What's new

Mupen64Plus 1.99.4 tagged and released!

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I have tagged and released Mupen64Plus version 1.99.4. This release is dedicated to those of you who don't compile from source. It's been many months since the last release, and though there haven't been many major changes, there have been a bunch of little fixes piling up. I decided to roll them all up and make official binary releases to help you out. I'm still only distributing the command-line user interface, but there are several different GUI front-ends which are maturing (Auria's WxMupen64Plus: http://bitbucket.org/auria/wxmupen64plus). 2011 will be the year of Mupen64Plus 2.0.

Some of the highlights of the 1.99.4 release are:

• Lots of bugfixes in all the modules
  • Input plugin: new deadzone parameter for mapping an analog joystick axis to an N64 button
  • Input plugin: many new joystick auto-configurations
  • RSP Plugin: fully big-endian compliant, thanks to mupen64gc project
  • UI-Console front-end: new cheat file format from spinout182
  • Rice Video: new features from Narann: mipmapping, trilinear filtering, anisotropic filtering, anti-aliasing
  • Lots of makefiles fixes and improvements from Lazhur

Quick start (Linux)
The easiest way to start running and testing this release is to download a binary bundle package from the Google Code site (link below), unzip it into a directory, and run it with this command: "./mupen64plus m64p_test_rom.v64". You can run it directly from this directory, or to install it to your system, simply do "sudo ./install.sh". Likewise, to un-install it, "sudo ./uninstall.sh"

Quick start (Windows)
For Windows users, download the bundle-win32 zip file from the Google Code site (link below) and unzip it to a directory. Bust out your DOS prompt (Start->Run->cmd.exe or the "Command Prompt" in Start->Accessories). Once you have the command-line window, 'cd' to the directory where you unzipped the win32 bundle. Then run "mupen64plus-ui-console.exe mupen64plus.v64" to start up the test ROM. Press Escape to exit. Use the '--help' command-line option to get a list of all available options. The last argument is always taken to be a path to an uncompressed N64 ROM image to run. Sorry but there is currently no Windows installer available.

Upgrading from previous 1.99.x releases
Some the configuration parameters may have changed, so if you are upgrading from a previous 1.99.x release, you should delete your config file (located at ~/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg).

To download Mupen64Plus v1.99.4, just grab the package that you want:

mupen64plus-bundle-linux32-1.99.4.tar.gz
mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-1.99.4.tar.gz
mupen64plus-bundle-osx-1.99.4.zip
mupen64plus-bundle-win32-1.99.4.zip
mupen64plus-bundle-src-1.99.4.tar.gz

The MD5 sums for these packages are:

e111d899955ba5462e39b5a788d2c1c9 mupen64plus-bundle-linux32-1.99.4.tar.gz
6381b741460240145d5e72506d4d5c45 mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-1.99.4.tar.gz
79c95d76d66a1711466682054fb07310 mupen64plus-bundle-osx-1.99.4.zip
81c4f11c341d7ea4dbd81cf2f0467dc2 mupen64plus-bundle-src-1.99.4.tar.gz
0a756d87c522aeaf4698d90b90e17996 mupen64plus-bundle-win32-1.99.4.zip

Mupen64Plus has a Home Page over at Google Code, with lots of useful information, screenshots, a bug tracker, a discussion forum, etc. The new Mupen64Plus API is documented at http://emuwiki.com/index.php?title=Project:Mupen64Plus.

franpa

Any frontends with a input configuration section yet? It's the only thing that stopped me switching from Project64. I don't want auto configuration as that prevents me from setting it up the way I want it.

I use Windows.

edit: The main website http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/ doesn't mention the new build under "Releases" and the detailed changelog only lists up to the last version.

The wiki's 3rd party front ends section http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins has a link for MupenGUI C# however the link takes you to a post discussing the GUI and not the post containing the latest download links.

Anyways, thank you for the continued support of this emulator.

Last edited:

cchhrriiss

I'm having trouble using this new version (64bit linux):
Code:
chris@crunchbang:~/documents/nintendo/mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-1.99.4$ mupen64plus m64p_test_rom.v64 
 __  __                         __   _  _   ____  _             
|  \/  |_   _ _ __   ___ _ __  / /_ | || | |  _ \| |_   _ ___ 
| |\/| | | | | '_ \ / _ \ '_ \| '_ \| || |_| |_) | | | | / __|  
| |  | | |_| | |_) |  __/ | | | (_) |__   _|  __/| | |_| \__ \  
|_|  |_|\__,_| .__/ \___|_| |_|\___/   |_| |_|   |_|\__,_|___/  
             |_|         http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/  
Mupen64Plus Console User-Interface Version 1.99.4

dlopen('./libmupen64plus.so.2') error: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
AttachCoreLib() Error: failed to find Mupen64Plus Core library
Someone on this google code page reports the same message:
http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/UIConsoleUsage
Maybe a bug? The installation went fine.

Ubuntunooblet

Greetings

I am using the latest Ubuntu, 10.10, I believe.

