What's new

Must... own... Mac Mini!

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Not usually one to be suckered by Apple but damn if that isn't a neat little PC.
As long as I can use Garageband on one of those I'm buying.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I dunno, 500 bucks for a word processor is pretty steep :p

Nah, actually that is pretty cool, I wouldn't mind having one for a few choice mac titles that are out there.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
must... resist ability.. to point.. and laugh... can't...

haw haw!

Seriously it looks ok though, if you want one get one.

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
For something that'll provide me with the quality of audio recording ability that Garageband will, £339 seems more than fair. Already have spare monitor(s), keyboard, mouse, old 2.1 speakers and USB2 hub, and I've found nothing that can compete with the virtual amps in it for "real-amp-sounding" guitar recording. Heck most Windows-based solutions come with price tags higher than the cost of one of those. ;)
http://www.apple.com/uk/macmini/

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
It scares me that a relatively acceptably-specced Mac (though sadly needing a USB hub so I can add audio in sockets) can look that nicely styled and be that small. I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but we're talking GameCube sized here. Plus cheap.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
"Mac mini sports a full-fledged ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB dedicated DDR SDRAM over an AGP 4x bus." Hmm.. I'm already put off... lets see... I have a radeon x800 pro and mac mini has a radeon 9200.. yeah... screw that.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
too small, ugly, send it back =P. it has the same ugly 2-sided rounded corners of the ipod mini... i hate it. is it really that hard to round the corners on all 3 sides a la iPod big?

Stalkid64 said:
(though sadly needing a USB hub so I can add audio in sockets)
you lost me there... there are audio cables that connect to USB now?

seriously, lack of audio/mic in isn't so great, but S-Video out port at LEAST should be mandatory for something meant to be portable. otherwise it could be pretty good. if they added an inch of height in exchange for better graphics and those missing ports (and nicer corners), it'd be sweet.

Last edited:

Martin

Administrator
zAlbee said:
too small, ugly, send it back =P. it has the same ugly 2-sided rounded corners of the ipod mini... i hate it. is it really that hard to round the corners on all 3 sides a la iPod big?

you lost me there... there are audio cables that connect to USB now?

seriously, lack of audio/mic in isn't so great, but S-Video out port at LEAST should be mandatory for something meant to be portable. otherwise it could be pretty good. if they added an inch of height in exchange for better graphics and those missing ports (and nicer corners), it'd be sweet.
You have no sense of style. :p

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
There are USB2 audio solutions for the Mac and PC, yes. As for the graphical capabilities well it isn't like it'll be used for games any time soon being a Mac anyway, and you really can't directly compare the spec to a PC in any meaningful way. Outside of gaming, just about anything will do for average use. To make the point I was recently forced to use a TNT2 card for day-to-day use under Windows XP. Surprisingly the card proved more than adequate for average uses - and no, no resolution drops or effects tweaks were needed, feeling mostly no different to any card I've had since. The 3D card only really becomes important for gaming, so the card used in the Mac is largely irrelevant and will likely be more than good enough for desktop use. Besides, for the excellent audio recording solution it'll provide me with it seems more than worth a measly £339.

tkf

But it's still ugly and as a matter of fact looks gay (not that there's anything wrong with that ;) ).

:ph34r:

blizz

I'll be in the market for a new box come the summer and this looks to be ideal with the superdrive upgrade.