What's new

My Computer VS Nintendo GameCube.

raksmey1309

I still wonder 1 thing.
My Cpu is 1.8Ghz.
GameCube Cpu only 485Mhz.
I think it is fast enough to emulate GameCube.
Why it is slow?
Because of Buggy Code?
Or incomplete emulator?
or sthelse.....?
Thanks U very much.

DOGG

mhz doesnt mean anything. it's the architecture of the cpu which counts. the emulator is really slow because it takes a lot of power to emulate such a powerful system. And the code isn't optimised. Also consider that you don't emulate only the CPU, you emulate the whole system including graphics and sound.

punisher001

Everyone gets what he deserves
l was always wondering this! i still wonder! If we cant achieve good speeds for gamecube imagine a PS3 emulator! 0.3 fps! I hope 64 bit and dual core to help emu scene!

Branz_mf

No way!!! Pc is not losing for gamecube, but to emulate a console from now and on it'll need more power.
And that doesn't mean Pc is lacking in hardware.

Last edited:

Federelli

Beta Tester
You are comparing X86 arquitecture, which is as dated as hell, versus what was the top of the top in console prossesor arqh.

Knuckles

it's not easy to emulate Gekko PowerPC CPU instructions over a x86 type CPU. those are using different "ways" to execute them.... and I think it was already talked about in another thread...

bcrew1375

We haven't even got a fully working PS2 emulator yet, and you guys are already worrying about a PS3 one!? Geez :p.

BBS

Hi,
maybe, it is possible to emulate game cube on a modern pc with a good speed, because the programmers want to write an emulator to support all technical specs. See UltraHLE, it runs on a pentium 166 with a 3dfx card. Why not running a gc on a 1ghz?

Branz_mf

ssshh..... needs much more than just a cpu running at 1ghz to emulate a gc console properly. (New techniques, the fastest processor in the world, a good video card and etc).

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Lol... here is why:
-Like every one said, x86 arcitecture is much different than the ppc blah blah blah
-Your computer is also running an OS in the background, which uses a lot.
-Dolphin is incomplete and somewhat buggy.
-The emulator is new, GCN is fairly unexplored territory. The emulator isn't optimized to run fast.
-Everything else is being emulated, not just the cpu - the gpu, audio, memory, dvd, etc

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Branz_mf said:
ssshh..... needs much more than just a cpu running at 1ghz to emulate a gc console properly. (New techniques, the fastest processor in the world, a good video card and etc).
You must also keep in mind that both Corn and uHLE used hacks, much like cxbx to run at such speed. Dolphin afaik, does not. And then it is as said, that the processor pretty much has to do everything since the PC hardware cannot do what the console hardware does.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
How may bits is the gamecubes cpu on? 64bits, 128bits? If it's 64bit would it be like a 970MHz 32bit cpu, if it's 128bit would it be like a 1940Mhz 32bit cpu

Allnatural

arnalion said:
How may bits is the gamecubes cpu on? 64bits, 128bits? If it's 64bit would it be like a 970MHz 32bit cpu, if it's 128bit would it be like a 1940Mhz 32bit cpu
Your "math" makes no sense. Apples and oranges...

Federelli

Beta Tester
Besides Dolphin is an amazing emulator, to achieve the state it is on, only after less than than 5 releases, and in so little time. It's as good as it gets today.

I can't even begin to think what the next release will show us :D.