64 sound format to come out. Now they have it for practicly every system except GBA, NGC, and XBox. I love listening to these. You can tell the plugin and format is in its early stages. It sounds a bit different then it does on the emulator. I can't tell which one is right. I haven't played the games on the actual N64 in such a long time. I can't wait for more sound files to come out for more games. I do agree that Mario 64 and Pilotwings do have some of the best music for N64 though.

Thanks for showing me this thread Trotter. I tried this plugin a few weeks ago, but didn't realize you needed to put the rsp.dll in the Winamp directory.

Gorxon

Administrator
Reznor007 said:
The usflib files have to be in the root directory apparently...that's the only way I could get it to work.

Nah, I figured it out. Due to some bad coding(?), it looks for the .usflib file at the location the open dialog in winamp is set. This means that if you had opened an mp3 at C:\Music, then go to C:\N64 in explorer and launch a file there, it will look for .usflib file in C:\Music instead of C:\N64. The only way to make it work is to open the files within WinAmp.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Ahh... I just drag and drop files onto winamp. It must change its directory as well. :) I think it would be best if the file format had all of the songs inside of it and let you move to the song you wont with the track selection buttons. Though this would bother some people. The only other alternative would make each file be the size of the .usflib file. That would bother a lot of people too. hehe... lose lose situation?

Gorxon

Administrator
Azimer said:
I think it would be best if the file format had all of the songs inside of it and let you move to the song you wont with the track selection buttons. Though this would bother some people. The only other alternative would make each file be the size of the .usflib file. That would bother a lot of people too. hehe... lose lose situation?

I dont think its possible to load one file and select songs with the track buttons in winamp?

Anyways, the .sid format (C64) has all songs within one file, and I think all plugins use an extra bar with track number and forward/back buttons.
However, if you have ever tried the .psf format you'll notice that the main psf file (like .usflib) can be in the same dir and you can load the songs from explorer. That means WinAmp support such a thing, and it's this plugin which isn't "coded properly". Also, having all files seperate makes room for playlists and such...

Poobah

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but has anyone actually managed to create any USF soundtracks? I've tried all the stuff said in the readme.txt file, but it's very brief and I usually get errors and stuff.

ggab

Emutalk Member
10/10/04: 64th Note v0.06 is out
A new version of 64th Note is ready for you...
New features:
* Count Exception returns! (needed for Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, and other soon-to-be-released sets)
* Spiffy logo
* Stereo channels are no longer reversed
* Volume control: overall and individual USFs
* slight modification to sample rate calculation
* Longer silence detection default so Majora's Mask - Staff Roll doesn't stop before the end

http://hcs.freeshell.org/usf.html

Poobah

Uh...rather than telling me that there's a new version of 64th note (which I already have anyway) would someone be able to explain the process or ripping music from roms using HCS's utilities?

Poobah

I emailed HCS and he explained that the utilities he's provided are for use with ROM files you've created by isolating the music code. So I guess no-one'll ever be able to easily rip N64 audio. :(

FloW3184

Emu_and_Mobile_Freak
Oh man.... I love extreme-g and want the music!
is there a way to find the music in the rom?
does anyone know the code it starts with?
and the code it ends? so i can extract it by myself with an hex editor... or do i have to wait until hcs had done it?

Poobah

Just use a plugin to dump it to a wave file. That's the only way you'll ever get it without knowing MIPS assembly.

ggab

Emutalk Member
Nintendo 64 USF Archive, 4 New Soundtracks:

* Wonder Project J2
* Space Station Silicon Valley
* Beetle Adventure Racing
* Star Fox 64

-----------------------------------
http://hcs.freeshell.org/usf.html
-----------------------------------

PS: preliminary rip complete

Perfect Dark :D , 118 Tracks
Banjo Kazooie
Castlevania 64, 106 Tracks
Bust-A-Move '99
Castlevania 64 - Legacy of Darkness
Glover
Rayman 2

Great work! hcs & someone42 & zoopd & Parasyte :)