I am new to this, and have no true understanding of installing or using programs that are not from synaptic package, it is quite different from windows, but I think Ubuntu is awesome :D
Anyways, I downloaded this, it doesn't work, I extracted it into a folder, and I typed in the command, the instructions say it can be run straight from this folder.
However.

dlopen('./libmupen64plus.so.2') error: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
AttachCoreLib() Error: failed to find Mupen64Plus Core library

I get this error.
What does it mean, how do I fix it.
I want to checkout this emulator, the older, repository version ran super-slow.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Ubuntunooblet, the reason for this error is that I built the binary packages for Mupen64Plus 1.99.4 on my Gentoo machine, which apparently uses a newer version of libPNG (1.4) than what is present in Ubuntu. I can re-build on an Ubuntu machine instead and put together a new binary package for you. Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Ubuntunooblet, the reason for this error is that I built the binary packages for Mupen64Plus 1.99.4 on my Gentoo machine, which apparently uses a newer version of libPNG (1.4) than what is present in Ubuntu. I can re-build on an Ubuntu machine instead and put together a new binary package for you. Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Richard, how friggin cool are you? LOL! I can't say I know of any other author myself whom would take the time to go out of your way to make a build specifically for one user (though others may well reap benefits from it too). that is great.

btw, using on OS X (10.6.5) here and it's great. The frontend I'm using is good but could use some updating so I can't wait for another version of that or some other from anyone out there. otherwise a wonderful experience. ;)

thanks

graingert

@Richard42, while you've got ubuntu booted it would be super neat to have a debian package >.>

and amazingly awesome to have a ppa, repository for automatic updates...

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Thanks for the props LazerTag. It's actually pretty easy to build the packages. There's a script included in the core source code for automating it; the latest is here:

https://bitbucket.org/richard42/mupen64plus-core/src/03bb86f6c89b/tools/build_bundle_bin.sh

After installing all the necessary development libraries, all I had to do was:

./build_bundle_bin.sh 1.99.4 linux64-1.99.4-ubuntu
./build_bundle_bin.sh 1.99.4 linux32-1.99.4-ubuntu BITS=32

I have the 2 new packages built on ubuntu 9.10, with libpng 1.2.37. I'll try to upload them here to emutalk; if that doesn't work I'll find some other place.

edit: okay, I have uploaded the new binary packages to the Google Code download page. Note they're not featured (on the front page), so you have to go to the download page.

Last edited:

Ubuntunooblet

32 bit Ubuntu.

Are you sure that's not too much trouble?
You rock! lol

EDIT:

It's working now, but it just has an Opengl Rice window saying Mupen64.
Kindo f low framerate, too.
Interesting.
I hope I'll figure out how to us eit now :D

Last edited:

graingert

Sweet, I'll just try that ppa out..

It would be better if that was more prominent on the google code repository.

cyrilf

Hello, I ve been stucked for a month trying to run this version after spending a lot of time trying to install it on my (too ?) old machine (see description in the end of this post):
a > installed Linux bin version: couldn't find right libpng or libstdc++ version. Tried to install new lib versions, but still issues. Tried to uninstall lib package > damaged OS install > Had to reinstall OS...
b > compiled Source package and now when trying to run it, I get following message:
'PC-Cyril:/~/N64_ROMS
cyril:$ mupen64plus 'Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [!].z64'
__ __ __ _ _ ____ _
| \/ |_ _ _ __ ___ _ __ / /_ | || | | _ \| |_ _ ___
| |\/| | | | | '_ \ / _ \ '_ \| '_ \| || |_| |_) | | | | / __|
| | | | |_| | |_) | __/ | | | (_) |__ _| __/| | |_| \__ \
|_| |_|\__,_| .__/ \___|_| |_|\___/ |_| |_| |_|\__,_|___/
|_| http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/
Mupen64Plus Console User-Interface Version 1.99.4

UI-console: attached to core library 'Mupen64Plus Core' version 1.99.4
Includes support for Dynamic Recompiler.
Illegal instruction'

I saw on some post that this would mean my CPU is not able to run some instruction. Though I could run Project64 on same machine under Windows 98 in the past.
Shall I give up with using Mupen64Plus on this machine ?

Thanks for your feedback !

CyrilF

CYRILF MACHINE
-Computer-
Processor : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
Memory : 185MB (126MB used)
Operating System : Vector Linux 6.0 Standard Final Built on Feb-16-0

-Display-
Resolution : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Rage 128 20051027 AGP 1x x86/MMX/3DNow!
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : EMU10K1 - SB Live! Platinum [CT4760P]

Ari64

It should be possible to compile without SSE, but you'll have to edit the makefile. Dunno about that Rage 128 though. And 185MB RAM?

I've gotten Mupen64Plus to run on some low-end hardware, but I never expected anyone would try something quite that old. When I rewrote the dynamic recompiler, I used SSE for some of the floating-point code. There is a non-sse fallback, but it's not easy to enable it. Does anyone else care about old non-sse processors?

cyrilf

Ok, thanks for your feedback. I will try something from your answer and post again if fortunately it works... But I will more likely conclude I shouldn t try install too recent apps or release on too old machines !