What's new

Monitor to T.V. help.

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
I got the 'S-Video' ( That's what it's called, right? ) cord, and I'm wondering what to do from here. I can't find anything helpful on google.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
You need a video card that supports TV out, which I think your card doesnt, I have one of those cards, it didn't for me, but there are different models, so you might. Then you need either a TV that supports S-Video In, or RCA in, if you have RCA in (red white yellow) you need a switch box, (like I have) that will convert S-Video to RCA and then to TV.

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Assuming your TV has an S-Video port, you just plug the cable between your TV and your Geforce, change the channel to your S-Video channel (see your TV instruction manual), then turn on the output through your advanced display properties. I have an ATI so someone else with an NVidia card will have to help you there. If your TV doesn't have an S-Video input then you need an adapter to use composite instead. I believe NVidia is similar to ATI in that the output on the card is seven pins instead of just the four standard S-Video pins, with the composite being one or two of the extra pins so the special adapter is required. I had to buy one from ATI so I could record to my VCR. I assume you can do the same except from NVidia if you go this route.

Edit: HD's post wasn't there when I started replying, but he brings up some good points too.

Last edited:
OP
Dysprosium

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
Thanks, and I"m positive my Video Card supports S-Video. :p My TV doesn't have a port for it, so I plugged it in my DVD/VCR, And the manual doesn't have anything on S-Video. How would I get it to work from there? >.<

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Your DVD/VCR has an S-Video input? Nice. BTW, what manual says nothing about S-Video? Your video card manual or your DVD/VCR manual? If you're talking about your vid card then try looking under connecting the card to your TV. S-Video is usually assumed so you may not find it directly. If you're talking about the DVD/VCR, than are you sure the S-Vid is an input and not an output? I suppose since it is a vcr and dvd player then they may have included an input as a pass-through but I really haven't a clue on this one. What brand/model is it? Maybe something can be found on the 'net.

liteuser

I'll be Back!
Hi,
If your tv does not have S-Video then you need to buy a RF Modulator the same kind you get for a dvd player . One can be bought at radioshack or wallmart , sears has them too lots of stores should be between $20 and $40 USD. Thats what I have mine run on and its been working fine for years . By the way I have my tv out running to a 27 inch flat screen tv and the color on games is so much brighter no more fiddleing with the card and/or monitor brightness level its way cool . Later

Edit: Here is the one I have.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_003_010_009_000&product_id=15-1214

Last edited:
OP
Dysprosium

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
Well, I'm almost positivie that my VCR/DVD player has S-Video Input, not output. I could be wrong, but I think that's what it has. As for the model :

Toshiba DVD/VCR, don't know much more about it. The DVD/VHS player has nothing about it in the manual.

liteuser

I'll be Back!
Hi,
I have never seen a S-Video in on a vcr or dvd player , both of my dvd players and vcr have S-Video out . I have my S-Video from my geforce running into the RF modulator out into the vcr via coax cable with my two dvd players hooked into the vcr via rca jacks , then out from the vcr to two tvs a regular 27 inch tv and a flatscreen 27 inch so I can record gameplay, satalite (direct tv) , movies , dvds movies, and just about anything eles I would want to record on a vcr tape . The reason for two dvds is one has surround sound 5.1 with speakers . and the other one supports all video formats Svcd Vcd Mpeg and so on plus also has dolby 5.1 (Was only $30 for that one at sears) and on top of that I have my pc audio running into the surround as well so im totally hooked up here. sounds like you need a Rf modulator, but I could be wrong if your vcr or dvd is S-Video in. So basicly I can surf the net , watch tv and play a game all at the same time , oh and did I mention I have a tv tuner also lol.

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
The current models on Toshiba's website are SD-V391 and SD-V392. Both of them have an s-video out but no input. If yours is an older model, chances are it is the same way. If there is only a single s-video port on it I can guarantee it is an output. Unfortunately you will have to go with an adapter to go from your card to your TV or VCR. Or an RF modulator as mentioned. If you can get your hands on an adapter though it will likely be cheaper. Mine was $5 from ATI (plus $10 shipping/handling- the criminals. Well, it was shipped from Canada after all). You will need a different one though. I believe nvidia's pinouts are different. Unfortunately I just did a quick search and didn't find anyone selling one. Nvidia has a store, but unlike ATI they only sell clothes (clothes???) at it. Another site had ATI accessories but no Nvidia. Hmm. Guess the RF modulator is your best choice.