What's new

My PC in aluminium suitcase project

Gorxon

Administrator
Hi,

some of you might have seen the pic I posted of a weird PC in the N64 Adaptoid contest, and by demand ;) , I'll tell you all a little bit about how I made it. I don't have any pictures while I was making it, and as I still don't have a digicam, pics taken with my mobile will do for now :blink: . The reason I made it was to use it as a sampler/module for synth while playing at concerts and stuff...

As for parts I used an ASUS miniatx mainboard with nForce chipset. I could probably just have fit a normal atx in it, but it would be very litle space left, so I went for a mini-ATX. To fasten the mainboard I drilled 4 holes in the case, and bought 4 insanely long bolts to put there (the reason for the length was tthat I planned on putting something on top, but I never cared to finish it...). To raise the mainboard from the soft stuff that the case is filled with inside,
I used a thin aluminum plate (dunno the exact english word..), which I put below the mainboard. To raise the mainboard from that plate(?) I used 2-3 hex nuts on top of eachother. The result looked like this:

Bilde(29).jpg

Bilde(30).jpg

Getting the power supply fastened was a bigger issue...I had to open the supply and make 6 holes, two in the front (where you plug in the cable), two on the right side and finally two on the left side for the livedrive. I made holes accordingly on the case.

Bilde(35).jpg

Bilde(32).jpg

The problem was to fit it, which was kinda hard since all the boltheads had to be inside the PSU or else I couldnt fasten it with hex nuts. Also you can see I have a LiveDrive in it (together with a Creative Live! card, using kx drivers for ASIO support :) ). So I had to get the bolts get into the case in front and right + making the bolts go into my livedrive. Though job, but it worked out well. The worst part was to get the holes to match eachother, and I did some mistakes now and then...but often you get the chance to correct it so you dont have to buy a new suitcase.

I had to make 4 holes in the LiveDrive, two on each side. On the right side (see pic below) I fastened it with two bolts to the PSU. On the left side I fastened it to the case. I also put two bolts below it (through the case from below) and made them so long that they barely pushed the LD up a bit. I did this for support.

Bilde(33).jpg

LD to case

Bilde(34).jpg

LD to PSU

I had problems finding space for the HD, but I decided to put it in the top. I had to find something that I could attach the HD to, so I found a part from an old case. This part I mounted on the top of the case, and it supports up to two HDs.

Bilde(31).jpg

Thats about it, if you're wondering about anything just ask. I bet you don't understand half of what I've said as my english isn't too good (especially not when talking about tools, bolts and such ;) ). Just take note that this certainly not replace a laptop, as it's quite heavy (and of course have no screen). But for my use it works very well, and I use remote desktop to connect to it and configure it.

Bilde(36).jpg

Bilde(27).jpg

Last edited:

Remote

I don't get it, it's a pc in a suitcase... :p

Looks nice btw but perhaps you should have a round hole for the cpu fan inhaust with a nice chrome grill or similar :D

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Thanks Gorxon :) I'll get round to giving this ago once I finish high school (only a few weeks left :p)

OP
Gorxon

Gorxon

Administrator
Stezo2k said:
heh thats realy nice mate :)

what about ventilation mate? that could be a problem

If you look at the second pic from bottom you see that i have cut a hole in the case (just above the CPU fan). I didn't find a matching grill though, nor would I have put it on as I usually have a network cable going out from there (and vga, keyboard, mouse too when I use that on it...shich rarely happens). The temperature is lower than on my desktop computer, so it performs pretty well...

Raging Fuel:

Thanks for you interest, but before you start you better consider to think about what you really need it for (what do you need it for btw? :p). The cutting is much harder to do than it looks like (as usual), and since my cutting machine (dunno what it would be called in english) blew up while I was working on it I actually used handsaw on most of the holes (!). Just be sure to plan well, and dont make any holes larger than they need to be. Rather a little little bit smaller and then you can use a...what is it called again...you know what i mean :D

Also, outputs is quite a problem if you plan on using it as a normal computer. One solution is to do as I do normally, just put the cables down the venting hole, and then connect them. Making it so that the outputs stick thru the case would be near impossible I think...
Also, on the sides of the case you can see those little brighter shining "sticks", which was in the way quite a lot too...its all about those little things you didnt think about but which suddenly become a problem.