What's new

Mupen64Plus Icons

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
It has been mentioned that there are no good icons for Mupen64Plus, So I've decided to make a couple prototype icons (As you'll notice, the quality of the full version is somewhat poor, in relative terms. I can fix it yes, but I just wanted a quick opinion.)

Both are 512x512 in full. The previews are at 128x128, 64x64, and 32x32.

289l8xt.jpg
30wb974.jpg
24fdz07.jpg

[Full]
Seems to scale better than the other, but doesn't look as good closer up.

1z5t6wz.jpg
2h6ejrp.jpg
2d2d6f.jpg

[Full]
A lot more going on in this one, and it looks better at high resolutions, but it has legibility trouble at lower resolutions.

I'd like some feedback if anyone has any. As well, I'd like to see others' icons. Note that I'm in no position to select icons to use in Mupen64Plus, so this is just a place to collect them up I suppose.

Do be aware that we can have different icons for any size, of course to solve readability issues (the lower resolutions should be drawn somewhere near pixel by pixel.) but I have chosen not to, because again, these are very quickly done icons.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
Oh if only Blacklord were still around! :D [/sarcasm]

I can't say I really like them too much. (No offense intended; it's just my opinion and I probably couldn't do any better.) My suggestion would be to use very few unique colors - like maybe 2 or 3.

You might look through the old PJ64 logo discussion if you're looking for artists. There were many good (and many not-so-good) submissions from a variety of different members - some of whom would probably do something similar for Mupen64Plus.

OP
N

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Hmm, I can see a couple differences in style that i could go for but since it's all logo it's hard to say. Anyways, I don't blame you for not liking them, and don't take offense. I didn't try very hard, I was trying to fuel discussion and ideas into this. I don't know for sure but these icons probably fit the least strangely on Mac OS X because I started at 512x512 and so many of the details are only visible at higher resolutions (I started there so my sloppiness would be less noticeable in the smaller versions)

I can already see a lot wrong with these icons, but I'll try some more later on. For now, I have a lot to do.

Oh and reading Blacklords posts... Do you ever get the feeling that every blatant idiot you see on a forum is the same as the blatant idiot on the other forums you browse?

OP
N

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I've been thinking about doing some 3D renders of the Mupen "M" logo and just hand drawing the 16x16 icon. What is the opinion about that?

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
I'm no gfx guru but Bleh, at least I tried :

It's not bad I guess, hardly a Picasso mind :p

Last edited:
OP
N

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
It's pretty good for it's simplicity. I'd do borders around the text and add a plus somewhere, but as you can see, I'm not so good an artist myself.

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Just added the "+" to it :p (see previous post)

Can't believe I forgot that, *Hangs head in shame* :p

Surkow

For really low icon resolutions I prefer something more readable. Something in this direction:

bla2ur2.png

This is just a suggestion and by no means an icon that should be used.

Last edited:

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I made this icon, nothing fancy, simple, 2 colors... It's original size is like 384x384

32x32:

spu5vk.png

64x64:

20gntcw.png

128x128:

33xcyer.png

Edit: The scaled down version doesn't look that great, and it seems my Photoshop just quit working on Wine... oops :(

Last edited:

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I'm glad someone brought this up, I always wondered why we didn't just use the Mupen64 icon. Maybe overlay a plus?
mupen64_icon.png

Any thoughts?

Also... somewhat related. Issue 93 on the google code site, to use Gnome icon themes. Anybody here know the best way to hook into them? I found at least two ways and tried them in the rcs branch.

The first uses the default theme, then queries for the icon by its LSB name. So our play icon would be "media-playback-start." This works, but only for Gnome users, as the user needs to have either the base 30MB Gnome icon set installed or a custom icon set. The gtk-qt theme engine doesn't pick these up, so for KDE users the icons default to shipped.

The second uses the new_from_stock routines, and gets icons directly from Gtk. I'm not 100% about theme compatibility, but the upsides are that no icon set need be installed and the gtk-qt theme engine can replace these, it can't for the others. The downside is that in large icon mode, the icon quality is much worse even with an icon theme installed.

I'm leaning towards the first method since most people using the Gtk GUI are Gnome / Xfce users and have the icon set. This is because it allows for higher quality icons, and the gtk-qt theme engine can't replace all the icons, which results in a weird mix of gtk and KDE icons.

In my perfect world, we'd go one set further and try to load the default icons from a KDE3 theme if the Gnome iconset search failed before going to shipped.

Anyway... I'd like some feedback before coming up with a solution and trying it on trunk.

Surkow

I'm glad someone brought this up, I always wondered why we didn't just use the Mupen64 icon. Maybe overlay a plus?
mupen64_icon.png

Any thoughts?

If it's public domain or licensed under some CC license that allows editing and reusage we could just overlay a plus.

It would be great to let Mupen use the current Gnome icon theme because the KDE icons don't look that good in Gnome.

Last edited:

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Has anyone e-mailed Hacktarux about this? I'm not 100% if its his icon or not, but he'd know the license and we could go from there.