What's new

Monitor Hunt

Eagle

aka Alshain
Alright, I cant afford it yet but I'm thinking ahead. I've never bought an LCD monitor before, whats a good response time for a gaming system? I've heard 16ms is too high, so 12ms? 8ms? Anything else to look for specifically?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
16ms too high, who told you that? well in any case, mine is 16ms and I always play games, no problems whatsoever. i've heard people get "ghosting" problems on lcd monitors but I haven't seen that with this. Generally you want to go for 16 or less, the lower the better. 16ms is perfectly fine though, i'd be worried if you bought one with 20ms though.

I've got this monitor--> its a nice one, 19"
http://www.buy.com/prod/Sharp_LL191..._With_Speakers_font_b/q/loc/101/10383785.html

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
I'm looking for one too. Personally, I'm interested in one with good colour fidelity (supposedly some LCD's don't have good contrast). And one whose brightness doesn't fade away when you change the angle - probably impossible for the technology, although I heard the new glossy coating helps. Response time is important too of course.

Any recommendations? i'm looking at 17".

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
LCD Shoots light in one direction, thats why it appears to lose brightness when you look at it from a different angle.

CRT shoots light in all directions, thats why it doesn't :p

Despite that, i'd never fit a 19" CRT on my desktop here and the amount of room saved outweighs that disadvantage. LCD's are also better for your eyes as well as you're less likely to get eye-strain or headaches from them.

This one looks an alright 17" monitor zAlbee, currency is in £ though. you can probably find it in $.

http://shopping.zdnet.co.uk/shopping/monitors/lcd-flat-panel/0,20000327,20628143p,00.htm

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Personally I'm looking for a 19" but I did see a good one on newegg that 8ms. Problem was it was almost $550. It may be worth it though.

smcd

A friend works at Staples and says that Acer has really come around in the past year. @ TigerDirect (I don't like them but i do shop around) they have an Acer 19" for around $229 or so after rebates, might be worth looking into that one. I too am looking for a new monitor, this one is about to die (has been that way for the past 4 months or so)

flow``

flow``
i was in the same situation about 2-3 weeks ago.. after comparing and comparing, the best 19" for a reasonable price came to be the hyundai l90d+ (make sure it has the +)

http://www.hyundaiq.com/pro_l90d+.asp

19 Inch Multiscanning LCD Monitor
- 19 Inch Viewable SXGA(1280x1024) LCD
- Brightness 300 cd/㎡
- Contrast Ratio 700 : 1 (Typical)
- Response Time 8ms
- High quality screen rescaling capability
- Image Color Matching Profile
- Analog & Digital Interface
- Built-in power supply
- Power Management (VESA DPMS)
- Plug-and-Play (VESA DDC1/2B Compatibility)
- TCO'99 Certified
- Support VESA Physical Mounting Interface
- Built-in Speaker (2W x 2ch) & Earphone Jack
- Pivot & Height/Tilt Stand

you're not going to find much better then that at a reasonable price (~$350)

you dont have to use the build in speakers, plus they are on the back of the panel so they arent really noticeable, and the 8ms response time and 700:1 contrast ratio.. its a deal

btw, great for gaming ;-) the only catch is, 85 htz refresh rate with analog, and 60 with digital.. but i didnt see anybody offer anything much better then that.. just a downside of lcds

it has a really nice adjustable stand.. came with both digital and analog, power, and speaker cord.. i dont have much bad to say about this lovely thing ;) i guess the only thing that might be a con is the location of the menu/select/volume/audio/power buttons.. which are located on the bottom size of the panel and not in front so they're a little hard to see.. not that i change settings a lot, but it is different from most monitors/lcds..

also it came with no dead/stuck pixels which was nice ;) i highly recommend it

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
flow`` said:
btw, though it says its an 8 bit panel (16.7 million colors).. its 6 bit dithered.. dont let them lie to you :p
eh? i thought we were talking about monitors here... LCDs dither the colours now? that kind of turns me off.

flow``

flow``
some panels dither, some dont.. most 8/12 ms lcds do though. a good crt is almost always better then any lcd you can buy. but lcds look nice, take less power, and are a LOT easier to carry around then a 40-50 lb monitor. sadly you wont get near the resolutions or refresh rates on a lcd that you can get on a good ol crt.. so its comes down to price and preference and what your purposes are.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, I need some clarification. A DVI-I monitor will not plug into a DVI-D video card. Will a DVI-D monitor plug into a DVI-I video card? I understand that DVI-I carries the Analog signal on the 4 extra pins, but if your monitor is DVI-D then you aren't using those anyway, right?

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
edit. NM, I think I'm gonna go with the Hyundai flow`` suggested. The other one he suggested had too many complaints of dead pixels. I still would like to know the answer to the above question though.

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
flow`` said:
some panels dither, some dont.. most 8/12 ms lcds do though. a good crt is almost always better then any lcd you can buy. but lcds look nice, take less power, and are a LOT easier to carry around then a 40-50 lb monitor. sadly you wont get near the resolutions or refresh rates on a lcd that you can get on a good ol crt.. so its comes down to price and preference and what your purposes are.

But, isn't comparing the refresh rate like comparing apples and oranges. Wouldn't that be like choosing to get a Pentium 4 instead of an Athlon, because of a higher frequency? Don't LCD look as good at 60 hz as at 85 hz?

I'm just asking a question.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
RJARRRPCGP said:
But, isn't comparing the refresh rate like comparing apples and oranges. Wouldn't that be like choosing to get a Pentium 4 instead of an Athlon, because of a higher frequency? Don't LCD look as good at 60 hz as at 85 hz?

I'm just asking a question.

Yes it is actually, refresh is nothing to an LCD. Well I went to circuit city and I can get one Identical but made by samsung (and no speakers) for almost the same price. I'd rather get one here in town than order on line so this is perfect.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/...eUser=&prod_id=BI19BSSB&selTab=Specifications