What's new

N64 Games - Kiosk versions ?! WTF ?

-Shadow-

Banned
I've recently got a so called "kiosk" version of Donkey Kong 64 . And I find it very odd , i see only a Intro ans the spinning rare logo , there seems to be no crash or something o_O

Does anybody know what these versions are about ? I mean , a 24MB rom , just an Intro ?

I mean , are there any tweaks or something to get 'em working ? I searched the forum , but there were no clear answers...

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
These versions are something like demos, they are ripped versions of the games they represent. I don't know anything else since I did never have any kiosk version.

OP
-Shadow-

-Shadow-

Banned
Hmmm... Donkey kong - Kiosk runs better with Project64 ;)

Yeah , and it was >very< , very , very hard to get it ;)

Hmmm... that's really a demo , but it runs very well ! If da real DK 64 would run like this... :p

sheik124

Emutalk Member
a Kiosk version probably means some genius managed to rip an N64 image from one of the many iQue kiosks in hong kong, if you don't know what iQue is, read about it at Lik-Sang

Quvack

sheik124 said:
a Kiosk version probably means some genius managed to rip an N64 image from one of the many iQue kiosks in hong kong, if you don't know what iQue is, read about it at Lik-Sang

no. a Kiosk one is usually a demo from some place like K-Mart or a video games store when it comes to N64 stuff, well Walmart in america aswell I spose. Usually have lots of betaish stuff locked away too :D

A dump of those iQue n64 images would be nice to look in :)

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
I don't know about rarity; I have it for a start, although admittedly it would seem a little less common than other ROMs.

In any case no, that ROM has been around a while, ie. pre-iQue. My guess is that it was perhaps some promo they used at something like E3 originally, but... not sure.

In any case, I see no point in using it over the standard (E) or (U) DK64.

EDIT: Looks like I've been beaten to it.

Stezo2k

S-2K
well i haven't noticed any difference between excite bike 64 and the kiosk version to be honest, but i haven't really played it much since nemu 0.7 was popular

knowitman

My cousin's mom works at Wal-Mart. They gave her the kiosk verions of DK64. My friend has it and the full game. It is pretty neat. It has 3 playable boss levels.

OP
-Shadow-

-Shadow-

Banned
TheBench said:
Someone find other games!

I think , i got all known (in good n64) Kiosk versions of n64 games , here ya go , got :

Pokemon Stadium - Kiosk : Seems to be a full version , it has got mini-games , transfer pak support , gym leader castle . maybe its a late preview version for the E3 ?!

Donkey Kong - Kiosk : Runs only on project 64 properly , and you need a few tries o_O as already said , it got 3 boss levels .

Excitebike 64 - kiosk : It's a previev version , it stands on the start screen ;) Very playable , though !

Jet force Gemini - Kiosk : Looks very nice , i don't know how much levels it has , it has 4 MB less than the normal versions of that game...

Turok 2 - Kiosk : There are 3 selectable levels in this version , via a menu .

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
H3ad5h0tter said:
I think , i got all known (in good n64) Kiosk versions of n64 games , here ya go , got :

Pokemon Stadium - Kiosk : Seems to be a full version , it has got mini-games , transfer pak support , gym leader castle . maybe its a late preview version for the E3 ?!

Donkey Kong - Kiosk : Runs only on project 64 properly , and you need a few tries o_O as already said , it got 3 boss levels .

Excitebike 64 - kiosk : It's a previev version , it stands on the start screen ;) Very playable , though !

Jet force Gemini - Kiosk : Looks very nice , i don't know how much levels it has , it has 4 MB less than the normal versions of that game...

Turok 2 - Kiosk : There are 3 selectable levels in this version , via a menu .
Very interesting... didn't know about that... that means kiosk=special betas.
I only own the excitebike one and didn't recognized any differences, like H3ad5h0tter said.
BTW@H3ad5h0tter: why you changed your avatar? It looks bad, very bad... :p

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
H3ad5h0tter said:
I already got a new one , you're right , the other one really sucks ;)
Do you know that we make some off topic... some would it call :spam:!
BTW: a cool new banner you have in your sign... *lol*
But... let us stop the offtopic, because the new avatar is kicking! Gigi... *g*