What's new

Mupen64K > All?

GE Master

I post this question here for one reason. Online gameplay. Personally this feat has changed how I look at N64 emulation. I'm just not sure if this release is getting the fanfare it deserves. The N64 emu scene has been relatively quiet, if not very quiet. To me, I've noticed a substantial drop in new posts on these forums.

I mean, how many people know about Mupen64K? It plays GoldenEye online flawlessly. No release from anyone has done that. Excitebike, Conkers, and now it looks like Perfect Dark can even be played on it without desynch. Those are just the games I've tried, and I have no idea about all the others. I am talking about a flawless online experience! I live West Coast and I was playing somebody in the UK in Perfect Dark. No desynch and virtually no slowdowns. I'm just saying that from my perspective, right now, it doesn't get any better for N64 emulation. I just had to say it here because I'm doubtful that the word is really out. Which leads me to wonder, how many people care about playing N64 games anymore. The fact is if you were good or thought you were good at some of these amazing games, then meet me online. See if you can beat me at Excitebike. Oh yes, you will need Mupen64K to do that. The new sheriff in town.

I'm not slagging anyone and I'm grateful for every piece and component that the developers have come up with. I have nothing to play without you guys. Having said that, online play is the only thing that matters for N64 emulation at this stage. If you don't believe me, then try some online multiplayer (flawless) and then tell me what is more important. Playing Zelda 100 times over? Games all look great now, and for the most part play great via N64 emulation. It's interesting that out of nowhere a nothing emu in Mupen (I say that only in comparison to pj64) comes in and blows the freakin doors off. It's great. I always like cheering for the underdog.

Last edited:

Ma Chao

Proud Warrior
Well, I was never able to try it myself, everyone around here still uses Pj64k, since it's "too hard" to configure and some seem to believe it's not a real emulator or it's that better than Pj64k, or it's a virus (go figures...), and also my ping is way too high in servers from other countries. I was looking foward to play PD on kaillera...

OP
GE Master

GE Master

One reply for 130 views. Not sure what that is saying. Perhaps my my take that with the slowdown on these forums, that the thirst for N64 emulation isn't there.

But based on the lack of discussion, it leads me to a conclusion.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

OP
GE Master

GE Master

Well I guess that's my point. Where are the other developers and why haven't they commented on this achievement?? I question that honestly. I would think that having solid online gameplay might stir up some more interest, but I was wrong it seems. Yes, PJ64k is SSB online granted. Beyond that, you can't touch Mupen64K.

phzi

Mupen64k has taken a great emulator which was original built for *nix, and turned it into Windows-only crap. I never run Windows, so I'm stuck using Mupen64.

mudlord

Banned
Mupen64k has taken a great emulator which was original built for *nix, and turned it into Windows-only crap

I'm curious now, why do you believe its "Windows-only crap". Is this prejudice because its not running on everyone's favourite OS which is worshiped to death by the FSF's GNU zealots??

Seriously, this is why I hate Linux so much, I can't stand the GPL or the loads of fanboyism and zealotry attached to it. =]

Plus, you could use Wine to use it anyway......if you really felt the need, in the meantime......

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
Seriously, this is why I hate Linux so much, I can't stand the GPL or the loads of fanboyism and zealotry attached to it. =]
IF U CANT STAND LINUX UR DUMB AND NOT KOOL CUZ WINDOWZ IS STOOPID AND ONLY SMART PPL USE LINUX! THATS Y WE CAN DEFEND LINUX SO GOOD AND YOU CANT DEFEND WNIDOZ!!! SEE I JUST GAVE U TRHEE REESONS WHY LINUX IS BETER THAN WINDOZ AND YOU CANT EVEN COEM UP WITH 1 WHY WINODZ IS BETTER THEN LINUX!

Sorry, couldn't resist. But seriously, everybody knows Linux is the best. :p

mudlord

Banned

Hehehe, that actually made me laugh. But you really pointed out well what I dislike about Linux: and that is the licensing and the fanaticism some people have to it (like the whole open-source crusade some people go on to make everything "free").

I mean, afterall, its just a OS. I don't see the point of people worshipping it as a religion.

Toasty

Sony battery
Yeah, the way I see it, Windows isn't better than Linux and Linux isn't better than Windows. They're just different, and rightly so since they have different goals. If someone likes one and not the other, no need to get worked up about it. I like the concept of Linux, but I'll still be using Windows for a looong time. Anyway I think I drug this thread off-topic so I'll shut up now. :)

SamuraiMushroom

I put ubuntu on my laptop after giving it a new hard drive, because only one of my XP CDs was at my house, the other was at my dad's. I decided the jiggly windows looked cool, the multi-desktops would be SO USEFUL (Hah) and it would just be a great OS. And then I tried to install ZSNES. Now, I had never had even a remote experience with Linux before. It took me about three hours to get it installed, and I had no idea why anyone would subject me to something like this.
However, I will easily stand by the argument that Linux is superior, installations aside. With ubuntu, I was really surprised at how many things are already there, bittorrent, web browsers, anything you didn't have you could install in a second off of the application database, and lastly, the one I really didn't expect, was SVN. But, before we get into an argument about operating systems, let's get back to the barely discussed Mupen64k.

Toasty

Sony battery
Yeah, software installation really drove me insane when I first used Linux. Absolutely nothing like Windows in most cases! The terminal can be pretty intimidating, eh? :p